Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Konvictz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Yeah, all the leaks have featured these horrible looking bands.

Yes I will get iphone 6 because I rely a lot on iOS, but apple has always been about clean simplistic design, these antenna bands are horrible and go against their previous product designs.

Yes some will say this is not the final spec, but if you remember before iphone 4, 4s, 5, 5s the pre production leaks always turned out to be the correct leaks so it is very likely these will stay.

iPhone-6-vs-iphone-5.jpg

Just look at it.

The lines are not even consistent, the way they join the side lines, make it look like some sort of childrens toy template.

Its mainly the curvy lines that outline the top part which is the problem, makes the device look so bulky because it draws attention to the curves.

This is the ipod touch.

iPod-touch-5th-generation-review-05-533x400.jpg

Can anyone argue that this same design looks better with the bands? Absolutely no.

And the protruding camera ring does not bother me one bit, because firstly its on other products, and its not very noticeable, and its only sticking out a tiny tiny bit. Im not bothered, its just embarassing for apple because they have a thinness philosophy, but by letting the camera stick out, its shame on their design and manufacturing, but no problem for me.

I will get iphone 6, and it will no doubt break sales records, but the antenna bands are just horrible, deeply contrasting and a heavy heavy eye sore.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
What I would fear most is lack of reception so what ever Apple has to do for good RF is good with me. I will slip a shell on my new 6 and never look back! I do not see my phone as a fashion statement, it consider it a tool for my company!

I do hope that Apple stops with the "thin is better" cr^p!

wilky76

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
Wigan
Nobody can say what the final design will look like, the back might look completely different when Apple come to show it on Sept 9th.

Eitherway Antenna bands and poppy out camera lens is not a major concern to me, as if i was to get one then it be stuck in a case 99% of the time.

Konvictz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Yes I understand a phone is not a fashion statement HOWEVER

Design is a crucial factor, in fact a very high percentage of apple's business is led by design.

While it may not be important to you, design is very important to me. I have an eye that appreciates neat and clean designs, maybe because I am studying mathematics, I have seen beauty in things which are neat.

My car for example, in some ways is similar to every other car, it has for wheels and can get me from this point to that point. But a part of me choosing my car (if you really want to know its a BMW) was due to design combined with its performance.

Similar to iphone, of course its so I can message my friends, check facebook insta and snapchat etc, but I also want a phone that looks good, clean.

Design is also a feature, I mean there will be new features in the iphone 6, but im sure you can still run your company with an iphone 5, its not like you cant survive without an iphone 6.

Design is very important.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Every year before release "That iPhone design is horrible!"

Every year after release *iPhone breaks sales records* "This is the sleekest iPhone yet!"

Ger ready to be part of the "before release" statistic.

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
These bands are too small.

In this video is a real iPhone 6 rear shell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn35DkJdSdY

These antenna bands resemble the iPhone 5/5s glass plates but are still something new. It's a well thought design choice and sooner or later you will appreciate these. I think this gold rear shell shown in the video looks beautiful. :)

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Yes some will say this is not the final spec, but if you remember before iphone 4, 4s, 5, 5s the pre production leaks always turned out to be the correct leaks so it is very likely these will stay.
Really now...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 257

Konvictz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Every year before release "That iPhone design is horrible!"

Every year after release *iPhone breaks sales records* "This is the sleekest iPhone yet!"

Ger ready to be part of the "before release" statistic.

Not really, the iphone 4/4s back design is the best, shiny glass surface, amazing to look at.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Not really, the iphone 4/4s back design is the best, shiny glass surface, amazing to look at.

In your opinion. I, and many others, prefer the 5/5s design to the 4s. To each their own. Either way, this new phone will be just as big of a hit as every other iPhone.

Also, no point comparing it to the iPod touch as the touch doesn't have antennas. :rolleyes:

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
I'm pretty certain we go through this every. single. year. I'm sure you can dig up posts about how hideous every iPhone before this one was going to be.

You can't please everyone. While I'm not jazzed about the looks of the antenna bands, for me it goes in a case anyhoo.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Uh yes really. Tons of threads bashing the designs of every iPhone pre-release. They've all gone on to be huge hits and generally very loved designs.

Konvictz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Uh yes really. Tons of threads bashing the designs of every iPhone pre-release. They've all gone on to be huge hits and generally very loved designs.

But this is the first time theyve put these giant antenna bands.

Look this is who they are competing with, do you see these massive funny shaped antenna bands? If they are there then they are just a straight line, not some dominating design eye sore.

samsung_galaxy_note_3_ac_24-540x386.jpg

HTC-One-M8-2014-VS-2013-Back-1280x853.jpg

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
I do hope that Apple stops with the "thin is better" cr^p!

Agreed, although this fetish isn't limited to Apple. From an RF engineering perspective, it's creating a lot of unnecessary complexity -- and thus cost, which is passed on to customers.

For example, LTE uses MIMO, which requires at least two antennas where 3G requires only one. As the industry gets into higher order MIMO, it will be four or more where there once was one. Active antennas are a way to squeeze them into a small space, but those smarts come at a premium versus passive antennas. The antennas also must have a decent amount of space between them in order to maximize the receive and transmit diversity that MIMO enables.

We'd all benefit if handset vendors' RF and industrial design teams would work together. For example, something as simple as a subtle dimple on a certain part of the phone -- à la the back of most TV remotes -- would encourage people to hold them in a way that minimizes their hand's detuning effect, which can cause calls to drop and data sessions to slow down.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
If Apple change to just plain plastic instead or the aluminum, they can do away with the bands. If it has good RF, I do not care what the back of the phone looks like. As I said it will go into a Sedio Surface shell the day I get it and the bands will never be seen.

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
Yep. I'm part of the camp that will be sticking the phone in a case on day one and never looking at it except when I take it out for cleaning. The 5/5s are too thin as it is and mine have been in Apple's leather case for the duration of my ownership. If the thickness ever makes it back to 4/4s levels I'll go back to going caseless.

So the point of this is I don't give a damn what the back looks like. To be honest I like how it looks in the leaks. The bands don't bother me a bit but it's irrelevant since the back will be covered.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I really hope those bands are for a NEW functionality (NFC, wireless charging, etc) and not just for cellular antenna. Be very disappointed otherwise.

:apple:

kdarling

macrumors P6
Not sure why anyone cares what the back looks like, since...

... no matter what, it'll apparently still have all those distracting electronics certifications.

I'm with those who would much rather have a nice grippy back, to go with a waterproof case and sapphire front.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I really hope those bands are for a NEW functionality (NFC, wireless charging, etc) and not just for cellular antenna. Be very disappointed otherwise.

:apple:

I am afraid you will be dissapointed.

Wireless charging requires a good bit of copper wire wound into a coil. Seeing the 6 is going to be thinner, wireless charging is not going to happen.

Apple has waited too long on the NFC, they likely knew what many are beginning to realize, NFC is not going to be what they wanted it to be and it will die off soon!

Last edited:

Bako-MacAddict

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2012
California
Yes I understand a phone is not a fashion statement HOWEVER

Design is a crucial factor, in fact a very high percentage of apple's business is led by design.

While it may not be important to you, design is very important to me. I have an eye that appreciates neat and clean designs, maybe because I am studying mathematics, I have seen beauty in things which are neat.

My car for example, in some ways is similar to every other car, it has for wheels and can get me from this point to that point. But a part of me choosing my car (if you really want to know its a BMW) was due to design combined with its performance.

Similar to iphone, of course its so I can message my friends, check facebook insta and snapchat etc, but I also want a phone that looks good, clean.

Design is also a feature, I mean there will be new features in the iphone 6, but im sure you can still run your company with an iphone 5, its not like you cant survive without an iphone 6.

Design is very important.

I completely agree with you ! You couldn't have said any better. That being said , I just cannot wait until September 9. These leaks are disappointing me so far.

Hexiii

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Republic
I wouldn't worry that much, the phone just looks ugly because of the amateur photos and unfinished design.

If I took a photo of my MacBook with my iPhone from weird angle, it wouldn't look as good as on Apple website or if you see it with your own eyes. (And that's finished product released by Apple, you don't know what the finished iPhone will look like yet.)

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
You may not like the antenna bands, but I'd bet $50 it won't stop anyone from buying the phone =P

I agree they aren't my favorite feature, but who gives a flying crap? If you don't like it, don't buy it. Heavily "invested" (lol) in iOS? GFY (good for you...), the 5S still runs everything flawlessly.

But regardless, you'll still be in line to buy a 6 launch day.

Speaking of which, has everyone heard that they will NOT be taking pre-orders (AGAIN)? THAT tweaks me far more than any silly design choice...

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I am afraid you will be dissapointed.

Wireless charging requires a good bit of copper wire wound into a coil. Seeing the 6 is going to be thinner, wireless charging is not going to happen.

Apple has waited too long on the NFC, they likely knew what many are beginning to realize, NFC is not going to be what they wanted it to be and it will die off soon!

Yep, I sadly agree with you. I'll most likely be disappointed (as I was with the iPhone 5) in the lack of new hardware features. Health functions just don't do anything for me personally.. I'll never use them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.