Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
I have been thinking about this quite a lot recently - there are so many things I wish I could try or do but I simply do not have the skills or time neccesary to do those things. For example, I would really love to be able to write music. I have a very eclectic music taste, and like a lot of different genres that are seldom combined. Being able to write music to serve my tastes would be awesome!

Other things that I would love to be able to do - write a book, make a video game, film a movie, make a prop... the list goes on.

I can't be the only one who has a long bucket list of stuff I have to try! :)

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Learn Mandarin. I even bought the Rosetta Stone course for levels 1-5, but just never have the time.

I actually DO write/record music in my spare time, but between work and helping raise a kid... this doesn't happen very often.

HipsterGG

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2013
Start web designing and graphic designing again. But with a full-time job and a 5 days a week sports program I'm not able to. Sadly enough tho..

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Sight read on guitar. Without reading I am useless in orchestra where I get pieces I have never heard or doesn't exist in recordings in concert C, but sometimes horn music written in E flat or B flat where I have to transpose.

I wish I had the math skills of a friend who worked with many on theory of everything.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It is interesting how many people have posted that they would have liked to have learned a musical instrument; you can count me among them, too. If I have any regret of skills unmastered, it is this one; actually, I would love to be able to play a musical instrument (or three) - such as the piano, or guitar - proficiently, very proficiently.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I just wish I was normal. I can play a little piano and cello, write music, write code, draw pictures, and do photography and the like on the side. But I'm handicapped, can't drive, and so always have to depend on other people and my life revolves around their schedules.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I always wanted to be able to skateboard. I have such a bad sense of balance, its never going to happen.

My parents sent me to guitar lessons as a child, but I gave it up after a few months. Wish I'd kept it up.

Wish I'd gone to Uni as a teenager to experience what a lot of young people do.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I just wish I was normal. I can play a little piano and cello, write music, write code, draw pictures, and do photography and the like on the side. But I'm handicapped, can't drive, and so always have to depend on other people and my life revolves around their schedules.

Not being normal makes you who you are. I'm sure you wouldn't want to trade who you are for the world :).

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
I'm going to second the observation regarding learning to play a musical instrument.

I'm starting my second year of the guitar. And I still suck. But its amazing at what a much higher level of musical accomplishment that I suck than I did a year or eighteen months ago.

I don't kid myself that I'll ever be a great guitarist. I started probably thirty or forty years too late for that. But its still amazingly satisfying to get to the point where you are not just playing the notes - but playing the notes with emotion, intonation, and emphasis.

I've read considerable research regarding the neurological processes that take place when you play music. The process of managing the fine motor skills necessary to control the muscles in your fingers, combined with the mathematical and memory skills involved with remembering chords and keys and melody, keeping track of the time signature, etc. etc. - its a workout for the brain that literally cannot be equalled by any other activity known to man. Which is not to say that Ozzie Osbourne isn't both a blithering idiot and still a thousand times better musician than I'll ever be.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
... I've read considerable research regarding the neurological processes that take place when you play music. The process of managing the fine motor skills necessary to control the muscles in your fingers, combined with the mathematical and memory skills involved with remembering chords and keys and melody, keeping track of the time signature, etc. etc. - its a workout for the brain that literally cannot be equalled by any other activity known to man. Which is not to say that Ozzie Osbourne isn't both a blithering idiot and still a thousand times better musician than I'll ever be.

This is your brain on music...

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
I wish I could be professionally involved in a scientific field of study, R&D, or academia. I'm afraid I missed my opportunity to do so when I chose my path and stubbornly adhered to it for the last 30 years. Now I'm in my late forties, still doing the same thing I signed up for so long ago, and working with legions of people who always seem to consider me to be some sort of genius.

Other than that, I just need to get off my butt and write some cool iOS apps and a sci-fi novel I've been kicking around in my head for way too long.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I wish I had the time/patience to make a game. My day job is development so naturally it's the last thing I want to do in my free time. It's a pity because I have plenty of ideas but don't have the "drive" to actually implement them (plus I can't draw so I'd need to find someone else to handle that part).

iPad Air

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2013
SC, USA

There is not a thing wrong with having to depend on others. We all depend on at least one other than ourselves. You are normal.

I used to play the cello as well! But, I started a business that pulled me away eventually. I just had different priorities. But, I still greatly enjoy classical/orchestral/instrumental music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.