Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matthewtoney

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Am I being brain-dead here? I've got a late 2008 Xserve that I've just put in place - dual Quad-core 3.0 Xeon model and 16GB of ram. When I picked it up used it only came with a single power supply so I ordered a second. Looking at the system with the cover off - it plainly has the connector on the board for the second hot-swap power supply, but there seems to be a metal hood that just will not move blocking the install of the second one.

Am I missing something obvious? Is that hood supposed to just push out of the way with the install of the second PS and is hinged? (it doesn't look like it) Am I supposed to remove the whole dual PS assembly and take out that metal hood? Did they intentionally make these so that you can't add a second PS unit to it if it wasn't bought that way from the factory?

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this for me!

Matthew

jamall

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2003
Canberra, Australia
Not sure exactly what you're looking at, but unless your Xserve has been damaged at some point and has had its hinged flap replaced with something else then it should look like this when you insert the second power supply:

C1KnPU0.jpg

yRjqr5a.jpg

rmFu1mX.jpg

Also, unless you fully extend the lever at the rear of the power supply you won't be able to slide the unit all the way into position and lock it in place.

matthewtoney

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Second Power Supply

Thanks for the reply! :)

Actually, mine *does* have this hinged flap on the second PS location but mine is like your pics and that flap is on the end next to where it plugs into the motherboard. My problem is at the other end where I would insert the second PS unit - that's where it seems to be capped in my case with a non-movable bit of aluminum and I can't actually insert it.

I'm going back over to the data center where I have this installed and look at it again - hopefully I'm just missing something obvious here but I'll take some pics myself of what I'm talking about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.