Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Setiawan20

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Guys i had problem buy media streaming box. i want apple tv 3 but it will updated ( rumor is november or next year ) make it confuse it. but i looking new one is amazon fire tv. anyone can review to me is good than ATV 3? How about airplay? same like atv3?

Hope anyone can help me to decide which one i must now.

betman

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
What features are you after, just something like "Airplay" or are you going to use the box for other stuff like Netflix?

tritonv3pro

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2013
Texas
I've read on forums and various site that you can install XBMC on the amazon fire tv which allows you to airplay and view a lot of streamed content. But if you have a lot of purchased content from itunes you won't be able to view this on a fire tv. XBMC would be the deciding factor for me. You could also install "plex connect" on ATV3 but to me it is still limited.

just my $0.02.

betman

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Does the Fire box allow you to change the DNS settings as easily as ATV does?

tritonv3pro

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2013
Texas
Does the Fire box allow you to change the DNS settings as easily as ATV does?

it would depend on the dns service your using, but I looked at some of the ones I've used and they appear to be straightforward.

----------

Guys i had problem buy media streaming box. i want apple tv 3 but it will updated ( rumor is november or next year ) make it confuse it. but i looking new one is amazon fire tv. anyone can review to me is good than ATV 3? How about airplay? same like atv3?

Hope anyone can help me to decide which one i must now.

if you do get the ATV3, check out the apple refurbs as they sell for $75- you'll have to wait until they are available. Target and best buy have sales right now.

Unfortunately, last week there was a "FIRE" sale and Best buy matched the amazon sale price for the Fire tv at ~$85. Plus 10% movers discount and 10% back in rewards made for a nice reduction in the price.

Setiawan20

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
What features are you after, just something like "Airplay" or are you going to use the box for other stuff like Netflix?

I just need airplay n xbmc,Because i'm outside us. N how about airplat amazon fire its good like atv3 ?

----------

I've read on forums and various site that you can install XBMC on the amazon fire tv which allows you to airplay and view a lot of streamed content. But if you have a lot of purchased content from itunes you won't be able to view this on a fire tv. XBMC would be the deciding factor for me. You could also install "plex connect" on ATV3 but to me it is still limited.

just my $0.02.

How about airplay quality is good like atv? Airplay from macbook too? Iphone? Ipad ?

----------

How do you watch or listen to podcasts on firetv?

My purpose buy media stearming box us airplay n xbmc. I will not netflix because i'm at outside us.

tritonv3pro

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2013
Texas
I just need airplay n xbmc,Because i'm outside us. N how about airplat amazon fire its good like atv3 ?

----------

How about airplay quality is good like atv? Airplay from macbook too? Iphone? Ipad ?

----------

My purpose buy media stearming box us airplay n xbmc. I will not netflix because i'm at outside us.

Airplay works well on XBMC and the quality is good and I use iPads and Iphones. I don't do much itunes mirroring as I access all of my content through xbmc. You can't beat airplay on an ATV but the XBMC quality I get is good. You also can't install XBMC on an ATV3 only on a jailbroken ATV2. You will have to sideload the XBMC app on the Fire TV.

Setiawan20

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Airplay works well on XBMC and the quality is good and I use iPads and Iphones. I don't do much itunes mirroring as I access all of my content through xbmc. You can't beat airplay on an ATV but the XBMC quality I get is good. You also can't install XBMC on an ATV3 only on a jailbroken ATV2. You will have to sideload the XBMC app on the Fire TV.

But i need xbmc n airplay too. How about airplay using mac ? Benefit of fire tv is can install xbmc. That make confuse bcause apple not to update atv. How about if to decide which one i must take , in condition i had iphone, ipad n macbook ? Please suggest thanks

tritonv3pro

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2013
Texas
But i need xbmc n airplay too. How about airplay using mac ? Benefit of fire tv is can install xbmc. That make confuse bcause apple not to update atv. How about if to decide which one i must take , in condition i had iphone, ipad n macbook ? Please suggest thanks

Another option you can do is buy a used mac mini off the 'bay and use it as a dedicated htpc. I bought a couple (2006/2007) @ $80 to $130. You can then install XBMC and another other apps that you want. I have all of my media on a drive hooked off of an airport extreme. You also have access to a web browser and won't need to airplay from your macbook. To me this is the best and easiest option as you won't be limited by what the ATV and/or Fire TV can and cannot do. You can also buy a ATV2 and jailbreak with XBMC but that would cost you more than the mac minis that I have mentioned above.

----------

Another option you can do is buy a used mac mini off the 'bay and use it as a dedicated htpc. I bought a couple (2006/2007) @ $80 to $130. You can then install XBMC and another other apps that you want. I have all of my media on a drive hooked off of an airport extreme. You also have access to a web browser and won't need to airplay from your macbook. To me this is the best and easiest option as you won't be limited by what the ATV and/or Fire TV can and cannot do. You can also buy a ATV2 and jailbreak with XBMC but that would cost you more than the mac minis that I have mentioned above.

i hope this didn't make your decision that much harder :).

Setiawan20

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013

----------

i hope this didn't make your decision that much harder :).

thanks tri but it still make decision harder. i won't mac mini. i prefer media streaming box. because i need airplay ,but xbmc maybe be option 2. if i bought atv, i afraid it will update soon. so it my problem in there. If i bought fire tv, i afraid can't use airplay on mac and other.

so if u in postion what u will bought?

thanks

tritonv3pro

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2013
Texas
thanks tri but it still make decision harder. i won't mac mini. i prefer media streaming box. because i need airplay ,but xbmc maybe be option 2. if i bought atv, i afraid it will update soon. so it my problem in there. If i bought fire tv, i afraid can't use airplay on mac and other.

so if u in postion what u will bought?

thanks

Here is the airplay data from the XBMC wiki

An AirPlay password can be optionally set.
All platforms support video (without DRM, meaning videos downloaded from the iTunes store will not play in XBMC). Audio within the video will also work on all platforms.
All platforms support pictures.
All platforms support music (with or without DRM).
AirPlay mirroring is currently unsupported.
Videos recorded from an iDevice might not display with the correct rotation on Windows.[1]
AirPlaying music will show meta data (song/artist info, etc). Currently only works when AirPlaying from iTunes on a desktop computer.

Here are some costs:

Apple TV 2 with XBMC : $150 (if your lucky) up to $300+ and no 1080p
Amazon Fire TV with XBMC: $100 + tax and airplay good but likely not as good as ATV
ATV3 (refurb) and Fire TV (with xbmc): $175 + tax (you'll get xbmc, native airplay with ATV and can watch all HD content.
06/07 mac mini (C2D) : ~$100-~150 (depends on ebay luck) XBMC, airplay, local media access (usb), web browser. Airplay mirroring is not supported in xbmc.

I personally would go with the mac mini. I've had several ATV2 with xbmc and still found the mac mini to be a better all in one solution. I've actually sold several ATV2s and bought other goodies with the money. I don't airplay from any of our macbooks because the web browser on the mini works great. Pictures and videos airplayed from my idevices work great on minis. There have been talks of a new ATV for years and present rumors state that there could be an announcement later this your or next year. But only Apple knows.

again my $0.02.

betman

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Don't bother with a Fire TV for Netflix. The app used is a old dated buggy version.

I think the real question is how good is the range of firms/shows on Prime compared to Netflix/Hulu? If it's decent then I'd consider the Fire TV just to stream Prime.

Does Amazon even publish a complete listing? Hulu does but Netflix, on the other hand, does not.

Mockenrue

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2013
I seem to collect these devices. For what its worth, my order of use goes like this 1. Roku (daily), 2. Fire TV (3-4 times a week), 3. Apple TV (about once a week), 4. Chromecast (unplugged).

As others have said, it's all about your priorities. They all do Netflix and Youtube well enough. Roku has the most content sources, Fire TV has games and a fantastic Amazon experience, Apple TV has Airplay, and Chromecast is really cheap.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I seem to collect these devices. For what its worth, my order of use goes like this 1. Roku (daily), 2. Fire TV (3-4 times a week), 3. Apple TV (about once a week), 4. Chromecast (unplugged).

As others have said, it's all about your priorities. They all do Netflix and Youtube well enough. Roku has the most content sources, Fire TV has games and a fantastic Amazon experience, Apple TV has Airplay, and Chromecast is really cheap.

You sound like me. I have all but the Apple TV which I had but then returned because I thought Apple was going to announce a new version. Since they haven't done so, I want to rebuy it for Airplay. Like you, Chromecast is unplugged and I actually regret getting it as I never use it and find it clunky to use.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I used a jailbroke atv2 and sold it once I found out the Fire TV ran xbmc good, no regrets at all. XBMC is the best thing ever, I havent had Dish/cable in years and still watch anything I want

Setiawan20

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Don't bother with a Fire TV for Netflix. The app used is a old dated buggy version.

Lol in my country can get netflix :p

----------

Here is the airplay data from the XBMC wiki

An AirPlay password can be optionally set.
All platforms support video (without DRM, meaning videos downloaded from the iTunes store will not play in XBMC). Audio within the video will also work on all platforms.
All platforms support pictures.
All platforms support music (with or without DRM).
AirPlay mirroring is currently unsupported.
Videos recorded from an iDevice might not display with the correct rotation on Windows.[1]
AirPlaying music will show meta data (song/artist info, etc). Currently only works when AirPlaying from iTunes on a desktop computer.

Here are some costs:

Apple TV 2 with XBMC : $150 (if your lucky) up to $300+ and no 1080p
Amazon Fire TV with XBMC: $100 + tax and airplay good but likely not as good as ATV
ATV3 (refurb) and Fire TV (with xbmc): $175 + tax (you'll get xbmc, native airplay with ATV and can watch all HD content.
06/07 mac mini (C2D) : ~$100-~150 (depends on ebay luck) XBMC, airplay, local media access (usb), web browser. Airplay mirroring is not supported in xbmc.

I personally would go with the mac mini. I've had several ATV2 with xbmc and still found the mac mini to be a better all in one solution. I've actually sold several ATV2s and bought other goodies with the money. I don't airplay from any of our macbooks because the web browser on the mini works great. Pictures and videos airplayed from my idevices work great on minis. There have been talks of a new ATV for years and present rumors state that there could be an announcement later this your or next year. But only Apple knows.

again my $0.02.

Thnks i will think about that! Because i don't have so much budget. Still stuck bought atv3 or firetv

betman

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013

And Playstation TV is just around the corner too. :)

tritonv3pro

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2013
Texas
I used a jailbroke atv2 and sold it once I found out the Fire TV ran xbmc good, no regrets at all. XBMC is the best thing ever, I havent had Dish/cable in years and still watch anything I want

Can you answer the OP's question about airplay on fire tv with XBMC? I think that would help them decide which option to go with. I know the XBMC runs well but can't attest to the airplay quality on the fire tv with the latest build.

Setiawan20

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Can you answer the OP's question about airplay on fire tv with XBMC? I think that would help them decide which option to go with. I know the XBMC runs well but can't attest to the airplay quality on the fire tv with the latest build.

agree... please test it for me:)

rajivhifi

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2014
Airplay on Fire TV works well for the most part. Sometimes video does not transfer but comes on when you keep trying. On the ATV it works every time.

The Plex app from the amazon store works well on the Fire TV.

I have an ATV2 and Fire TV, both have XBMC. Fire TV is breeze compared to ATV2 for XBMC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.