Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpectreSupreme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
I recently received my new late 2013 Mac Pro.
Shortly after getting it I installed Windows 8.1 and installed the AMD Catalyst video drivers. Within the driver it recognized my GPUs as FirePro D300s, so I assume it is the correct driver for Windows. I turned on Crossfire, and started a game that supports Crossfire. I monitored the temperature of the CPU and GPUs and by the time the GPUs reached 85 degrees the computer crashed and went to the blue screen equivalent in Windows 8. It managed to reboot correctly, I immediately turned off Crossfire in the video driver.

Since then there have been problems.

Three times now while booting Mac OS the computer hangs on the boot screen with the grey apple logo in the center, there is a rectangle of multi-colour artifacts in the top left corner which requires a hard reboot. I just ran the Luxmark GPU test "room" on interactive which is an Open CL benchmark that maxes out the load on both GPUs and runs indefinitely. The temperature of the GPUs reached 81 degrees after 1200 seconds and the program "quit unexpectedly".

I installed Windows and had the computer crash the day after I got it so there wasn't any time to compare before and after the crash.

I was hoping that the issues in Mac OS were software related as a lot of people with the nMP have reported graphical problems related to the current version of Mavericks. I ran Luxmark to see if that was so, I figured if the program didn't crash that it was unlikely that the problem was hardware.

When I run the Apple diagnostics tool it reports that everything is fine.
I haven't contacted Apple about this yet.
I have a 3 year Applecare plan.

Can anyone here comment on this or recommend what I should do about it?

Raddock

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
Houston
I recently received my new late 2013 Mac Pro.
Shortly after getting it I installed Windows 8.1 and installed the AMD Catalyst video drivers. Within the driver it recognized my GPUs as FirePro D300s, so I assume it is the correct driver for Windows. I turned on Crossfire, and started a game that supports Crossfire. I monitored the temperature of the CPU and GPUs and by the time the GPUs reached 85 degrees the computer crashed and went to the blue screen equivalent in Windows 8. It managed to reboot correctly, I immediately turned off Crossfire in the video driver.

Since then there have been problems.

Three times now while booting Mac OS the computer hangs on the boot screen with the grey apple logo in the center, there is a rectangle of multi-colour artifacts in the top left corner which requires a hard reboot. I just ran the Luxmark GPU test "room" on interactive which is an Open CL benchmark that maxes out the load on both GPUs and runs indefinitely. The temperature of the GPUs reached 81 degrees after 1200 seconds and the program "quit unexpectedly".

I installed Windows and had the computer crash the day after I got it so there wasn't any time to compare before and after the crash.

I was hoping that the issues in Mac OS were software related as a lot of people with the nMP have reported graphical problems related to the current version of Mavericks. I ran Luxmark to see if that was so, I figured if the program didn't crash that it was unlikely that the problem was hardware.

When I run the Apple diagnostics tool it reports that everything is fine.
I haven't contacted Apple about this yet.
I have a 3 year Applecare plan.

Any time I've seen issues like that, it's invariably been the GPU's fault. I had an iMac that experienced issues just like that, and it was the GPU that had to be replaced.

Given how much these computers cost, and that you have Apple Care, it's a no-brainer for me. I would take it in immediately and get it replaced.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Any time I've seen issues like that, it's invariably been the GPU's fault. I had an iMac that experienced issues just like that, and it was the GPU that had to be replaced.

Given how much these computers cost, and that you have Apple Care, it's a no-brainer for me. I would take it in immediately and get it replaced.

+1 for this. Take it into the Apple Store.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula

Agree with the comments to take it back.

Have you tried doing a CPU stress test like Prime95 to see if CPU temps climb quickly?

It's possible that the real problem is related to the fan, and a faulty fan (or fan controller) allowed the GPUs to cook.

Derpage

Suspended
Mar 7, 2012
I would try throwing a different card in there to test if it's the GPUs or not. lol.

Einz

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2008
Something is wrong with the graphics card(s).

When I played games with crossfire enabled. The Mac gets very hot but never BSOD.

I would recommend anyone with a nMP play some crossfire enabled games to stress the Mac to make sure everything is working

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.