Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vectordream

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2014
Hey All,

I have an 08’ 24 inch iMac. It was my first Mac for home and Best computer I ever bought but it is running slow for what I need it for. It has primarily been a machine for running Adobe Creative Suite so I can get my work done. Some light gaming. No video editing but I commonly need Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Indesign and other programs outside of the Adobe stuff running at the same time, switching between them while I work.

To make a long story short, I decided to upgrade to a new 27 inch iMac a few days back. The top model but not maxed out. When I called in to order the rep was able to knock $100 off and also reduced the Apple Care by $50 for the 3 years of coverage.

After having the system for a couple days, browsing the net I realized that an iMac refresh could be coming. I am well within my 14 day return. I apologize about another thread pertaining to the possible iMac refresh but I had that sinking feeling that I bought too early. I usually would of done more research on a purchase like this and normally would of caught myself beforehand but my '08 iMac was just awesome.

So my question is do you think it is worth the hassle of boxing this back up and returning it to play the apple waiting game? My old iMac is just not cutting it that well now but I could probably get by for a bit. I did get this new one slightly cheaper than expected and the refresh when it comes could be even more expensive.

One minute I am leaning on returning it but then I think I may be overthinking this and I should just keep it and forget about all that since this machine is more than adequate for my needs. I do want to get as many years out of my purchase as possible. I would hate to miss out on a possible Retina display. Just curious about other people’s opinions. Ultimately, I will just have to make a decision but it is interesting to hear other perspectives.

Thanks for any comments!

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
Hey All,

I have an 08’ 24 inch iMac. It was my first Mac for home and Best computer I ever bought but it is running slow for what I need it for. It has primarily been a machine for running Adobe Creative Suite so I can get my work done. Some light gaming. No video editing but I commonly need Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Indesign and other programs outside of the Adobe stuff running at the same time, switching between them while I work.

To make a long story short, I decided to upgrade to a new 27 inch iMac a few days back. The top model but not maxed out. When I called in to order the rep was able to knock $100 off and also reduced the Apple Care by $50 for the 3 years of coverage.

After having the system for a couple days, browsing the net I realized that an iMac refresh could be coming. I am well within my 14 day return. I apologize about another thread pertaining to the possible iMac refresh but I had that sinking feeling that I bought too early. I usually would of done more research on a purchase like this and normally would of caught myself beforehand but my '08 iMac was just awesome.

So my question is do you think it is worth the hassle of boxing this back up and returning it to play the apple waiting game? My old iMac is just not cutting it that well now but I could probably get by for a bit. I did get this new one slightly cheaper than expected and the refresh when it comes could be even more expensive.

One minute I am leaning on returning it but then I think I may be overthinking this and I should just keep it and forget about all that since this machine is more than adequate for my needs. I do want to get as many years out of my purchase as possible. I would hate to miss out on a possible Retina display. Just curious about other people’s opinions. Ultimately, I will just have to make a decision but it is interesting to hear other perspectives.

Thanks for any comments!

I wouldn't expect any imminent update. Most, if not all rumors point to an early-mid 2015 release. Intel has been very open that their desktop class Broadwell processors will not be ready for quite a while. Don't hold your breath.

I would still return it though if you didn't get a fusion drive or an SSD. The hard drive is not upgradeable, so you are stuck with what you buy. The refurbished store is really the place to get an iMac these days. They come in new packaging with full warranty, so they are essentially new computers. It will be a better bang for your buck.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0PG1LL/A/refurbished-27-inch-imac-34ghz-quad-core-Intel-Core-i5

Just my opinion. Also, the educational discount drops the price by $100 and AppleCare by $50 for new computers. You don't need any proof to get those, so that is a guaranteed discount for everyone.

Best,
Matt

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
It's obviously bothering you now so I would just return it, otherwise you will always have that nagging feeling that you wish you had. You have an iMac that can keep you going in the mean time.

I suspect that the refresh won't include a Retina display though, but nobody knows for sure. If there isn't a Retina display then Apple probably won't increase the price, their standard modus operandi is to keep the same price points and just bump up the specs. My prediction is a minor spec upgrade soon, with Broadwell next year (although the advantages of Broadwell for desktops has been overstated).

Last edited:

vectordream

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2014
I wouldn't expect any imminent update. Most, if not all rumors point to an early-mid 2015 release. Intel has been very open that their desktop class Broadwell processors will not be ready for quite a while. Don't hold your breath.

I would still return it though if you didn't get a fusion drive or an SSD. The hard drive is not upgradeable, so you are stuck with what you buy. The refurbished store is really the place to get an iMac these days. They come in new packaging with full warranty, so they are essentially new computers. It will be a better bang for your buck.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0PG1LL/A/refurbished-27-inch-imac-34ghz-quad-core-Intel-Core-i5

Just my opinion. Also, the educational discount drops the price by $100 and AppleCare by $50 for new computers. You don't need any proof to get those, so that is a guaranteed discount for everyone.

Best,
Matt

Yeah I was thinking I should of at least got the fusion or SSD upgrade. Thanks for the reply!

----------

It's obviously bothering you now so I would just return it, otherwise you will always have that nagging feeling that you wish you had. You have an iMac that can keep you going in the mean time.

I suspect that the refresh won't include a retina display though, but nobody knows for sure. If there isn't a retina display then Apple probably won't increase the price, their standard modus operandi is to keep the same price points and just bump up the specs.

Yeah I was thinking the same way. I could keep it but don't want that nagging feeling. I will definitely be going Mac for the future even if I return this but I should at least get that Fusion or SSD I think.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013

I was under the impression that educational discount didn't apply to refurb products?

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
It's been 76 days since the last release, with a recent average of around 300. You'd be pretty unlucky if there was any major refresh in the next few months. That said, no-one can give you a definitive answer to that.

If there was a minor Apple-style spec bump to get 'New' on the website again, would you be bothered by a 0.1GHz increase? Probably not.

As for an SSD, for the stuff you're doing it's probably worth it. The speed increase from a normal HDD is just ridiculous, and for the Adobe Suite it's great. Or a fusion drive, I guess. I don't like not being in control of what is on which drive, though.

I put an SSD into my 2010 iMac (top of the range, non-BTO same as you) and I have no intention of upgrading any time soon. It's so fast - I mean, boot times are very specific, but usually give a good indicator of a computer's pace. It boots to a logged in state in 11-14 seconds. Photoshop CS6 opens up in around 1-2 seconds, and loading 200mb+ PSDs is almost instantaneous.

I guess it comes down to how much you value those saved seconds. I certainly don't use my SSD to it's full potential, but my 2010 iMac is quicker than those sitting in the Apple store - and that keeps me happy! (Sad, right?) ;)

JohnPi314

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2014
California
Hey All,

After having the system for a couple days, browsing the net I realized that an iMac refresh could be coming. I am well within my 14 day return. I apologize about another thread pertaining to the possible iMac refresh but I had that sinking feeling that I bought too early.

So my question is do you think it is worth the hassle of boxing this back up and returning it to play the apple waiting game?
One minute I am leaning on returning it but then I think I may be overthinking this and I should just keep it and forget about all that since this machine is more than adequate for my needs.
Thanks for any comments!

I've gone through the same thing. If you have ANY buyers remorse, box it up and return it - NOW. Trust me; you will feel better; be in a better state of ohm, and be delighted when you see all of that $ back in your bank that Apple has returned to you.

And then you will wish that you hadn't...and so the cycle continues...:p

Honestly, if you are still within you 14day RMA of the 9.9.14 media event, I'd say keep it; otherwise RMA it and then decide AFTER the media event.

I"ve got a mac mini (that I"m using now) and an ASUS PC siting' on the floor. The halo effect seems to be working, because I have another mini in a bedroom, an Apple Tv, and I'm thinking of getting a new iMac and an iPod and trading up the mini's. OR I might just DIY a gaming PC.

Anyway, I would wait to see what Apple brings to the table during the media event, then decide.

----------

Yeah I was thinking I should of at least got the fusion or SSD upgrade. Thanks for the reply!

----------

Yeah I was thinking the same way. I could keep it but don't want that nagging feeling. I will definitely be going Mac for the future even if I return this but I should at least get that Fusion or SSD I think.

The BTO $ for a 256SSD or a !Tb Fusion is the same..I'm going for the SSD.

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
Well, it sounds like you need a machine now. That is, your 2008 model is no longer fit for purpose and you are losing out because of that. So, if it's 'need' more than 'want', waiting on a hypothetical date for a hypothetical set of improvements is not going to help your productivity.

As for whether you should return it and up spec to fusion or sad, that's up to you. I went fusion because I didn't want to worry about exceeding 256Gb inside my machine and couldn't afford a terabyte ssd. I get ssd speeds for my most frequently used files (and those are the important ones) and it suits me.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Most likely the next gen iMac will have tunderbolt 2 and faster graphics, probaly a small cpu increase. So, unless you're in need of TB 2 over TB 1 (for external storage and 4k screens @ 60 hz) and better graphics i would keep it. But saying that, my girlfriend wants to switch to Mac, so we're holding off buying a new iMac and waiting for the updates. Ask yourself this, can you, as a professional, making money with your computer, do everything faster and getting more done with the new one comparred with the old one.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Most likely the next gen iMac will have tunderbolt 2 and faster graphics, probaly a small cpu increase. So, unless you're in need of TB 2 over TB 1 (for external storage and 4k screens @ 60 hz) and better graphics i would keep it. But saying that, my girlfriend wants to switch to Mac, so we're holding off buying a new iMac and waiting for the updates. Ask yourself this, can you, as a professional, making money with your computer, do everything faster and getting more done with the new one comparred with the old one.

I'm waiting for the next iMac refresh before I pull the trigger.

You're absolutely right that a 100Mhz CPU increase or thereabouts is neither here nor there. For future proofing TB2 over TB1 would be nice, but not critical.

Where I think it might make a difference is if Apple manages to include a 980M GPU in their top line iMac. It makes sense, release date for the GPU looks like it will be around October and Apple have been known to get Nvidia chips early. The upcoming iMac spec bump would probably be around the same time. This should be considerably faster than a 780M and jumping up to Maxwell will really help with thermals.

vectordream

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2014
I'm waiting for the next iMac refresh before I pull the trigger.

You're absolutely right that a 100Mhz CPU increase or thereabouts is neither here nor there. For future proofing TB2 over TB1 would be nice, but not critical.

Where I think it might make a difference is if Apple manages to include a 980M GPU in their top line iMac. It makes sense, release date for the GPU looks like it will be around October and Apple have been known to get Nvidia chips early. The upcoming iMac spec bump would probably be around the same time. This should be considerably faster than a 780M and jumping up to Maxwell will really help with thermals.

Getting the 980M GPU would be nice and another reason for me to return and wait. I think I could make it through the next 6-8 weeks with my old one since a refresh is likely to happen in that timeframe. I would not want to wait a whole lot longer than that though.

Like JohnPi314 said, I don't want any buyers remorse but I do need a better machine sooner than later. I would just exchange and get one with an SSD but I think it is worth it to return and possibly wait until around late October.

Last edited:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If you have doubts, return it.

$100 discount is really nothing and you can get AppleCare for even less from B&H.

Heck if you wait a while you may even find the old (current) one on discount more than just $100!

vectordream

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2014
If you have doubts, return it.

$100 discount is really nothing and you can get AppleCare for even less from B&H.

Heck if you wait a while you may even find the old (current) one on discount more than just $100!

Thanks! Yeah I have enough doubts so I am going to return and wait for just a bit. We will see what happens in the coming weeks.

Alekto

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2012
Tokyo
Intel haven't released any corresponding CPU upgrades, have they?

I saw they released a slew of low end i3 and pentium chips, haven't seen any new i5 or i7 parts that would be suitable.

The i5-4690 has only HD4600, so not suitable for the 21 inch and the i7-4790K runs too hot? TDP is rated at 88W.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Intel haven't released any corresponding CPU upgrades, have they?

I saw they released a slew of low end i3 and pentium chips, haven't seen any new i5 or i7 parts that would be suitable.

The i5-4690 has only HD4600, so not suitable for the 21 inch and the i7-4790K runs too hot? TDP is rated at 88W.

I'm sure you know more than I do, so please feel free to correct me.

According to this site http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core%20i7-4771.html the TDP of the current top line CPU (i7 4771 3.5Ghz) is 84W.

Wouldn't the i4790 at 88W be a perfect replacement? http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core%20i7-4790.html

Alekto

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2012
Tokyo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.