Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I've been looking for an iPad 4th generation with 128 GB for a while now. I thought I'd wait until the iPhone 6 comes out, perhaps the next iPad would be released at the same time and therefore lower the prices for the 4th generation even more.

The prices I was looking at were something around 420-500€, although I must say, those around 500€ have been staying online forever. Always 128 GB by the way, I only look at these.

Remember – I'm talking about the 4th gen. Now that the iPhone 6 came out, I've suddenly seen 128 GB iPads for under 400. But not 4th generation iPads, no, but iPad Airs!

Is this possible at all? It seems like people are selling their iPads to buy the new iPhone. I'm wondering if the prices will go down a lot when the new iPad comes out, I don't know when that will be, but I'd like to buy an iPad soon. I think after that, prices will become more stable again. It seems like those cheap iPads are on sale because of people who instantly want the new Apple product, and therefore sell the old one. Later people are not that crazy about it anymore, and prices may even raise a bit it seems.

I may be wrong, what do you think?

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
If you are selling online like on eBay demand seems to spike for everything during the holidays. I know that if the iPod touch gen 6 comes out which it most certainly will I will be selling my 5th gen in December to get the most out of it. Unless my cousin wants to buy it from me since she is stuck with a crappy gen 4 iPod touch.

kitzuki

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2009
gamestop drop their prices for the ipad 100 bucks this morning getting a 64 for my cousin for 460

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
People consolidating their electronics due to phablet sized iphone

Just a guess

I think that guess is right on the money. Folks would rather have one device instead of two. I'm considering selling my 4th generation iPad, but I'm not sure it's such a good idea what with the wireless keyboard.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Price drops are more likely due to the impending iPad event in October.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
If you are selling online like on eBay demand seems to spike for everything during the holidays. I know that if the iPod touch gen 6 comes out which it most certainly will I will be selling my 5th gen in December to get the most out of it. Unless my cousin wants to buy it from me since she is stuck with a crappy gen 4 iPod touch.

demand does spike and the Apple Refurb store usually sells out of most of the popular models. that's why every holiday season i buy (12) refurb 16GB models of the most recent model and i flip them. i make ~$500 which pays for most of my xmas gifts

i won't be doing it this season though b/c the resale value of iPads has plummeted thanks to the crap iPad Air flooding the market at $100 off all over the place.

Tminusg

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2011
People consolidating their electronics due to phablet sized iphone

Just a guess

Decided to chime in here. Someone who has been a long time phablet user, phablets will never replace a tablet. Two completely different animals.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
They are but it came with a one year warranty with Apple and is eligible for apple care not a bad deal imo

Yes, I used to buy all that stuff new, but now I'm buying things used. Anyone who pays the full price is just stupid in my opinion. The production cost of an iPhone is around 4 to 5 times less than the price it is sold at, and you know it. It is simply not worth it.
That's why now I always look for second hand products, in perfect condition of course and with warranty too, so you can always extend the Apple Care plan if you wish to. The value loss is just so big on these products, that you can easily get an almost brand new product for half the price. I've been watching iPad Airs and iPhone 5S's for a while now, some are half a year old, some or only a few weeks old, and they're being sold at around half of what they cost new. I know many people who buy their Apple products like that now. ;)

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
If you see a price drop next month then you'll know a new iPad range is imminent.

You'll need to wait a bit longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.