Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crunch81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2014
Good day people,

Greetings from the Netherlands.

A lot has been said about this but not the things I want to know so here a short question:

Will the possibility of damaging the retina display be no longer here when I use this combination:

-shaggymax display cloth
-screen protector (moshi or a different one)
-Speck clear hard case
-palm rest cover
-track pad cover

Will this combination prevent the damage on the display?

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the answers.

thetechfixer

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2010
Canada
Everything should be fine, although I would not get a Screen Protector cause it will reduce the clarity of the display

Crunch81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2014
Thanks for the reply,

But here is the problem: when I do nit use a screen protector, the screen can get damaged due to the trackpad and palm rest cover, that's the reason why I get the screen protector.

Apple gave a statement which states that tou need to stop using palm rest covers otherwise your display will get scratched.

mattbaar26

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
Your best protection would be to not use a palm rest cover and all of that, the computer is designed to not scratch the screen from normal opening and closing

jadAce

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2013
The main question is really why you're putting so much stuff on your rMBP. Covering it up so much will help a little protect it against external damage, but the disadvantages are slightly greater - you're increasing the weight of the MacBook significantly. The Palm Rest Cover and Trackpad Cover are going to scratch the display (because it's so thin), and the screen protector is just going to decrease the quality of your display. I would recommend just taking everything off an enjoying your MacBook - clean it once every week or so with an iKlear kit.

jadAce

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2013
Thanks for your reply, but could you please explain the quote above?

Sure. If you look at your rMBP, you'll notice that the whole body is really thin. This is because the design team at Apple focused on removing bulk and making the design limited to "essential" things.

So the Retina display on the rMBP is already very close to the keyboard and trackpad (there is already very little space between the keyboard/palmrest/trackpad and screen). This is why Apple officially recommends not to use palmrest/trackpad covers (anything extra between the screen and keyboard/trackpad/palmrest is likely going to scratch it).

Of course, if you use a screen protector, this will not happen (because it covers the screen), but then, your display quality will decrease significantly (and you won't really enjoy the Retina display you paid so much for).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.