Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2009
Seems simple enough but they've gone and changed it! In fact in sure it is simple but I can't seem to figure out how. Anyone know?

Used to be a simple step of users & groups>choose user>change name but aside from being able to edit the picture I can't see where the usernames can be changed.

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
Seems simple enough but they've gone and changed it! In fact in sure it is simple but I can't seem to figure out how. Anyone know?

Used to be a simple step of users & groups>choose user>change name but aside from being able to edit the picture I can't see where the usernames can be changed.

Just create a new user with the name you want and then log in as the new user and delete the old one!

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2009
Good point tmoerel. Still curious why they changed it and I'm assuming there's a logical reason. Previously Macs had a full name and an acct. name and while they could be the same person they could also be different names.

The beginning of those Apple instructions are no longer valid as I can see so I'm guessing Yosemite only uses account names instead of both. Switching the account name will probably do the trick.....I'm guessing. I'll try it later today.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2009
I figured it out and it couldn't be simpler. Don't know why I didn't think of it last night. Anyway I'll post that here for anyone that finds themself having a brain fart!

Goto sys pref>users&groups. Click the lock and enter your password if prompted. Right click on the user you wish to modify in the left "current user" pane. Click advanced. Everything is there for you to modify. Simple as ever!

mattjohnson78

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2014
Southern California
I figured it out and it couldn't be simpler. Don't know why I didn't think of it last night. Anyway I'll post that here for anyone that finds themself having a brain fart!

Goto sys pref>users&groups. Click the lock and enter your password if prompted. Right click on the user you wish to modify in the left "current user" pane. Click advanced. Everything is there for you to modify. Simple as ever!

Did you actually change any of the settings? I am wanting to change Account Name because I got the computer used and the person just went with default of user1 when they factory reset the computer. Will this also change the folder names and directories?

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2009
Yes. I changed it all back to my personal identifier. I can post a quick how-to tomorrow if it'd help. It's not difficult but if you change the names under your username as described in my previous post you'll want to change it to reflect the same in the home directory by using Terminal command line. Super easy but there are steps to take

mattjohnson78

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2014
Southern California
Yes. I changed it all back to my personal identifier. I can post a quick how-to tomorrow if it'd help. It's not difficult but if you change the names under your username as described in my previous post you'll want to change it to reflect the same in the home directory by using Terminal command line. Super easy but there are steps to take

That would be great. Thank you

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2009
That would be great. Thank you

Sorry for the delay man! This worked perfectly for me and seemed to be the safest way I could think of. Similar to Mavericks.

Log in as you normally would making sure you're using an admin account. Go to system preferences>users and groups and create a new USER. Be sure you make this new user an ADMINISTRATOR. Give the new user an easy name and password to remember (when you change the name for the home folder you must type the old and new user name exactly as it appears so make note if you have used any upper case letters). Deauthorize "automatic login" for the new user. If I recall it can be done when you create this new user. Once you're finished creating the new user go to SECURITY AND PRIVACY>General and make sure the box for deauthorize automatic login is checked there as well. You don't want anyone to auto login when you restart the Mac.

After you finished making the new user Log out of the current user and login as the new user you just created (must have admin ability). Go back to system preferences>users and groups. Click the little lock in the lower lefthand corner, type in your new username and passsword if prompted to allow you to make changes. Right click (2 finger tap or however your Macs set up) on the user who's name you want to change and click on the "advanced" tab that pops up.

This will open a window with that users info. take note of EXACTLY how the old user name is spelled (uppercase lowercase etc.). Replace the old username with the new username in the fields for ACCOUNT NAME, FULL NAME, and HOME DIRECTORY. In the home directory field only change the name. Leave the /"User/" alone. Once your happy with your new name click OK in the lower right corner, click the lock and close system preferences.

Now open finder and goto Applications>Utilities. Find the TERMINAL app and open it. In terminal type what I've written below:

sudo mv /Users/oldusername /Users/newusername

**oldusername=the current name. newusername=the new name you are switching to**

**make sure you typed upper case/lower case letters exactly as they appeared in the advanced tab ie. /Users/ ....not /users/.

After typing that command line hit return. You'll see some text with a WARNING pop up. Never fear, it's ok. Below that a line containing PASSWORD: will show up. Type the password of the user you're logged in as (the new temporary user you made earlier) and hit return. close terminal and restart your computer and login as the name you changed. You should see that the old username is gone and replaced with the name you've wanted. You can also now delete the temporary admin user you created if you want.

That does it. There is a chance that changing the home directory can mess with some apps that have stored info about your home directory but if that happens at all it can be easily fixed. I've had no trouble at all doing this.

Sorry if this how-to is long and convoluted. I tried to make it as clear as possible while still harping on the little important details. If you have any questions at all don't hesitate to ask! Take care! :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.