Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hirtaza

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
Toronto
I don't know the videos coming up nowadays showing the fully assembled phone as well as the leaked pictures...shows the space grey in the black model....am i the only one who prefers and loves the slate in iPhone 5 instead of this? thoughts? I would still go for the black but i don't know the slate is just "meeh" at best

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I don't know the videos coming up nowadays showing the fully assembled phone as well as the leaked pictures...shows the space grey in the black model....am i the only one who prefers and loves the slate in iPhone 5 instead of this? thoughts? I would still go for the black but i don't know the slate is just "meeh" at best
You are not alone. Several threads here wherein I have stated my opinion about black/slate (iPhone 5) and how gray is NOT black. :D

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Slate definitely looked better. I think space grey was just a cheaper work-around to address the scuffing issue, i.e. scruffs are less visible on the grey.

I have seen a few photos of an iPhone 6 rear shell in the slate color, hopefully it's an option.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
You are not alone. Several threads here wherein I have stated my opinion about black/slate (iPhone 5) and how gray is NOT black. :D

i wouldn't exactly call the slate iphone 5 black either. it had a very blue tint to it. space gray for me.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I prefer space grey. I like the contrast between the black glass and the light gray metal color. Slate had a slight blue tinge to it, or so it seemed.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida

I thought I'd see you post on this thread. Only reason I clicked on it.

Anyway, if I was into the back glass on the front, I'd get the slate over the space gray anyway.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I thought I'd see you post on this thread. Only reason I clicked on it.

Anyway, if I was into the back glass on the front, I'd get the slate over the space gray anyway.
Yeah, I'm a glutton for black iPhones. :D

Just my preference. My wife likes the white though.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
Yeah, I'm a glutton for black iPhones. :D

Just my preference. My wife likes the white though.

How long are you planning on keeping it?
One day you'll have to give it up, one day, and move on with another iPhone.
Maybe you should try white, the white is nice. :D

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
How long are you planning on keeping it?
One day you'll have to give it up, one day, and move on with another iPhone.
Maybe you should try white, the white is nice. :D
I plan on keeping it until it dies. Whenever that may be.

I just gave away my HTC Touch Pro this year for someone to be able to keep their Sprint SERO (employee) plan. That phone was from May 2009. I also gave up my iPhone 3GS that my sister gave me for Christmas 2011 so a friend could have a phone. That one was black and is still serving.

So, not overly worried about that. I'll upgrade at some point. May not be an iPhone, may be. I like Apple. I own a lot of PowerPC Macs, but I'm not an overly attached fanboy so whatever I may like. The iPhone 5 is what I waited for (didn't want the 4/4S). Now that everything seems to be oriented towards gray and not black…not so much interest in the iPhone for me.

I will admit that my wife's white iPhone 5 is very attractive, but the color is just not my style.

Don't even get me started on iOS 7 which I, unfortunately, have been forced to use because I had to replace my iPhone 5 because of battery issues.

craigc_

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
I prefer the "stealth" looks of Slate over Space a Grey. But I'll be happy with either.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I prefer space grey. I like the contrast between the black glass and the light gray metal color. Slate had a slight blue tinge to it, or so it seemed.

Spot on. The slate didn't provide enough contrast - it made the iPhone 5 look off.

Space Grey is beautiful.

dragon671556

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2013
I just replaced my white iphone 4s with the the space gray 5s. I just matches my ipad minir which is also space gray. When the 6s rolls around I'll decide what color phone to get then.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.

Same here. This "space grey" is stupid and confuses me. Why would Apple do that when black was by far the best seller? I don't get it.

:apple:

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
I love my iPhone 3G and iPhone 4 black colour. I think space gray looked alright, so I might just get that one.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Be honest, I don't really care for the black. I'm more of a silver person. I have used the Space Grey for almost a year now and I have definitely gotten used to it, but I'd get the Gold or Silver one next.

iBanker

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2014
46th floor
Slate is better in my opinion, space grey kinda grows on you though.

Still hoping for leather cases like the 5s had.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
"space grey is so sleek and stealth like Batman"

I paraphrased that. But I remember some epically cool guy on the forums saying exactly that when asked which phone he was picking. I am waiting for your return sir.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
space grey on the 5s would have been amazing if the whole back had been space grey but I understand its more cost effective to use black top and bottom plastic bits that they can also use on other iPhones. such a shame

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.