Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Who've suffered from a vertical pink line approx. 2.5" line appearing?

If so, was it deemed to be a graphic card failure?

Just wondering as it's appeared on mine today. It's just short of three years old (I purchased it via Barclays Partner Finance in the UK in October 2011.)

I have spoken to Apple Support via the Live Chat functionality and they asked me to make sure it wasn't a software issue first (which I've done and it's still there) so it sounds like the hardware has failed?

I could live with it but it cost me £999 and quite frankly I'm annoyed it's happened. I know nothing lasts forever but for that amount of money I expect better, if I'm honest!

Thank you for taking the time to have a look!

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Who've suffered from a vertical pink line approx. 2.5" line appearing?

If so, was it deemed to be a graphic card failure?

Just wondering as it's appeared on mine today. It's just short of three years old (I purchased it via Barclays Partner Finance in the UK in October 2011.)

I have spoken to Apple Support via the Live Chat functionality and they asked me to make sure it wasn't a software issue first (which I've done and it's still there) so it sounds like the hardware has failed?

I could live with it but it cost me £999 and quite frankly I'm annoyed it's happened. I know nothing lasts forever but for that amount of money I expect better, if I'm honest!

Thank you for taking the time to have a look!

Is it the base model or the high end 21.5" mid 2011? From my knowledge the GPU issues were only on the MBP 15" 2011's and the 27" mid 2011 iMacs that shipped with faulty AMD GPU's. Could you take a picture of it?

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Is that constant? Does it always stay there (booting up...)? If it moves depending on the task (much as when going into mission control) then I would say that a re-install may just work.

It's been constant since it first appeared this afternoon.

Have tried a re-install of the software (went through the first boot sequence) but it stayed there.

Am currently downloading Yosemite under the Public Beta and seeing if it appears there.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
It's been constant since it first appeared this afternoon.

Have tried a re-install of the software (went through the first boot sequence) but it stayed there.

Am currently downloading Yosemite under the Public Beta and seeing if it appears there.

Well I've downloaded Yosemite and installed the Beta; the problem still persists.

Apple Support have provided me with details of my local Authorised Reseller here in Derby. They charge a fee of £29 for diagnostics; plus whatever labour costs the repair entails.

geoffpalmeruk

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2013
If it's anything like my late 11 mbp it could be the gpu, weather or not it covers the imacs i'm not sure, You could download and install the latest gfxCardStatus utility (currently v2.3) and be able to disable the discrete gpu on the fly from the menubar: http://gfx.io

This allowed me to confirm my suspicion of it being the ATi card at fault. The person on the chat said i wasn't covered but took it into the store and replicated the issue, discussed the sales of goods act and got a free repair (new logic board)

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
If it's anything like my late 11 mbp it could be the gpu, weather or not it covers the imacs i'm not sure, You could download and install the latest gfxCardStatus utility (currently v2.3) and be able to disable the discrete gpu on the fly from the menubar: http://gfx.io

This allowed me to confirm my suspicion of it being the ATi card at fault. The person on the chat said i wasn't covered but took it into the store and replicated the issue, discussed the sales of goods act and got a free repair (new logic board)

Hello Geoff,

Thank you for your reply, too. I've just downloaded the above program but it's not compatible with my iMac (it only works with MacBook Pros.)

There's a Authorised Reseller here in Derby whom I'm going to call once they open at 9am; I am going to quote the Sales of Goods Act as IMHO three years isn't a reasonable length of time before a GPU failure (and the fact I haven't misused it to cause it to fail) and see how I go from there.

From what I've read some MBPs and the 27" models were subject to a replacement by Apple; however the GPU used in those models isn't present in mine.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Well I have taken it in now and should get an engineer's report early next week with another week on top to get it repaired and back in my possession.

The young lady in the store seemed to think it was dead pixels (although the chap in the shop thought it may be dead pixels/graphics card failure) so will have to see what the conclusion is.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Hmm, my mac is going in later today for my logic board replacement... 3-5 working days :-(

Bummer! How much is that going to set you back?

Received a voicemail today; £414 to get the LCD replaced! Trade in value is approx. £300 and I think three years is far too soon to get a failure so going to contact Apple and appeal to them to repair it for free under the Sales of Goods Act.

geoffpalmeruk

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2013
Despite it being out of warranty and it's a late 2011 not the early one they are doing it free, otherwise it would have been £470 ish

geoffpalmeruk

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2013
Yep! Went in had a chat, showed them i did me reserch and didn't even need to state the sales of goods act, then again the fact o was wearing my police ID may have helped lol!

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Well I've spoken to Stuart at KRCS.

I told him I thought three years wasn't a reasonable length of time to expect a LCD panel failure.

He said he'd contest the issue with Apple (I've sent him a copy of the invoice) so am now waiting to hear back and see what the outcome is.

I'm currently typing this on a seven year old laptop LOL! :mad:

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Well I've spoken to Stuart at KRCS.

I told him I thought three years wasn't a reasonable length of time to expect a LCD panel failure.

He said he'd contest the issue with Apple (I've sent him a copy of the invoice) so am now waiting to hear back and see what the outcome is.

I'm currently typing this on a seven year old laptop LOL! :mad:

Pleased to report Apple have agreed to replace the LCD panel free of charge; will get my iMac back at the end of the week!

Thank you to everyone to looked and helped at this thread!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.