Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MeeMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2013
USA, USA, USA!

Will the new AMERICAN MADE MAC MINI be announced next week? Finally, after much design and development, will APPLE make their return voyage to America with a new MAC MINI that is MADE IN THE USA this holiday season?

What do YOU think will be some of the features this little Red, White, and Blue Beauty can bring to the Apple Family, and the stock market?

Buy the stock pre-announcement; while you can still afford it.
:):apple:

Slippery Gimp

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Leeds, UK
I've wondered for a while if this is why there have been no leaks at all about any potential new Mini. Produce low volume stuff in the US.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
USA, USA, USA!

Will the new AMERICAN MADE MAC MINI be announced next week? Finally, after much design and development, will APPLE make their return voyage to America with a new MAC MINI that is MADE IN THE USA this holiday season?

What do YOU think will be some of the features this little Red, White, and Blue Beauty can bring to the Apple Family, and the stock market?

Buy the stock pre-announcement; while you can still afford it.
:):apple:

1. No, it won't happen. Possibly in October, just a guess

2. USA ? No

techn9ne

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2014
Is there some reason people are speculating this? Rumors? Apple hinting at it? I mean, if that's the case - that's cool, but as someone said above, it might just be an American assembly. If it does happen to be USA-made or assembled, it will probably solve all of the US economy problems.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Made? No.
Assembled? Perhaps.

Huge difference.

Well if you want to get technical then the Mac Pro isn't made here either. I know for a fact all the Xeons I have seen were not made in the US. I'm sure most of the parts in that machine weren't made here either, however the boards received their components, the case was made, and everything was assembled and the machine was shipped from the US.

Beliblis

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2011
Made (or assembled) in the USA? I couldn't care less! But as long as they don't put a discrete GPU into the machine, I'm game!
Suffering from MBP Radeongate, and looking at Apple's poor track record with discrete GPU, I refuse to buy any other Apple computer with discrete GPU. My white 2008 MB still works fine!

Back on-topic....
Assembled in USA would make sense in a way:

1) Complete new redesign is overdue. And Made In USA keeps pre-release rumours down to a minimum. Then move on to assembly outside the USA if need be...

2) assembly in the USA can be done whilst keeping costs relatively low. Price hike of $50 maybe, if that...
Processor / GPU (hopefully not) / RAM / drives / HD / ... they all cost the same all around the world.

3) Cost of Labour? Negletable... I can strip down a current MacMini and rebuild it within 1h. Hourly wage?
Human work time will be reduced to an absolute minimum anyway: hard-soldered RAM and SSD.

4) Machinery expenses? Maybe the current Mac Pro assembly line can be converted and/or expanded to handle Mac Mini assembly...

Total no-brainer IMHO. So, yes: assembled in the USA. To be introduced next Tuesday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.