Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Beats Electronics today posted a new video to its Twitter account, celebrating Apple's acquisition of the company alongside Beats Music. The short video (via 9to5Mac) features Beats Pill mascots Tina and Mikey excited about the acquisition, with Siri informing the two that Dr. Dre would be having a party to celebrate.

When the two ask Siri for directions to the party, Siri informs them that the party is by invitation only. When pressed further, Siri responds "Sorry, I didn't get that", poking fun at virtual assistant's typical response when it doesn't work properly.

Earlier today Apple updated its website with a new page celebrating the Beats acquisition, titled "Welcome to the family".

Update 8/2 12:00 PM PT: The Beats Electronics tweet featuring the video has been deleted from Twitter.

Article Link: Beats Pill Mascots and Siri Join Forces in New 'Apple and Beats' Video

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
Oh God what the hell is this? This commercial is terrible and so un-Apple and it shows that we need Steve back...too bad he couldn't have been cloned so that we'd have another one.

Steve would never have allowed this

Last edited:

mistafro

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2003
HATERS SHUT UP!!, you don't see the true message! Apple is basically saying "Beats Pill dudes" you are getting the axe! You ain't invited! pure genius! Wake up haters and see this! Apple ain't buying beats for what they have out now, it's for where they will take it! Read the PR and it's all about the future, Apple will take beats to a whole new level, and to be more precise... will take music to a whole new level!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
OK... you've had your fun... now you all just get that out of your system right now.

Reminds me of some awful student-animated late-night car insurance ad. I expected The General to show up.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
WTF is this crap? No, seriously... easily the worst Apple commercial ever.

hoorayberet00

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2014
Yea not feeling the Apple and Beats video

I'm sure this commercial was supposed to be funny. And don't get me wrong, I love the animation and the characters.... but as an Apple customer, I hate hearing the "Sorry, I didn't get that" from Siri - especially when it's about asking Siri directions (like what the character experienced in the commercial). Apple Maps continues to not work correctly (I despise that it will offer three routes, all 3 being toll roads). It's sad that although Siri is out of Beta...it's still not really a true virtual assistant. It's frustrating, too, that Apple offers a public beta of OS X Yosemite but not a public beta of iOS 8. Since Siri was released as a public beta, why not do the same with iOS 8? As a student with a disability, it would be great to offer Apple valuable feedback to enable a very polished final version of iOS 8. So with my awful experience with Siri, Apple Maps, and being a wall-hugger (b/c of poor battery life on my iPhone and MacBook Pro)...I have to say that I really don't find Siri's selective hearing to be fun. And reporting this feedback to Apple is very much like Siri: they don't seem to "get" the customer feedback and resolve issues faster. This commercial doesn't make me feel good about Apple or Beats....or rather, "Sorry I didn't get that" commercial. Thank you for letting me vent.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
1) Apple didn't make this
2) It's not an ad
3) First it was iOS 7, then the dropping of the 17 inch, then it was the 5C, now it's this video. What's going to be the next "APPLE IS DYING STEVE WOULD HAVE NEVER ALLOWED THIS!!!1!1!1!1!1!!!########" topic?

Y'all are so rediculous. This isn't even that bad of an ad. Apple has made way worse. I'm talking way way way worse. Y'all making this tiny video out to be like someone bombed the Apple HQ. It was funny to see the overreactors at first but now its just really annoying.

Last edited:

oldwren

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Considering that the note on the Beats homepage is so poorly typeset, using horribly kerned text set in Myriad Regular (not Light) with "straight" apostrophes—even using Hoefler for the headline, presumably to try match Apple's old branding (which actually used Garamond)—and considering that the Apple and Beats logos are shown side by side in the video, separated with a line, I can't see how this is the work of Apple's marketing team.

(Not to mention, of course, the awful, awkward content of the video.)

I really hope this is the Beats team's final, er, thing.

[/tired type nerd rant]

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
I... I'm usually the last one to say this; I mean I usually try to find some good even in Apples worst ads.

And I think this okay, but just this once. Please don't make a second one of these Apple

[EDIT: So wait -- this isn't an official Apple ad. What are y'all complaining about?]

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Are the complainers really serious?! I always felt Apple customers we sharper than all the noise I keep hearing about Beats. I wonder if Katy Perry was the partner instead of Dr Dre if the outrage would be equivalent? Most likely not. You guys are so biased you can't even see the message in the ad down to the Siri's final response. She was pretending she couldn't hear him because he kept insisting on the directions and she wasn't giving them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.