Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2013
Camera gets better. Pictures get bigger. OS gets bigger. Apps get bigger. They want us to keep buying their music, etc.

16GB is ridiculous.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
It's to much of a money spinner for them I don't see them killing it for a long time.

Kealohilani

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
I don't understand why they begin at 16gb myself. The price of memory has been getting cheaper and cheaper but that stays the same. Eventually I would think they would drop the 16 and start at 32. But the 16gb is a big seller for them so it also makes since that they can get 16gb of memory for less than what it costs to get 32gb and then sell it to all those people that want the cheapest option or don't need a lot of memory.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
16GB has been enough for the large majority.

None of us make up the majority. But I agree, its time for an upgrade, especially if the new camera grows in MP.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2013
So don't buy it, buy the larger capacity

My point is that for example the entry level iPad $499 should be 32GB. I don't want to pay $599 to get 32GB.

----------

I don't understand why they begin at 16gb myself. The price of memory has been getting cheaper and cheaper but that stays the same. Eventually I would think they would drop the 16 and start at 32. But the 16gb is a big seller for them so it also makes since that they can get 16gb of memory for less than what it costs to get 32gb and then sell it to all those people that want the cheapest option or don't need a lot of memory.

I think 16GB is a big seller just because it is the entry level price.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
So don't buy it, buy the larger capacity

Well that is just a silly response. I mean sure, the logical solution is to buy a larger capacity but are you telling me that you do not agree that 16GB as a baseline is not a bit low nowadays? Are you telling me that you would not appreciate knowing that the entry price and point for the iPhone is 32GB? Surely you're aware that flash storage has come down in price per unit quite substantially since the 16GB was originally released. At some point it would be very nice to see 16GB dropped or reserved for the 5C and allow 32GB to be the base.

Some people want a larger iPhone but do not want to sacrifice viewing quality and as a result to accommodate HD viewing, apps, photos & video takes up more space. Not everyone is immediately pushing to the cloud nor are they using the cloud to maximize their space. It is not uncommon to want to store files locally.

So sure, we can all buy a larger capacity but just saying that kind of lends me to reply with "no **** sherlock". Don't you think? :)

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
My point is that for example the entry level iPad $499 should be 32GB. I don't want to pay $599 to get 32GB.

I understand your point, I just disagree with the way people state it
It isn't that they want the 16GB to go away, they want lower prices

If you want higher capacity, it is available... for a price
Like everything else in life

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013

Sure. However, the base 16GB memory option has been around for years, back when cameras had far less MP and memory itself was more expensive for the manufacturers. To release the iPhone 6 with a 10+ megapixel camera and a bumped up price, but to only supply 16GB as the base model, would be a cheap move by Apple IMO - but I fully expect them to do this. Sure Samsung and HTC have a 16GB base model, but it comes with an SD memory card slot. I can pick up a 16GB SD card for less than $10.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I don't believe it will go away. I am sure a lot of people would move to a 32GB if it was the same price. Personally I think the 32GB should be the entry level phone. With what the phone has replaced these days, the 16GB is almost ridiculous.

Most people are probably using it due to price and plans that they have. Not everyone can afford to spend that extra hundred or two for more GB.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Sure. However, the base 16GB memory option has been around for years, back when cameras had far less MP and memory itself was more expensive for the manufacturers. To release the iPhone 6 with a 10+ megapixel camera and a bumped up price, but to only supply 16GB as the base model, would be a cheap move by Apple IMO - but I fully expect them to do this. Sure Samsung and HTC have a 16GB base model, but it comes with an SD memory card slot. I can pick up a 16GB SD card for less than $10.

Personally, I don't care whether the 16GB stays or goes, I have always purchased the highest capacity device, iPhone and iPad

But not everyone uses their phone as a camera (shock, I know) and even those that do don't always store their pics on the camera (cloud, Dropbox, Google+, Google Drive, or locally on their computer with iPhoto, etc.)

For someone wanting a phone to get email, make calls, run a few apps like maps and such, etc. and store their photos and music on their computer/cloud and only carry a playlist or two, the 16GB might be an option for them. Apparently they still sell quite a few of them.

If Apple dropped the price point of the 32GB to the 16GB and dropped the 16GB further, would people scream to drop the 16GB? IDK, but my point is... it isn't the 16GB, it is the price that is the issue for most people when they say drop the 16GB because they simply want the 32GB at the 16GB price point.

I'm all for lower prices too, who isn't... just say you want cheaper devices :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

I disagree. Though you clearly glossed over what I typed for whatever silly reason. This isn't just about cheaper, it is about paying a price for something that is of greater value. Perhaps a point you cannot understand or I am not articulating well enough. There is a premium paid with Apple products to have a very good device but at some point paying what we pay for 16GB is definitely not a good value.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
All of this is just to ask for lower prices. Memory size has nothing to do with it as you can buy any size you want. The biggest seller is the 16GB model so why would Apple change that and keep the price the same? Not gonna happen.

iPhone is a premium device and will sell at a premium price. Buy whatever phone you like. Demand will determine the price. :apple:

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
Camera gets better. Pictures get bigger. OS gets bigger. Apps get bigger. They want us to keep buying their music, etc.

16GB is ridiculous.

The 16 GB is for ppl like me who still has 7 GB of storage left even though he is satisfied with his phone..

If they kill the 16 GB, the price would start from 32 GB.. And besides, when the phone is in it's 3rd year, they launch an 8 GB phone( which is more pathetic)

Mechayoshi

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2014
The Mushroom Kingdom
16 gb is for the people that want a device at the base price and will only stream music and movies while using only a few apps. Since a lot of people fall under that category, why would that storage option disappear?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002

You don't want to pay. That's the key phrase, and the entire reason you started a thread to whine about it.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Sure some people are moaning because they want more memory and can't afford/justify it, but some are moaning because they feel ripped off. It's about value for money. Apple charge what, an extra £75-100 for an additional 16GB of memory? Is that good value when the 16GB model is already in top premium territory? With an Android device you can double your memory with an SD card which costs £5.

Times have changed and tech has moved on, as it always does. 16GB of flash memory used to cost Apple much more than it does now, and people need more storage space than they did back then. Sure there will always be the light users who use next to no memory, download no apps and buy nothing from iTunes but are Apple really catering for them? Should iPhones be geared towards the light user and anyone who really buys into the Apple ecosystem should have to pay through the nose for the privilege?

I buy the 32GB iPhones, but yeah I feel ripped-off. The device is useless to me with only 16GB, and Apple happily rape my wallet knowing that heavy users will reluctantly pay.

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
Personally, I don't care whether the 16GB stays or goes, I have always purchased the highest capacity device, iPhone and iPad

But not everyone uses their phone as a camera (shock, I know) and even those that do don't always store their pics on the camera (cloud, Dropbox, Google+, Google Drive, or locally on their computer with iPhoto, etc.)

For someone wanting a phone to get email, make calls, run a few apps like maps and such, etc. and store their photos and music on their computer/cloud and only carry a playlist or two, the 16GB might be an option for them. Apparently they still sell quite a few of them.

If Apple dropped the price point of the 32GB to the 16GB and dropped the 16GB further, would people scream to drop the 16GB? IDK, but my point is... it isn't the 16GB, it is the price that is the issue for most people when they say drop the 16GB because they simply want the 32GB at the 16GB price point.

I'm all for lower prices too, who isn't... just say you want cheaper devices :)

If they replaced 16 with 32, even a memory snob like you would benefit from the increase. Unless you don't care about actual usage. If they offered 128GB for three times the price of the phone I'm sure you'd be all over it. I think the point of the thread is the baseline memory should be higher as the rest of the phone improves.

Kealohilani

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
I think 16GB is a big seller just because it is the entry level price.

I agree. So from a business stance it makes since to keep the 16gb model. They can make it for less I imagine (even if only slightly), so they would make more profit.

That being said, I wish they would drop it and make the base 32gb. That's the one that I get and it would be nice if it were a little cheaper.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
The iPhone and iPad should be 32gb standard by now.

I have no problems with them offering discounted models with 16gb like the newest iPod touch but the iPhone is the same price as ever and memory prices must have fallen dramatically in that time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.