Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Timeful, described as "the first intelligent time manager" for mobile devices, is a new iOS app designed to help users manage their lives by combining a time management app with a calendar, a to-do list, and habits. Timeful aims to provide a personalized experience that encourages people to commit to various self-improvement activities and complete goals.

The app connects to the calendar on an iOS device, importing already existing events into a daily view that includes all tasks that must be completed. It also incorporates to-do functionality, allowing users to create tasks and file them under separate colored headings like Personal, Work, Fun, and, Important. To-do tasks can be scheduled for "Today," "Tomorrow," "Someday in the next 7 days," or on a specific date.

timeful.jpg
Specific calendar events can be scheduled in much the same way, entering the task and selecting a time. One major negative of Timeful in comparison to other calendar apps is the fact that it doesn't accept conversational input, meaning users have to manually select times and dates for calendar events.

Along with accepting calendar and to-do input, Timeful also includes a "Habits" feature that sets it apart from other time management and task apps. With Habits, users can enter frequently repeated tasks such as "Take a Walk," selecting preferred days and times to perform the tasks, which Timeful will then work into a busy schedule. Events and habits show up directly on the calendar at scheduled times, while to-dos are listed at the top and can be completed at any time during the day.

As users complete tasks and fulfill habits, Timeful will learn more about a person's habits, figuring out the optimal time to present each task for completion.

Timeful is the first Intelligent Time Assistant that gets things scheduled so you'll get them done.

Timeful combines your calendars and to-do lists so you can see everything that's competing for your time in one place. It uses sophisticated algorithms and behavioral science to suggest - based on your own available time and location - the best times to schedule to-dos and good habits throughout your day.
Timeful can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Intelligent Time Management App 'Timeful' Launches on iOS

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
I'm glued to OmniFocus 2.

It's hard to transition to a new to-do type app when you're so used to one you're already using. I'm super lazy and just throw everything into Evernote (events in Fantastical). I used to use OmniFocus but it took too much effort to keep everything organized (also, high learning curve).

Maybe Timeful is the solution for me.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Why IS it for free? What's the catch?

it accesses all your private info and then uploads it to their servers?

The app connects to the calendar on an iOS device, importing already existing events into a daily view that includes all tasks that must be completed. It also incorporates to-do functionality, allowing users to create tasks and file them under separate colored headings like Personal, Work, Fun, and, Important. To-do tasks can be scheduled for "Today," "Tomorrow," "Someday in the next 7 days," or on a specific date.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I find all these apps fail to account for all the time wasted fiddling with a time management app.

I'll give it a go though, because successfully arranging a busy week into a tidy chart provides about 73% of the psychological reward as actually getting those tasks done, and by the end of the editing session I'm often relaxed enough to sack off Monday's work entirely and worry about it some other time.

Xytal

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2010

Really think this app looks cool and may be a way to get me organized (haven't found a good app to fit in), but I agree, little nervous about this (and I'm usually not). =\

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere

Not sure that is what the statement means.

----------

It is written there in the article...

Y'all are some paranoid folks. Thinking that everything want to learn your personal habits and is tracking you.

What are you doing that is so important that some new startup app trying to get started will benefit by tracking your where abouts?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

By making an app that improves productivity free, the productivity of each member of the human race that uses it is increased.

I meant that kind of sarcastically, but I think that's actually the logic behind Light Table being free.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/

They probably just want to get lots of users. My app (unrelated to this), once it's released, will be free with no ads until I choose to put ads. If it's very successful, I might be better off with no ads just to get more users and more publicity. That's being optimistic, of course.

I just hope that people don't automatically accuse my app of taking the tiny amount of info it needs to function and selling it. These NSA conspiracy theories could ruin it for me. I'm not going to reveal the identity of my app, or else it would look like I'm trying to defend myself, but my app honestly does NOT give any info to anyone.

Last edited:

henryngan2006

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2014
Why does macrumors report about this app?
Is it because this app is so great, or did the company pay MR to report this?

I also have an app that's going to be released, how do I get my app reviewed?

ciaocibai

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2011

According to recode:

In addition to the researchers-turned-founders, Timeful is being built by a team of about 20 with histories at Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Apple, Groupon and Google.

The Mountain View, Calif.-based company has raised $7 million from Khosla Ventures along with Kleiner Perkins, Greylock partners, Data Collective, Pitango and Ashton Kutcher’s A-Grade Investments.

For lots of startups users = valuation. Not that I agree, but they've got the funding to try and get there.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Originally Posted by Zxxv
Not sure that is what the statement means.

----------

Originally Posted by mw360
It is written there in the article...

Y'all are some paranoid folks. Thinking that everything want to learn your personal habits and is tracking you.

What are you doing that is so important that some new startup app trying to get started will benefit by tracking your where abouts?

I meant that maybe they upload your private data and then share it with some people who would like instance access to where you are and what you have planned. I can't think of anyone who would want that sort of info at the moment , maybe you can.

*Following the its free you are the product model of business.

Last edited:

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
England
Lovely idea for an app, and it looks great, but the to-do list is far too simple to be of use. It doesn't know that you may need to do tasks in a certain order so you'd end up spending time shuffling the to-dos around on the calendar manually anyway, completely defeating the purpose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.