Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2014
I don't have a recent iphone yet, but want to know if siri and voice dialling can be disabled without having to set a password if you do following steps in the latest IOS 7:

1. Turn Siri on --> settings --> general --> Siri
2. (just for the case you deactivated Siri here, not sure if you need to do that) settings --> general --> restrictions --> Siri on
3. settings --> passcode --> Turn Passcode on --> Allow Access when Locked --> Siri OFF
4. turn passcode OFF again

Especially if at the end you turn passcode OFF again (step 4), will it still have both siri and voice dialling disabled or not from lock screen?

Is step 2 required?

Could somebody please try out the above steps and let me know if it works or not.

Thanks alot! :)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Looks like it only applies when the phone is locked and the passcode requirement has kicked in.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So the question is if the phone password is disabled but the phone is asleep is Siri disabled? (Disabling Siri disables voice dialing is true)
It doesn't seem like it, as I mentioned earlier when I tried it out.

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
Disable Voice Dialling from lock screen possible this way??

So the question is if the phone password is disabled but the phone is asleep is Siri disabled? (Disabling Siri disables voice dialing is true)

When Siri is disabled, iOS uses the legacy Voice Control instead, which is the default in iOS. Voice Control includes a number of features including voice dialing and is also made available with the lock screen. I don't believe there has ever been a way to disable Voice Control with iOS, at least, I am not able to do so with iOS 7.1.2 on a iPhone 5S.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
When Siri is disabled, iOS uses the legacy Voice Control instead, which is the default in iOS. Voice Control includes a number of features including voice dialing and is also made available with the lock screen. I don't believe there has ever been a way to disable Voice Control with iOS, at least, I am not able to do so with iOS 7.1.2 on a iPhone 5S.

If I understand you correctly you are saying legacy voice control is always available on the lock screen.

That does not seem to be the case for me. Legacy voice control is disabled on the lock screen, unless I don't know how to activate it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
When Siri is disabled in what way? Through restrictions or through the passcode area (where you need to have the passcode enabled in order to control Siri's access through there)?

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
Disable Voice Dialling from lock screen possible this way?

When Siri is disabled in what way? Through restrictions or through the passcode area (where you need to have the passcode enabled in order to control Siri's access through there)?

Go to Settings/General/Siri then turn Siri off (slide the virtual switch from green to off). iOS will ask you to confirm that you want to disable Siri. Once Siri is disabled, iOS will revert to legacy Voice Control.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
How do you activate legacy voice controls? I can't figure it out.
Same way you would use Siri basically, but instead of Siri it will be the legacy Voice Control that comes up.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It doesn't work so basically it is disabled for me.
It doesn't work in what circumstances (locked/unlocked)? What settings did you change? Do you have passcode enabled? What exactly are you doing and what are you seeing or not seeing?

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
Disable Voice Dialling from lock screen possible this way?

How do you activate legacy voice controls? I can't figure it out.

Long press the home button just like Siri.

Here's what Siri looks like:

4452c727e1a8de3d33476db922b542f2.jpg

Here's what Voice Control looks like:

7f987c779d4f49782cf9dc8dd9ff9ea2.jpg

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It doesn't work in what circumstances (locked/unlocked)? What settings did you change? Do you have passcode enabled? What exactly are you doing and what are you seeing or not seeing?

Yes, I have a passcode set. Are you talking about not having a passcode set?

Are you saying if the phone has no passcode and SIRI is disabled on the locked screen legacy voice control is enabled. Sorry if I'm not following this. I know if you have a passcode and SIRI is disabled on the lock screen there is no legacy voice controls. Is that consistent with your experience? I actually have touchid enabled as well.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes, I have a passcode set. Are you talking about not having a passcode set?

Are you saying if the phone has no passcode and SIRI is disabled on the locked screen legacy voice control is enabled. Sorry if I'm not following this. I know if you have a passcode and SIRI is disabled on the lock screen there is no legacy voice controls. Is that consistent with your experience? I actually have touchid enabled as well.
Right, this is without having a passcode set (or TouchID I guess), based on what the OP was asking about. When you have passcode disabled it seems the option to disable Siri (or anything else) from the lock screen is not even available basically.

With passcode enabled (and Siri disabled from the lock screen), yes, the experience is as you describe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.