Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nobodyukno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2014
Whose fault is it that airplay to ATV works fines for the slingbox app from my iPhone when my Apple TV is connected by Ethernet, but when it is connected wirelessly, the airplay can't last more than a few minutes without the stream buffering and loading.

So whose problem is it, slingbox or apple?

Nobodyukno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2014
So its a port that I have to open on the router? Any idea which one it might be?

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
So its a port that I have to open on the router? Any idea which one it might be?
Why would you think port when you are working but working "slowly". I.E. BUFFERING Problems.

The other post said that you want to use ETHERNET for stationary devices. He is absolutely right if you want to eliminate these kinds of problems. WiFi can be used but you MUST have a very strong and FAST WiFi Single to both the iPhone and the AppleTV. Especially if you are doing WiFi to your iPhone and WiFi to your ATV.

Again, if at all possible do not use WiFi for your ATV when doing this type of application. Or fight the issues with multiple routers that are closer to the devices. Like 1 router for the iPhone and anther router for the ATV.

Nobodyukno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2014
Why would you think port when you are working but working "slowly". I.E. BUFFERING Problems.

The other post said that you want to use ETHERNET for stationary devices. He is absolutely right if you want to eliminate these kinds of problems. WiFi can be used but you MUST have a very strong and FAST WiFi Single to both the iPhone and the AppleTV. Especially if you are doing WiFi to your iPhone and WiFi to your ATV.

Again, if at all possible do not use WiFi for your ATV when doing this type of application. Or fight the issues with multiple routers that are closer to the devices. Like 1 router for the iPhone and anther router for the ATV.

We'll the problem is that airplay works fine with any other app but with slingbox it works slowly unless it's connected by Ethernet

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
So whose problem is it, slingbox or apple?
quite probably, neither.

Nobodyukno said:
We'll the problem is that airplay works fine with any other app but with slingbox it works slowly unless it's connected by Ethernet
it's poor network, the surest way to fix that (as has been suggested) is wired.

if you can't use wired, make sure your wireless is healthy.
try to eliminate obstacles (walls/furniture) between your router, and the devices. (you may have to move the router)
the router should be placed in an open position, and higher is better
if your router has adjustable antennas, make sure they are oriented like the manufacturer says.
try to avoid interference. If you live in a congested area, changing the channel may help.
upgrading to a newer wireless router may help.

there are a lot of outside influences that affect wireless, too many to name here. look online there are numerous guides for getting the best out of your wireless.

also when using wireless, the bandwidth is limited, so if you start browsing the web on your laptop, it takes away from what's available to be used by the slingbox.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
13 Mbps download isn't fast enough for airplay?

that number has nothing to do with airplay.

The number your internet provider gives you, is the speed of the connection from your house to the world. (also known as WAN - wide area network) It's the speed at which web pages and other data like netflix come into your house.

airplay is entirely on your LAN (local area network) it never leaves your house.
the speed on your LAN is dependent on the technology in your house.

wired is normally 10/100 Mb/s or 10/100/1000(gigabit).
wireless can range from 50 to 1300 or more depending on the type.

you will probably never see 100% of any of those numbers in a real world application though. Poor cable quality and wireless interference comes into play.

also if you compare numbers, you'll see that even the slowest wireless is faster than the 13 Mb/s you're getting from your internet provider.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
The other post is very clear on the LAN vs. WAN. You say some Apps are able to AirPlay better then Slingbox. The following may help. But again, using WiFi for all devices in this manner can be problematic. Wired is ALWAYS better.

Airplay Mirroring is much worse then Normal Airplay Streaming. Mirroring sends a copy of the screen (iPhone) and Streaming just sends the stream. Also, with Normal Airplay Streaming the Stream may come directory from the source (Slingbox) to the ATV and not through the iOS Device to the ATV, but not positive about this. Of course if the stream is sent directly to the ATV from the Slingbox it would eliminate a lot a WiFi bandwidth going through the iOS device.

This is from the Slingbox Web Site:

Note: When you connect to a Slingbox 350, Slingbox M1, or SlingTV/Slingbox 500, SlingPlayer supports AirPlay in either standard or mirroring mode. If you connect through an older Slingbox model such as the Slingbox SOLO or PRO-HD, SlingPlayer supports AirPlay mirroring. Normal Airplay streaming may work in this configuration, but it is not supported.

With the latest release of SlingPlayer and iOS 7.x or later on your iPhone or iPad, you can run AirPlay in the background while performing other tasks in the foreground!

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
The airplay quality is determined by the strength of your router. It really has nothing to do with the speed of your internet connection, because airplay / mirroring doesn't use any. What the Apple TV does is compress the data on your iOS device, beam it over via wifi, then uncompress it for viewing on the screen.

I don't know how slingbox works, but I think you may simply need a more powerful router than the one you are currently using.

Nobodyukno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2014
that number has nothing to do with airplay.

The number your internet provider gives you, is the speed of the connection from your house to the world. (also known as WAN - wide area network) It's the speed at which web pages and other data like netflix come into your house.

airplay is entirely on your LAN (local area network) it never leaves your house.
the speed on your LAN is dependent on the technology in your house.

wired is normally 10/100 Mb/s or 10/100/1000(gigabit).
wireless can range from 50 to 1300 or more depending on the type.

you will probably never see 100% of any of those numbers in a real world application though. Poor cable quality and wireless interference comes into play.

also if you compare numbers, you'll see that even the slowest wireless is faster than the 13 Mb/s you're getting from your internet provider.

The airplay quality is determined by the strength of your router. It really has nothing to do with the speed of your internet connection, because airplay / mirroring doesn't use any. What the Apple TV does is compress the data on your iOS device, beam it over via wifi, then uncompress it for viewing on the screen.

I don't know how slingbox works, but I think you may simply need a more powerful router than the one you are currently using.

I have a Linksys E1200. Supposedly has speeds of up to 300 mbps? Is that the number that would be used for my LAN connection?

Also, if this router is not good enough for airplay, any suggestions on a better router?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.