Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rebeccachavez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
Where do you usually sell your used iPhone when upgrading? There's a lot of sites out there so I'm wondering if there are some other option I never heard of that people had a good experience with. No eBay or Craigslist though, I don't want to do the work myself...call me lazy but I prefer just sending it in to a buyback company.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
I usually sell to Amazon or Gazelle. It depends who has a better price. I find that Gazelle is better though. If you want super quick, then I would Re moment Best Buy. You show up at customer service and they check it out. If they out see any issues, you get your in store credit. I've had good experiences with any of them.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Usually Craigslist but I"m feelin lazy this time so already locked in a price with Gazelle.

:apple:

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
I sold my last phone to my cousin. My dad has sold two different iphones via Craigslist. If you go with something like Craigslist and meet the person, go to a public place. I think most times he tries to go to the carrier store for the phone that it's locked to.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Here, Amazon, or Craigslist. I avoid Ebay.

Being in China now, I find reselling a bit harder.

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
I usually do eBay or Craigslist. I prefer Craigslist to avoid the hefty eBay final value fee's but I tend to use eBay the most. Sometimes its just easier to take the phone down to the post office and mail it.

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
Its Gazelle for me. You won't get the best price but then you don't have to deal with the Craigslist hassles. So maybe it is the best price in the end.

jkel777

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2014
Usually Craigslist or eBay. But I'm going to try Swappa this time to sell my 5s.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Usually Craigslist. I was able to get $450 cash for my iPhone 5 last year about 3 weeks after the 5S was released. I was pretty satisfied with that.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Sold my 64GB Silver AT&T model on CL for $575 today. Guy talked me down from $600 since I forgot to bring the beat up old leather Apple case. Oh well, lol.

I've sold iPhones on CL in three states now (yeah, traveled a bit for school lol) and have never had issues. I always leave a number for people to text and ask questions, I always meet either at AT&T, Verizon, or Apple, depending on the device, and I always make sure to talk to the guy over the phone at least once before meeting. Maybe I am just super lucky, IDK.

Anyway, Test driving the Lumia 520 that I found at Target for $35 on clearance. WHOLE LOT OF PHONE for $35. Makes me rethink how much of what I get from an iPhone is a need versus a want! :eek:

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Sold my 64GB Silver AT&T model on CL for $575 today. Guy talked me down from $600 since I forgot to bring the beat up old leather Apple case. Oh well, lol.

I've sold iPhones on CL in three states now (yeah, traveled a bit for school lol) and have never had issues. I always leave a number for people to text and ask questions, I always meet either at AT&T, Verizon, or Apple, depending on the device, and I always make sure to talk to the guy over the phone at least once before meeting. Maybe I am just super lucky, IDK.

Anyway, Test driving the Lumia 520 that I found at Target for $35 on clearance. WHOLE LOT OF PHONE for $35. Makes me rethink how much of what I get from an iPhone is a need versus a want! :eek:

Was it locked or unlocked? I'm considering selling my same exact model as you did as well.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Was it locked or unlocked? I'm considering selling my same exact model as you did as well.

It was locked to AT&T. The difference between locked and unlocked phones on CL here is like $50 or less.

I am also anal about my electronics and the phone looked as good as it did the day I bought it. That always helps resale value so long as you find the right person to buy it.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
buybackworld.com

Got a good price, quick service and no trickery from them.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
buybackworld.com

Got a good price, quick service and no trickery from them.

They quoted me $310 for a 64GB. That's a bit more than half of what I got private sale (I did get a really good price, I admit).

I have found that base model phones on these sites are way more fair than the higher storage counterparts, especially considering the premiums we paid for the extra storage a year (maybe less) ago.

makerleone

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2014
USA
I just sold my last iPhone 4S in quicker in february 2014. but i generally sold my old phones on Amazon, olx and quicker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.