Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lookatchu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
On August 17, I ordered a custom iMac from MacMall - the 2.9GHZ model with additional RAM (16GB) and the 256GB SSD.

Today I was notified that it shipped, so I checked and saw it shipped from Memphis, TN. I wondered why it didn't ship from Cali, so I called McMall. At first, their rep told me that they (McMall) have a plant there and that their tech installed the RAM. I told him that this would clearly void my warranty; that Apple makes that clear. He said, "Let me check" and quickly changed his tune and told me that it was in fact customized by Apple and then shipped to their plant.

I'm concerned that he gave me two different answers. Here's my question: When I get the iMac, is there anyway to ensure that it came directly from Apple and that only Apple installed the RAM and SSD? What signs can I look for on the box itself and within the iMac itself? Thanks in advance.

p3ntyne

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney, Australia
I'm fairly certain that an authorised reseller can install Apple RAM without voiding warranty. Actually, Anyone can install Apple RAM without voiding warranty.

Since you iMac is a 21.5 inch model, I'm pretty sure that RAM would be added while it was manufactured.

Last edited:

lookatchu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
I might be wrong, but I thought installing RAM on the 21.5" iMac would have to be done by an Apple Authorized Service Provider. I don't believe MacMall is one; they're an authorized Apple Reseller instead. Anyone can install RAM on the 27" as you say.

According to Apple, if the RAM installed on the 21.5" iMac isn't done by an Apple Retail Store, or Apple Authorized Service Provider, the warranty will be voided:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5540

That being said, is there any way I can tell if this was done by MacMall? I did some research afterwards, and it seems like they've done a couple of questionable things to a few customers, so I'm concerned now.

Last edited:

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
why don't you ask apple? go straight to the source. They'll tell you straight.

lookatchu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
why don't you ask apple? go straight to the source. They'll tell you straight.

That sounds like a good idea. Would they know by serial number how much RAM was originally shipped out, if they installed more RAM at the factory,
or if it had an SSD or would I have to bring the iMac to them so they can inspect if opened?

Last edited:

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
That sounds like a good idea. Would they know by serial number how much RAM was originally shipped out, or if it had an SSD or would I have to bring the iMac to them so they can inspect if opened?

just email apple and tell them your concerns.

lookatchu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
just email apple and tell them your concerns.

That sounds like a good idea. Maybe I'll wait till I get it and call them in case they want some info off of the iMac. I hope it's that simple. Thanks.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
That sounds like a good idea. Maybe I'll wait till I get it and call them in case they want some info off of the iMac. I hope it's that simple. Thanks.

It will tell you on the box. Also the box shuld be sealed.

lookatchu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
It will tell you on the box. Also the box shuld be sealed.

Thanks for your response. Where on the box will it tell me, and what should I look for? I thought about the seal as well, but there might be some shady companies out there that may re-seal it a way that you'd never know it was opened.

I know I'm sounding paranoid, but when he first said their tech had to put in the RAM, I became concerned. He later retracted it, but only after I said it would void the warranty.

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
Thanks for your response. Where on the box will it tell me, and what should I look for? I thought about the seal as well, but there might be some shady companies out there that may re-seal it a way that you'd never know it was opened.

I know I'm sounding paranoid, but when he first said their tech had to put in the RAM, I became concerned. He later retracted it, but only after I said it would void the warranty.

It'll have the specs on the box, you'll see it. A 21"....that came direct from Apple, shipped to mac malls central shipping location and then to you. It's complicated to add ram to the 21". No way would a company waste time and labor on that.

lookatchu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
It'll have the specs on the box, you'll see it. A 21"....that came direct from Apple, shipped to mac malls central shipping location and then to you. It's complicated to add ram to the 21". No way would a company waste time and labor on that.

Thanks, Nismo. That's reassuring. I'll check the box anyway,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.