Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dhodeltoro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2014
I am looking to buy a 13" MBP.

If you were buying a MBP today, what upgrades would you go for? Is 16gb of ram excessive? I store most of my music and photos in the cloud, but 128gb hd strikes me as small..how have others found it? I could max my entire budget and get both upgrades, or find plenty of other ways to use the money if the upgrades are excessive.

I understand that upgrades are a bad idea if you plan to resell (and I may need to do this in a year or so), but I want to pick the optimal machine for now.

Thanks so much for your help!

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
What is your budget?
What do you use your macbook for?
What apps do you run?
How mucn portability/battery life do you need?
Do you need a retina screen?
What connection ports do you need?
How much storage do you need?
Do you need to carry all that storage around with you?
Do you still utilize CDs a lot?

For ram recommendations look here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1756865/

nexus4life

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2014

If you were buying a MBP today, what upgrades would you go for? Is 16gb of ram excessive? I store most of my music and photos in the cloud, but 128gb hd strikes me as small..how have others found it? I could max my entire budget and get both upgrades, or find plenty of other ways to use the money if the upgrades are excessive.

I understand that upgrades are a bad idea if you plan to resell (and I may need to do this in a year or so), but I want to pick the optimal machine for now.

To the second part of your post, I'm not entirely sure what you mean. But just to make sure you are aware, there are absolutely zero upgrades you can perform to these machines (assuming rMBP.)

Everyone's configuration will be different; it depends on what you will be using it for. Unless you will be doing anything truly hardcore (editing multiple full blown projects at same time as gaming etc.), 16GB is probably excessive.

Regarding SSD Space - you said it yourself, most of your stuff is online. So that shouldn't be a problem either. I myself have my music in Google Music and I also have an All Access subscription (and I access all of this through a fantastic application called radiant player) so any music is there. Photos - Google. Documents - Google.

----------

What is your budget?
What do you use your macbook for?
What apps do you run?
How mucn portability/battery life do you need?
Do you need a retina screen?
What connection ports do you need?
How much storage do you need?
Do you need to carry all that storage around with you?
Do you still utilize CDs a lot?

For ram recommendations look here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1756865/

Nice template!

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

I'd go for the sweet spot config - 2.6/8/256.

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010

Not true in my experience owning and reselling.
Best value retention configs are at low end and high end.
Buy the most you can afford and enjoy.

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
If you were buying a MBP today, what upgrades would you go for?
The only—I repeat, the *only*—upgrade that I would pay for is a larger SSD. For RAM, 8 GB is plenty. For the CPU, performance differences are negligible.

So by the exact same token, I would in fact choose to save hundreds of dollars and get a late-2013 refurb with base processor, 8 GB RAM, and a 256 GB SSD.

cebseb

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
I'd go for the sweet spot config - 2.6/8/256.

My thoughts exactly! I call it the Goldilocks config.

----------

Alternatively, you can just max out the CPU, then leave the rest bare bones. Upgrading via third party products is a possibility. The plus side is you can take the upgrades along with you when you sell it or just part it out.

Dhodeltoro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2014
You are all so generous w your time, I really appreciate your help. When I said upgrade I think I misspoke, I meant base configuration upgrade at the time of purchase (eg to 256gb ssd).

I do basic photo and video editing and heavy excel. I'm sure I won't need more than 8gb now but wondering if it's useful to have 16gb in the future. I think im also trying to justify my decision to not get a MBA by maxing it out beyond my needs :)

anarti

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Scotland
You are all so generous w your time, I really appreciate your help. When I said upgrade I think I misspoke, I meant base configuration upgrade at the time of purchase (eg to 256gb ssd).

I do basic photo and video editing and heavy excel. I'm sure I won't need more than 8gb now but wondering if it's useful to have 16gb in the future. I think im also trying to justify my decision to not get a MBA by maxing it out beyond my needs :)

I just ordered one with 16GB of RAM (for the future) and with the 128GB SSD (it is possibly to replace with SSD drives from OWC but later on this year.

So ssd can be upgraded, maxed out memory would help to sell it and CPU does not really matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.