Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dakotadakota

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
So this new iPhone 5 battery replacement program is in place. I got my 5 brand new from TMobile about a year ago and have never had anything replaced on it. I've had terrible issues with my battery ever since having it, and took my phone into apple about 6 months ago. They looked at my phone and said my battery was completely fine (even though you could literally watch the percentage go down by the minute since taking the phone out of the box), and would only replace my battery if I paid for it. Well I checked my phone's serial for the new program that just rolled out, and it says :

*This phone is eligible for the battery replacement program

*Our records show we have already replaced this phones battery

So they won't replace my battery now and claimed that their records say they replaced it, when they most definitely did not. What can I do? Or am I just basically screwed?

Last edited by a moderator:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ask them to prove the previous replacement. What date did they replace it? Where's the documentation? Where's your signature, authorizing any repair on your phone?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you got a replacement battery already, and paid for it, then Apple will reimburse you, so you should at least get your money refunded.
If your replacement battery is still giving you the same problems, and perhaps you got a replacement prior to good batteries appearing in the system, then I think you should still be eligible for a replacement. Apple will have records about that, along with the reasons for the replacement.
You will likely not want to let the automated system (which should rightly report that your battery has already been replaced) be the final word. If it appears that your replacement is still bad, you should CALL APPLECARE, state your case (politely) that your replacement is bad. See what Apple has to say.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I got my phone last April (2013), but the serial number is within the eligible frame. Might've just sat at Tmobile for awhile.

Your situation is very strange. It would be odd for Apple to have a repair record for a repair that never took place. I would say your only hope is to elevate the issue.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I got my phone last April (2013), but the serial number is within the eligible frame. Might've just sat at Tmobile for awhile.
Did you buy AppleCare+? If not, your iPhone is no longer under warranty, which begins when you buy it.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Apple may have recorded the case, and somehow it was recorded that a battery was replaced.
Again, you will want to call AppleCare about this.
If the automated system is inaccurate (and that's not un-heard of :D), then you don't have much choice if you want to find out what Apple can do now.
Call Apple, explain your side (politely) and see what they can tell you.

dakotadakota

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Did you buy AppleCare+? If not, your iPhone is no longer under warranty, which begins when you buy it.

I didn't buy applecare+, but the program that's out now does not require it. My problem is my phone is eligible for the new program to replace the faulty battery, but they're claiming they already replaced my battery (which they did not), so now they won't replace it "again".

Braders88

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2013
Liverpool, England
That doesn't sound fair at all! Surely they must have some record of when it went in to the store for repairs if this was true? Dates, times?
Would there not be a signature from yourself to indicate a replacement and such as it seems this may have been done out of your control before you even had the phone?

I would call them up and explain the situation. Ask for times, dates and whoever approved the replacement.

Hope this helps! :(

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I didn't buy applecare+, but the program that's out now does not require it. My problem is my phone is eligible for the new program to replace the faulty battery, but they're claiming they already replaced my battery (which they did not), so now they won't replace it "again".
If you're saying your battery was part of the original group:
The affected iPhone 5 devices were sold between September 2012 and January 2013 and fall within a limited serial number range.
It's possible the battery was already replaced before you bought it. You wouldn't have any record of that.

Braders88

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2013
Liverpool, England
If you're saying your battery was part of the original group:

It's possible the battery was already replaced before you bought it. You wouldn't have any record of that.

But why would the battery be replaced if it has not even been purchased yet? Would this not indicate his "new phone" is a refurb?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
But why would the battery be replaced if it has not even been purchased yet? Would this not indicate his "new phone" is a refurb?
Nevermind. I see now that the replacements under the program were not available before the OP bought their phone.

Suspended
Sep 15, 2012

What a worthless reply. Why bother?

OP, like a previous poster said, ask them for evidence. Call Apple support over the phone and have them give you evidence, or a ticket number you can take to the store to get it replaced. File a complaint with the BBB if you need to. If your phone is indeed covered under the policy, and you really haven't had it replaced, don't let this one get away.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

OP, like a previous poster said, ask them for evidence. Call Apple support over the phone and have them give you evidence, or a ticket number you can take to the store to get it replaced. File a complaint with the BBB if you need to. If your phone is indeed covered under the policy, and you really haven't had it replaced, don't let this one get away.
Perhaps the poster made a post and then decided to take it back and since there's no way to delete a post sometimes editing it to say pretty much nothing is the simplest way to do it.

Alternatively when using the mobile site there's no good way to subscribe to a thread without posting in it, for example, so sometimes some might end up posting something just to subscribe to the thread.

As for the topic itself, agreed, sounds like Apple needs to provide some evidence to support what their system seems to be saying.

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007

There was no subject matter when I checked this thread a few times, it was totally blank. That's why I said "OK."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.