Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fcarreraf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2014
toronto
1.jpg

emac. 2002.

2.jpg

3.jpg

When it was still working

4.jpg

ok

5.jpg

6.jpg

the speaker assembly

7.jpg

abstract art

8.jpg

9.jpg

damn babe u dusty

11.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

big perforated sharp housing for something

13.jpg

big capacitors for a 17" cathode ray tube at 1152

14.jpg

a bit afraid to detach the optic nerves. crt commands respect

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

JohnnyH1012

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2014
New Jersey, USA
This reassembly reminded me of what an engineering feat the emac was, or at least in terms of its radical and compact design. The only place these machines truly fail in (besides performance) are there reparability, taking into consideration how many custom parts there are.

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
It's interesting how Apple presumably had two different speaker system designs for the eMac. I suppose the one pictured is an early model since the speakers are in their own internal enclosures. I acquired a 1,25 GHz eMac yesterday and AFAIK it has no separate enclosures around the speaker drivers. It sounds OK, but I've read the earlier models sound much better.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
It's interesting how Apple presumably had two different speaker system designs for the eMac. I suppose the one pictured is an early model since the speakers are in their own internal enclosures. I acquired a 1,25 GHz eMac yesterday and AFAIK it has no separate enclosures around the speaker drivers. It sounds OK, but I've read the earlier models sound much better.

Yeah, I feel like I have seen some eMacs with different speaker covers. I have seen ones with larger holes and newer ones with smaller ones. I bet they did that to put a stop to students poking pencils through them xD.

fcarreraf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2014
toronto
21.jpg

clock battery notice

22.jpg

error from another era. or something. And nothing had changed as far as I know. Does anyone know what that is?

23.jpg

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
Yeah, I feel like I have seen some eMacs with different speaker covers. I have seen ones with larger holes and newer ones with smaller ones. I bet they did that to put a stop to students poking pencils through them xD.

I'm betting on that as well. The covers with large holes are removable and they shipped with the eralier (better) speaker system. The ones with smaller holes are non-removable and they accompanied the newer (inferior) speaker system.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
I'm betting on that as well. The covers with large holes are removable and they shipped with the eralier (better) speaker system. The ones with smaller holes are non-removable and they accompanied the newer (inferior) speaker system.

That's weird that the speaker system apparently got worse. Nevertheless, the newer eMacs still have nice speakers.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1

IIRC, the early models had Harmon/Kardon Speakers like the iMac G4 and Apple Pro Speakers. I believe the 2003-04 model switches to another brand or off brand. I don't know why but I remember someone saying something about that. That's why the early models (along with the iMac G4s and iMac G3s) make great jukeboxes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.