Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fadijwaid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2014
If they're planning on using liquid metal wouldn't that make it conductive? So they wouldn't be able to use it as a window for radio waves. Why not sapphire? I think it'll be cool cool looking if they used sapphire for the rear apple logo on the i6 # what do you guys think?

Daniel3102

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2014
IMO, its stupid. Its a waste of space to have the apple logo be two components (the cut out, and the logo itself to fill the cut out). And if they just polished it in the metal, it makes it lighter than having it be in the shell of the phone.

Baklava

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
Germany
I wish they made the Apple logo glowing on the back just like they do on Macs. But that seems to be impossible since the components behind the display are blocking the displays light.

ogremoustro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
IMO, its stupid. Its a waste of space to have the apple logo be two components (the cut out, and the logo itself to fill the cut out). And if they just polished it in the metal, it makes it lighter than having it be in the shell of the phone.

I think it'd be the same weight depending on what material is used to fill in the cutout. And I don't see how it's a waste of space.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Probably cheaper to polish an enitre little item.

Than the precise tools necessary to etch/polish and exact shape in the middle of a textured region.

Daniel3102

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2014
I think it'd be the same weight depending on what material is used to fill in the cutout. And I don't see how it's a waste of space.

Yeah you're right, they might choose a lightweight material :) Its a waste of space because it would take up more room internally than if it was polished in the metal

ogremoustro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah you're right, they might choose a lightweight material :) Its a waste of space because it would take up more room internally than if it was polished in the metal

I don't think it would. Normally there isn't a cutout there and the logo is put on the outside: i5housing2.jpg

All they did was cutout a piece that's normally not cutout and filling it back in: iphone_6_shell_parts.jpg
So it's the same in the end. I think.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Why are people assuming this is liquidmetal? People have been tossing this term around too much here :rolleyes:

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
What I'm curious about: is there a FUNCTIONAL reason (NFC, wireless charging, etc) or is it just a design choice?

Daniel3102

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2014
I don't think it would. Normally there isn't a cutout there and the logo is put on the outside: View attachment 486333

All they did was cutout a piece that's normally not cutout and filling it back in: View attachment 486334
So it's the same in the end. I think.

Yeah but with the 5s, its one piece, and iP6 would be two pieces. So, they have to fill the cutout with something, and that would take up internal space

ogremoustro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah but with the 5s, its one piece, and iP6 would be two pieces. So, they have to fill the cutout with something, and that would take up internal space

No it would not. After the logo is put in the slot then it should be perfectly flat and it will seem as if there was never a cutout. It's just like they're making a hole that's not usually there and then they're simply going to fill it. They've done it before on the iPad. I don't really know how to describe it, sorry.

Here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9SbvP48edc&list=UUwiIs5V6-zX8xaYgwhRhsHQ skip to about 1:30.

Last edited:

Daniel3102

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2014

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
No it would not. After the logo is put in the slot then it should be perfectly flat and it will seem as if there was never a cutout. It's just like they're making a hole that's not usually there and then they're simply going to fill it. They've done it before on the iPad. I don't really know how to describe it, sorry.

Here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9SbvP48edc&list=UUwiIs5V6-zX8xaYgwhRhsHQ skip to about 1:30.

Believe they microtextured the logo on those iPads using a high-powered laser, actually.

sandmanfvr

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2010
Thanks that video made it clear. A notification light on the back would be ok, but would be better on the front to me at least.

sandmanfvr

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2010
That augmenting the flash to do it and if you don't flip the phone over and leave the screen facing up, its worthless. A real dedicated notification light is what I meant, but I am ok without it so no big deal.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Notification light on the back? would be a poor design choice :rolleyes:

Well others have needs that might not match yours. I keep my phone face down to protect the screen as there is a small lip on the Sedio Surface shell that keeps my screen off the surface it is laying on.

I cna adjust and will take a good notification light any where if it worked well.

And for those happy with the LED flash, it is a horrible excuse for a real notification light that can change speed of blinking, colors, etc. I came from Blackberry and it was one thing that RIM did very well allowing you inifinite adjustments to the colored LED.:eek:

Anyway, I am betting like the rest of you that Apple will not give us this, but then a few years ago they would not give us a larger phone either!:rolleyes:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
If it has no function I wish it wasn't there at all. I'm not a fan of branding on stuff I buy.

I hate how the defender case I have on my iPhone has a hole cut out to show the logo. Argh. Making matters worse on my 4S the logo is highly reflective. Looks so gaudy to me.

Abarth1200

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Guys, are we all certain this is actually going to be the final production case. I can't see apple putting a hole in the case to then fill it back in, what about this talk about making the iPhone waterproof, surely they would need orings and all sorts if they went down this route with the rear logo.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

Unless there is a reason for it.

As the OP stated, if its made of LiquidMetal a main benefit would be the logo being more resistant to scratches and scuffs.

Another more far-fetched reason may be the inclusion of NFC. Liquidmetal is conductive and the NFC chip may sit in the cutout.

Just over 2 weeks until we find out!

----------

If it has no function I wish it wasn't there at all. I'm not a fan of branding on stuff I buy.

I hate how the defender case I have on my iPhone has a hole cut out to show the logo. Argh. Making matters worse on my 4S the logo is highly reflective. Looks so gaudy to me.

Wait....you hate that Apple puts their logo on their phones? You are a marketing manager's nightmare!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.