Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zolito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
I need an advice for the following questions:

1. I already have an iTunes ID which I use for the iPad AppStore, backup....etc. I prefer to make another apple ID to be used with macbook, not the same as the iPad, I think if I used one id for both, things will be messed up. Is this ok?
2. Regarding the battery, for all windows laptops I used before, I usually use them with the power plugged in, and only use the battery when there is no power source, is this ok for mac or will harm the battery? Or should I keep charging and discharging the battery putting into consideration that it is not removable.
3. I want to fully test the macbook to make sure that the hardware is working properly, I believe it shall be obvious with the first few days of use, or shall I test it using a certain app.?

Many thanks in advance for your kind help.

dan1eln1el5en

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark

1. I already have an iTunes ID which I use for the iPad AppStore, backup....etc. I prefer to make another apple ID to be used with macbook, not the same as the iPad, I think if I used one id for both, things will be messed up. Is this ok?
It's ok, not recommendable, but OK.
2. Regarding the battery, for all windows laptops I used before, I usually use them with the power plugged in, and only use the battery when there is no power source, is this ok for mac or will harm the battery? Or should I keep charging and discharging the battery putting into consideration that it is not removable.
Plugged in or no, still the same, I got the same macbook, and the battery will be 104% the first 6 months, then drop a bit, use it ! don't keep it plugged in all the time, do go below 10% but it's all just history really ...enjoy your new computer, plugged in or not.

3. I want to fully test the macbook to make sure that the hardware is working properly, I believe it shall be obvious with the first few days of use, or shall I test it using a certain app.?

Normally, in the old days there would be a hardware diagnostic test on the DVD, but now it's not there anymore, you can use the "About this Mac" menu to see USB outputs and Graphics RAM usage, a mac usually complaints when something is wrong, which it usually isn't...again, enjoy your new computer :)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

1. You can use separate AppleIDs. I use one for iTunes and iOS app purchases etc and another for iCloud on my Mac.

2. Read over this and this direct from Apple for battery info. This is the official word from Apple and don't listen to anybody else's tips and anecdotes. Follow the official Apple information. Using it on battery only when you need to is exactly what Apple suggests. The do not suggest cycling or periodically running down the battery at all. Just use it how you need to.

3. Just run software update to make sure you have the latest updates, then if you like there is a built in hardware test you can run. Just follow this guide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.