Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
With iOS being almost exactly the same with nothing to really set the iPad apart, what's the point of an iPad when the 5.5" iPhone comes out? Even more hilarious is how useless the iPad mini will look next to it

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The iPad is more useful in situations where a phone isn't.

The phablet will certainly take away some sales of the iPad Mini, but not a lot imo, I think the iPad has its own benefits that the phone cannot fully replace.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I don't understand why you think the iPad mini will look useless next to the 5.5" iPhone 6, it's screen is more than twice the size and is able to take full advantage of iPad optimised apps.

macrumors-iphone-5-vs-iphone-6-vs-ipad-mini-610x402.jpg

vancleef

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
I have a Note 3 which is 5,7" and I am tempted to buy an iPad Mini when it's updated. My use case for it will be magazine/news reader and portable video player. The Note 3 is great in many ways but I really prefer something larger when it comes to reading longer texts.
My point is, the gap in screen size between the largest iPhone and smallest iPad is still large enough to keep them as useful companions.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
I don't understand why you think the iPad mini will look useless next to the 5.5" iPhone 6, it's screen is more than twice the size and is able to take full advantage of iPad optimised apps.

The 4.7" and a mini maybe I can see that combo work, 5.5" sales will kill the mini sales and hurt the iPad

Still no split screen multi tasking on iPad, so what's the point and difference?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The 4.7" and a mini maybe I can see that combo work, 5.5" sales will kill the mini sales and hurt the iPad
Same thing happened to iPod sales when the iPhone came out years ago. Apple said that they were fine with losing sales to themselves.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Still no split screen multi tasking on iPad, so what's the point and difference?

Attaching pictures of iPhone Calendar and iPad Calendar. See the difference?

And btw, this has me thinking, should a 5+ inches iPhone perhaps use the iPad interface?

Attachments

• iphone calendar.jpg
    iphone calendar.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 273
  • ipad calendar.PNG
    ipad calendar.PNG
    149.5 KB · Views: 360

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX

What does this have to do with your original post?

Wouldn't not having split screen multitasking be a reason to have two devices?

To answer your original post, just like for all of the previous generations, my iPhone and my iPad will serve different purposes. Some people only need/want one device, others want multiple devices. Luckily, Apple will sell you as many devices as you want! :)

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I'm happy with my iPad retina mini and use it all the time. The arrival of a larger iPhone will make no difference; the iPHone will still be too small for comfortably reading pdf documents, books, and such. On the other hand, I do admit that because I use a mini, I have no interest in getting a larger phone.

Mechayoshi

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2014
The Mushroom Kingdom
What's the point of the iPad when the 5.5" iPhone 6 releases?

And btw, this has me thinking, should a 5+ inches iPhone perhaps use the iPad interface?

Remember that even if you copy the ipad interface, the aspect ratio is still different. I guess it could be done but it might still be a bit cramped, even on a 5.5 screen.

Anyway, my note 3 is nice but it doesn't compare to the ipad for reading, videos, and general browsing. I don't think I large iphone would change my opinion.

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
On the other hand, I do admit that because I use a mini, I have no interest in getting a larger phone.

I think if Apple does release the iPhone in multiple sizes, I'll probably go for the smaller size. I need my phone to fit in my pocket. While I do carry a bag around 90-95% of the time, for those rare times when I don't want to carry any bags, it is essential that I have at least one iOS device that fits in my pocket.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
The iPad is a different category than the iPhone.

The iPad is a different category than the iPhone.

If you want the simplest answer: iPad mini is $300 with no contract. iPhone starts at $450 for a 4S with no contract, or "free" but committing to $960 in service charges over 2 years.

Or iPad mini with Retina Display at $400 vs. iPhone 5S at $650 with no contract.

And there is no reason to think that a 5.5" display model will be the cheapest model, either.

Or if you want to compare the LTE-equipped iPads:
iPad mini with LTE: $430 without contract, but you have to pay a monthly data fee to use LTE.
iPhone 4S: $450 without contract, but you have to pay a (higher) monthly fee to use phone+LTE.

And that's just covering pure cost concerns. Many people just plain use them differently. Hell, I know people who have both a low-end 7" Android tablet and a high-end 5.5" Android phone!

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Regardless of whether a 5.5" iPhone may cannibalize some sales, in other categories a phone and an iPad do not compete at all - education, sales floor use in retail, sales rep's portfolio, kids use, ebook reading...

Bottom line is the bottom line here. That 5.5" iPhone is going to cost a whole lot more than a Mini, and have a much smaller screen. Why buy a phone (and pay monthly phone bills) when you don't need a phone?

If it matters that a screen be larger than 4" or 4.7" why stop there? Why wouldn't someone want a screen larger than 5.5"?

I'm currently sitting at a 27" iMac. Sure, I could fit everything I have arrayed on my 27" onto a 15" RMBP, but 15" is too small for my poor old eyes.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
With iOS being almost exactly the same with nothing to really set the iPad apart, what's the point of an iPad when the 5.5" iPhone comes out? Even more hilarious is how useless the iPad mini will look next to it

IPhone has iPhone apps. IPad has tablet apps.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Because the iPad is a tablet with a real screen that is usable. No matter what they do to these puny phones they are still too small for anything useful except for extremely basic email checking and texting.

That should clear it up for y'all. :D

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

Size will set them apart but there isn't much to set it apart from the rMini. I expect the 5.5" iPhone to take a significant amount of sales away from the rMini.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Because there's no way that I'm lugging around a 5.5" monster phone in my pocket but I don't mind carrying an iPad mini in my backpack.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think 4.7" iPhone + iPad Mini is perfect combo for portability.

I think many people will forgo the mini with the 5.5" I'm not saying the Mini will be useless but looking over at the alternatives forum, many Galaxy Note users stopped using their iPads.

I still think the mini will have its place, but for some, it won't

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011

Because everybody is going to buy the 5.5? I'm pretty sure the 4.7 will outsell the 5.5. (Too large, too expansive for most).

And you have to keep in mind there is still the 9.7" iPad, which is large enough to justify buying both: iPhone 5.5" and iPad Air.

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
I have an iPad Air for internet and email. If I have to carry a phone all the time, I want the smallest phone I can get. The idea of one device for everything is a bit absurd. For me, the giant phones are too big to carry in a pocket and still too small for regular internet and email use.

Good thing there are multiple sizes of these devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.