Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cursor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Hi All,

I'm in the market for an NAS. I like the Synology DS1513+ DiskStation 5-Bay NAS Server.

My current setup is that I have Home Sharing working on my MacBook Pro that shares iTunes movies and music to an iPad and AppleTV.

My problem is that I take my laptop to work sometimes and my kids can't watch the iTunes things on the AppleTV without the laptop.

If I put all of my iTunes items onto the NAS, can the iPad and AppleTV access them without the laptop?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
ATV requires an iTunes client in the mix somewhere.

Synology's Video Station will stream video to an ATV via AirPlay, but still needs an iTunes client (typically an iOS device using the DS Video app) to initiate the connection. So, you can use the iPad to start the streaming, and once started, the iPad no longer needs to be used.

As for viewing on the iPad, DS Video will work just fine for that.

Cursor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Doesn't make sense why an iTunes client is still needed, but I follow what you're saying. Thanks for the advice!

soulbot

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
I too am looking at a DS1513+ so this applies to me as well. However, I'm running a ROKU box, not an AppleTV, so my path is more direct: Plex app on Roku, Plex server on NAS.

However, if you're willing to run a little "hack" then you could potentially run Plex on the AppleTV. Plexconnect.

Run Plex on Apple TV 3 - Complete Beginners Guide (New fix)

I don't have any firsthand knowledge of this "solution" so your mileage may vary. But it would definitely be nice to cut out the middle-men: computers, iPads, iPods, iPhones… One would hope to only need a client (AppleTV) and the server (NAS).

Good luck.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
If you don't want to jailbreak :apple:TV, you need a computer that can run iTunes. It can be an old, used (and thus cheap) computer. It simply needs to be good enough to run iTunes, which runs on Macs and Windows machines.

Synology is great for storage. Load that iTunes with the media. Take your laptop out anytime you want.

Cursor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
What doesn't make sense about it?

Just the fact that the AppleTV can't read the iTunes Server and content running off of the NAS directly without a client (a Mac or iPad/iPod/iPhone).

It seems that it should be able to work, otherwise what is the point of having iTunes Server? This isn't an area of expertise for me, I'm just trying to apply common sense.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Just the fact that the AppleTV can't read the iTunes Server and content running off of the NAS directly without a client (a Mac or iPad/iPod/iPhone).

It seems that it should be able to work, otherwise what is the point of having iTunes Server? This isn't an area of expertise for me, I'm just trying to apply common sense.

The official iTunes server is iTunes so that makes perfect sense. If you try to use any of the third party solutions that are nothing more than a hack of an iTunes server then you get what you get. I would not expect Apple to change how this works any time some.

NukeIT

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
I use this setup at home. Works reasonable well but there are some short falls, such as the streaming directly to Apple TV.

People get confused with what the term iTunes Server means. It is only serving up the data to your iTunes Client. So yes you must have a client of some sorts. Which Apple TV isn't, it uses "Home Sharing".

The Synology apps are a work around but I have found issues with the video quality. I prefer importing into iTunes and playing things that way.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
This comes up often and nearly every time the final result is the same...

The simplest and most stable method is to have a dedicated computer running iTunes with attached drive(s) holding media. The dedicated computer (OSX or Windows) can be low level and inexpensive, it does not need to be overly powerful. I use my iMac with attached FireWire Drobo, only because it is always on anyhow and is not portable or moved.

Any method that uses NAS units adds complexity and other potential usability potholes, such as iTunes finding the NAS/media upon reboot and possible future hardware/software changes by the manufacturer and/or Apple.

Nothing against NAS units, but iTunes doesn't leverage them as well as it does direct attached drives.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Get the DS214 Play instead.

It will transcode and airplay to your Apple TV. Only thing you will need is an app on your iOS device to search the files on the DS214 Play. Just to reiterate, airplay is done straight from the synology to the ATV, and not from tour iOS device.

Cursor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Get the DS214 Play instead.

It will transcode and airplay to your Apple TV. Only thing you will need is an app on your iOS device to search the files on the DS214 Play. Just to reiterate, airplay is done straight from the synology to the ATV, and not from tour iOS device.

How does the iOS devise fit in? So you don't need the iPad to act as an Airplay relay to the NAS, although you do need it to search for files. What do you do after you've found your video that you want to play on the Apple TV?

NukeIT

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
How does the iOS devise fit in? So you don't need the iPad to act as an Airplay relay to the NAS, although you do need it to search for files. What do you do after you've found your video that you want to play on the Apple TV?

The iOS device acts as the initial handshake, and then turns it over to your Apple TV.

Btw it is the same for the DS214 play or the DS1513+

Cursor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
The iOS device acts as the initial handshake, and then turns it over to your Apple TV.

Btw it is the same for the DS214 play or the DS1513+

That's where I was getting confused. Thanks for clearing that up.

So Airplay isn't straight from the NAS as the other poster mentioned. As previously stated, it's from the NAS to the iPad through DS Video, then air played to the Apple TV. Correct?

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
That's where I was getting confused. Thanks for clearing that up.

So Airplay isn't straight from the NAS as the other poster mentioned. As previously stated, it's from the NAS to the iPad through DS Video, then air played to the Apple TV. Correct?

Yes and no. The iPad (in this case) has to start the connection between the NAS and the ATV; once the connection is initiated, the iPad is no longer needed and the NAS streams directly to the ATV. My guess is it's some combination of the AirPlay protocol and iTunes authentication that needs that device in the middle to start the transfer process, but once the handshake/authorization is complete, streaming can be done directly.

Honestly, Apple could make this much easier by putting an iTunes client inside of the ATV and updating the firmware to allow that client to point to a network or USB drive. But, they haven't (not since the original ATV1) and there's no indication that they will do so anytime soon.

NukeIT

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
the ds214play has a hardware transcoder

The DS1513+ does as well... Doesn't it?? It's been so long since I looked at the specs I forget now. Either way it can Transcode on the fly

Last edited:

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
I haven't read every post on here and may come back later and try to be a little more helpful(!) I've had a DS1513+ for a year now and have been very pleased with it. Spotlight won't work with a NAS, so be aware of that, although I've found a way around it (that's off topic so I won't say any more).

As for Apple TV. There's a Synology package that enables you to set up your NAS as a DLNA server. I've got video on there and can stream to my TV's set top box (which likes DLNA) and I use a DLNA app on my iPad for streaming to the AppleTV. Gives me a standard media server and the ability to watch things from the NAS on my main TV in the lounge and the AppleTV hooked up to the telly in the kitchen.

It does it for me, but everyone's different so it all depends what's going to work best for you.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
ds214play owner here.

I think the issue is with authentication of DRM-protected video content. It's a shame that an ATV, which has your Apple ID and password stored, can't be used to browse an NAS, authenticate content with the same Apple ID, and play it back to you, without the need for an iOS app to authenticate the content and make the 'handshake'.

SpinalTap

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2003
Bournville, UK
For the same kind of money as the Synology DS1513+ you could buy a Mac Mini from the Refurb Store.

In my set up, my Mac Mini is remotely located upstairs while my AppleTV is located downstairs. Both are connected via Devolo homeplugs. All of my DVD movies are stored on the Mac Mini. Engaging Airplay on the Mac Mini mirrors it's display contents on my downstairs television. 5.1 surround sound is conveyed as one would expect.

The iOS app 'Hippo Remote' is utilised on my iPhone to control my Mac Mini/AppleTV playback of content on my television. You could also use Apple's Remote app. These work on the iPad too.

This set up enables playback of television catch-up services too. Moreover, a VPN app, such as NetShade, enables playback of foreign based television channels.

The Mac Mini doubles as a fine audio server as well. Just connect it to your audio system via a USB DAC and stow away your music collection.

soulbot

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
Ds1515+ ?

I just read an article that said sometime around September 15. I will wait, since it's so soon. Thanks!

Just curious if you could share the link about the DS1515+ and 9/15 release?

I did some Googling and didn't seem to come across anything talking about a release that soon.

Thanks!

Cursor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Just curious if you could share the link about the DS1515+ and 9/15 release?

I did some Googling and didn't seem to come across anything talking about a release that soon.

Thanks!

http://hexus.net/tech/items/network/71629-synology-invites-synology-2015-dsm-product-launch/

----------

For the same kind of money as the Synology DS1513+ you could buy a Mac Mini from the Refurb Store.

In my set up, my Mac Mini is remotely located upstairs while my AppleTV is located downstairs. Both are connected via Devolo homeplugs. All of my DVD movies are stored on the Mac Mini. Engaging Airplay on the Mac Mini mirrors it's display contents on my downstairs television. 5.1 surround sound is conveyed as one would expect.

The iOS app 'Hippo Remote' is utilised on my iPhone to control my Mac Mini/AppleTV playback of content on my television. You could also use Apple's Remote app. These work on the iPad too.

This set up enables playback of television catch-up services too. Moreover, a VPN app, such as NetShade, enables playback of foreign based television channels.

The Mac Mini doubles as a fine audio server as well. Just connect it to your audio system via a USB DAC and stow away your music collection.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a Mac Mini that I'm using as an HTPC/back-up work computer on an upstairs TV. I'm looking to replace my WD MyBook Studio II with the NAS before it totally dies. It seems it loses one of the drives every year, and I'm getting tired of it. I also need something large enough to hold all of my photo archives, movies, music and work archives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.