Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
Caffeine and NoSleep don't prevent the wifi from disconnecting after I close the lid on my 2014 MBA...anyone have such an app that works properly on the latest MBA's?

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
May I ask why you want to do this?
If you want to use the device in clamshell mode (where the lid is closed but the laptop is fully functioning), you will have to follow the instructions here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3131?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

On the other hand, if you aren't doing that, then i don't see the point. I'm guessing you want to use clamshell mode.

When I am at my desk at work, I connect via Citrix. I then have a meeting to go to, so I close the lid on the laptop and go to the conference room. I get to the conference room and open the lid only to find that the wifi has disconnected and so has my Citrix connection. I want to stay connected even though I close the lid for short periods of time.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Okay...

So you want your laptop to stay awake while it's supposed to be asleep, so you can transport it and connect again easier?

Short of disabling sleep mode altogether, this won't work. And I would very much advise you not to carry around a non-sleeping laptop. Lots of stuff can go wrong if it's dropped.

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
Short of disabling sleep mode altogether, this won't work.
Why not? Apps like Caffeine and NoSleep work on other MacBooks, why wouldn't a similar app work on the 2014 MBA?

And I would very much advise you not to carry around a non-sleeping laptop. Lots of stuff can go wrong if it's dropped.
Given the MBA has an SSD, I'm sure nothing more serious can happen to it if it is dropped while it is awake than if it is asleep.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Okay...

Why not? Apps like Caffeine and NoSleep work on other MacBooks, why wouldn't a similar app work on the 2014 MBA?

Given the MBA has an SSD, I'm sure nothing more serious can happen to it if it is dropped while it is awake than if it is asleep.

Caffeine and NoSleep disable sleep mode, don't they?

And if you're not worried about dropping it, why not just carry it open?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.