Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

otacon

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2014
I received an original A1237 Macbook Air. The hinges are broken and the screen opens all the way, flat. The machine powers on, and the screen is fully white. The machine works normally when connected to an external display.

At first I thought this meant either the LVDS cable or the lcd panel was bad. I removed the display assembly from the machine in preparation for replacing either the LVDS cable or the LCD panel (or both). Upon closer inspection of the logic board, I noticed that on the back on the logic board, where the LVDS cable plugs in, it is burned.

Below is a picture:

image.jpeg

So, now I am thinking that the LVDS cable and logic board are not the culprits, but a replacement logic board is in order.

I'm a little surprised that the computer still works with an external display, despite this burn mark on the logic board.

What do others think?

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
You must be a hobbyist.

Personally I would buy a new or refurb MBA and just trash what you have.

otacon

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2014
You must be a hobbyist.

Personally I would buy a new or refurb MBA and just trash what you have.

Yeah. I'm more interested in getting it up and running again with minimal cost (~ $100).

I know it is an old, "barely worth it" type of project...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.