Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
It seems that SSDs have been stuck at 1TB forever. I wonder why they stalled at this capacity for so long.

I guess you can get a Sonnet PCI or some other card allowing 2 2.5" drives to connect, raid them together, and have a 2TB drive.

But I'm hoping for native 2TB SSDs. Also, I was hoping OWC would sell new memory sticks for its accelsior to up it to 2TB.

Does anyone know of any shipping 2TB SSDs?

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
It seems that SSDs have been stuck at 1TB forever. I wonder why they stalled at this capacity for so long.

I guess you can get a Sonnet PCI or some other card allowing 2 2.5" drives to connect, raid them together, and have a 2TB drive.

But I'm hoping for native 2TB SSDs. Also, I was hoping OWC would sell new memory sticks for its accelsior to up it to 2TB.

ADATA has announced that they will ship there 2tb SSD in Q4 2014 as well as a 2tb m.2 drive which sounds crazy.

Attachments

• SX930_575px.jpg
    SX930_575px.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
That is not really your standard SSD. The standard SSD is the 2.5" form factor and becoming more popular mSATA form factor.

I forget which make, crucial, corsair, but a 2.5" model came out 2 months later.

----------

Intel's P3500, P3600 and P3700 drives all come in capacity up to 2TB.

Wow, they go for like $4100. Eeek.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
ADATA has announced that they will ship there 2tb SSD in Q4 2014 as well as a 2tb m.2 drive which sounds crazy.

Thanks RP. Problem is so many "announcements" of 2TB have come and gone, I'm starting to believe none will every actually be released! :D

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I've had the accelsior since april 2012.

Well that means you bought two half-terabyte sticks a little over 2 years ago.

And now you can get actual full terabyte drives. Seems like a logical progression to me.

(Yes, I agree it would be nice to see an Accelsior with 2 TB, but that has more to do with what OWC thinks will sell and less to do with the speed of SSD size increases.)

ibuick

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2014
Beijing
I just wondering which vendor can provide 3rd party late-2013 Mac Pro's PCIe SSD with larger capacity.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Well that means you bought two half-terabyte sticks a little over 2 years ago.

And now you can get actual full terabyte drives. Seems like a logical progression to me.

(Yes, I agree it would be nice to see an Accelsior with 2 TB, but that has more to do with what OWC thinks will sell and less to do with the speed of SSD size increases.)

About 2 months later, the first 2TB 2.5" drives started shipping. Think it may have been crucial. My point is thats still over 2 years that we've been stuck at 1TB SSD drives.

rueyloon

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
I'm pursuing the 2TB for my Mac Pro storage.

What I've done is I have 2x840 Evo, and I've also bought a my passport Pro, which is a dual HDD thunderbolt powered raid casing.

I'll update on how it performs when all the parts are here.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I'm pursuing the 2TB for my Mac Pro storage.

What I've done is I have 2x840 Evo, and I've also bought a my passport Pro, which is a dual HDD thunderbolt powered raid casing.

I'll update on how it performs when all the parts are here.

Nice. I'll definitely be interested in how you make out. My concern with that Passport Pro is that the SATA-TB might only be using a single PCIe lane (500MB/s) which isn't terrible of course, but not as great as it could be.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

Just to level set here....

1. The Accelsior is actually two 512GB drives in RAID 0. If you want to use that as a comparison to 2.5" drives, you would have to compare it to when 512GB drives became available because it would be no different than RAIDing 2 -512GB 2.5" SSD's.
2. 1TB drives in the consumer market really has only been available for about a year (we are not talking about dual 512's like your accelsior). The problem has been density of Flash chips.
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/news-events/press-releases/detail?newsId=12961

So based on those two facts, no 1TB drives have not been out that long. If we actually get reasonably priced 2TB SSD's THIS YEAR I would truly be surprised (not just announced but actually received!).

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Just to level set here....

1. The Accelsior is actually two 512GB drives in RAID 0. If you want to use that as a comparison to 2.5" drives, you would have to compare it to when 512GB drives became available because it would be no different than RAIDing 2 -512GB 2.5" SSD's.
2. 1TB drives in the consumer market really has only been available for about a year (we are not talking about dual 512's like your accelsior). The problem has been density of Flash chips.
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/news-events/press-releases/detail?newsId=12961

So based on those two facts, no 1TB drives have not been out that long. If we actually get reasonably priced 2TB SSD's THIS YEAR I would truly be surprised (not just announced but actually received!).

Let's re-level set.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9235277/Micron_unveils_its_first_1TB_SSD_for_under_600

This shows 1TB SSDs were available in January 10 of 2013. So we're talking at least 1.66 years ago (and I could swear there was another manufacturer that released a 1TB several months earlier).

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Let's re-level set.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9235277/Micron_unveils_its_first_1TB_SSD_for_under_600

This shows 1TB SSDs were available in January 10 of 2013. So we're talking at least 1.66 years ago (and I could swear there was another manufacturer that released a 1TB several months earlier).

That says expected to be available in Q1 2013. Nowhere did it say that they were available or that they made the deadline of Q1. That is nothing more than a press release. The exact same thing you were complaining about earlier in the thread. You can't complain about press releases and then try to use one to prove your point. Which all it is really proving is that April 2012 ≠ January 2013.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Let's re-level set.

It was unveiled at CES, but it wasn't actually available until almost April 1st (I believe it was somewhere around March 20th). Either way, it still proves my point that 1TB reasonably priced CONSUMER SSD's were not available until well into 2013 which as already pointed out is NOT April 2012 as you previous stated.

We haven't had 1TB drives for over two years. At this point it hasn't actually been 18 months yet! In hard drive world, doubling capacity takes YEARS. Case in point, we've had 4TB drives for years now, and at this point we only are only just now seeing 6TB drives. No 8TB drive is even on the horizon at this point.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
It was unveiled at CES, but it wasn't actually available until almost April 1st (I believe it was somewhere around March 20th). Either way, it still proves my point that 1TB reasonably priced CONSUMER SSD's were not available until well into 2013 which as already pointed out is NOT April 2012 as you previous stated.

We haven't had 1TB drives for over two years. At this point it hasn't actually been 18 months yet! In hard drive world, doubling capacity takes YEARS. Case in point, we've had 4TB drives for years now, and at this point we only are only just now seeing 6TB drives. No 8TB drive is even on the horizon at this point.

I'm pretty sure there was another make that came out with one a little after I got the OWC. But can't remember it. Q1 means March 31st. It's still basically 1.5yrs.

You're right bout the 4TB->6TB move, it took forever. But those are mechanical/magnetic devices. My understanding is we're approaching capacity/physics limitations there.

I believe that the manufacturing process for chips has greatly advanced down to 14nm from, was it, 28nm around that time. So I was expecting/hoping that the density on SSDs would move faster than magnetic drives. I'm sure it's much easier for me to 'expect' than for them to make it so. Still, just surprised at how long it's taking.

----------

That says expected to be available in Q1 2013. Nowhere did it say that they were available or that they made the deadline of Q1. That is nothing more than a press release. The exact same thing you were complaining about earlier in the thread. You can't complain about press releases and then try to use one to prove your point. Which all it is really proving is that April 2012 ≠ January 2013.

Fair enough. I do remember another make coming out a few months after I got my OWC drive (reason I remember is it made me have a touch of buyers remorse), but I can't remember whose drive it was.

And we're not even getting press releases now from the affordable consumer makers about upcoming 2tb drives (edit: the Adata link below is for Q4, i.e. dec 31). Although maybe they have and I haven't seen them.

Last edited:

rueyloon

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
I just got my passport pro

I just fixed in my 2 x 840evo and using the Black Magic Disk Speed test, it runs at about 380mbps, even in strip0 mode, so looks like that's the limit of the controller. Disappointed. It's about 120USD used so pretty ok for a dual HDD TB case.

I also have a seagate TB HDD adapter, the speed for my 840evo is also the same for single drive mode, about 380mbps

repentix

macrumors regular
May 26, 2013

6tb drives are being sold at the moment, 8tb drive testing samples have been sent to company's for testing, so yes 8tb drives are on the horizon ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.