Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
I do. It has served me well in cataloging, organizing and working with my images but now that it is defunct since June I must look for a replacement that won't break the bank. In the interim, I am resting upgrading my OS (10.7.5) because I am not at all sure it wouldn't break the final update of Portfolio Standalone (8.5.8). Which leads me to the question: Does anyone have experience running Portfolio 8.5.8 with latest Mac OS? Or any Mac OS post 10.7.5? Any insights appreciated. The Portfolio forum has been shut down by Extensis so I bring my search for fellow users here.

Reactions: Badger0003

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I would suggest Lightroom as a replacement digital asset manager for photos. It was purpose built by Adobe as a photo DAM. There is little risk that Adobe or LR will not be there tomorrow. With LR you can also use many programs/apps as plugins to LR. No other major DAM, except the now abandoned Aperture, can say that. There are many plugins to select from: Adobe Photoshop, Pixelmator, Topaz labs apps, Nik Collection, Perfect Photo Suite, Helicon Focus, and even DXO Pro.

Personally I use the standalone version of LR, not the cloud subscription that includes Photoshop. If you do want Photoshop, the cloud subscription is an option. While there are other photo DAM products out there, I can not think of another that such a large company behind it and support from so many plugin makers as Adobe Lightroom.

Good luck in your search and selection.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
I would suggest Lightroom as a replacement digital asset manager for photos. It was purpose built by Adobe as a photo DAM. There is little risk that Adobe or LR will not be there tomorrow. With LR you can also use many programs/apps as plugins to LR. No other major DAM, except the now abandoned Aperture, can say that. There are many plugins to select from: Adobe Photoshop, Pixelmator, Topaz labs apps, Nik Collection, Perfect Photo Suite, Helicon Focus, and even DXO Pro.

Personally I use the standalone version of LR, not the cloud subscription that includes Photoshop. If you do want Photoshop, the cloud subscription is an option. While there are other photo DAM products out there, I can not think of another that such a large company behind it and support from so many plugin makers as Adobe Lightroom.

Good luck in your search and selection.

Thanks! It so happens I use the local version of Photoshop CS6 and got Lightroom when I purchased it. Never had time to play with it and the learning curve didn't seem trivial. Didn't know if it would serve my DAM needs and since I was settled in with Portfolio I kind of forgot it, but it does seem attractive now that Portfolio Studio edition is client server and several times the cost of the standalone version. Can user defined fields be added to LR and is it AppleScriptable? Any database plugins?

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
You might want to take a look at this discussion.
http://www.bkwinephotography.com/technology/good-dam-digital-asset-management-software/

All photographers participating, most with experience in data base apps. I have yet to make the move as Aperture still has life left in it. When I do I will likely go with Photo Supreme.

Other than Aperture, no editing app comes close to a real data base approach. LR would be one of the last places I'd go. Very file type constrained and zero flexibility/customization.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
You might want to take a look at this discussion.
http://www.bkwinephotography.com/technology/good-dam-digital-asset-management-software/

All photographers participating, most with experience in data base apps. I have yet to make the move as Aperture still has life left in it. When I do I will likely go with Photo Supreme.

Other than Aperture, no editing app comes close to a real data base approach. LR would be one of the last places I'd go. Very file type constrained and zero flexibility/customization.

Thanks for the link. I'm looking at it now and the author seems to be on the same page as I am in what he's looking for. I just learned that LR offers no AppleScript, which makes it much less attractive.

spinks

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2009
Replacement for Extensis Portfolio

I just started using NeoFinder and so far I'm very impressed. I need to catalog many file types and have extensive archives on DVD and CD. I will have to regenerate new archive files (haven't found anything that will directly open or translate my Portfolio archives), but so far Neo is much faster at cataloging than Portfolio. Search functions are very robust.

I researched other DAM solutions but all have been way too expensive for a single user or are web-based with subscriptions. I just need to catalog all of my files and be able to search for what I want. Can't beat it for $39.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.