Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

auzzuro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
iphone 6 now have a much better resolution call retina hd .. do u guys think that future ipad will have retina hd display

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
iphone 6 now have a much better resolution call retina hd .. do u guys think that future ipad will have retina hd display

Whenever they update the resolution of the iPad's (both Air, and Mini) they will certainly call them retina HD screens. However I do not think they will be updating the resolution of the iPad's for a while. Not until the next redesign anyway. The iPad Air just got a redesign last year, and the retina iPad Mini just became a retina iPad last year, so I think those two are going to stay the same resolution for several (2-4) more years.

I think it's likely that the next resolution change will happen one generation before the next redesign, just like how the iPad 3 received the retina screen, and then the next iteration came with a redesign (iPad Air).

To be honest, the resolution of the current iPad Air, and retina iPad Mini are quite high. 2048×1536, which is higher than 1080p (1920x1080). Just for reference the iPhone 5/5S have a resolution of 1136x640. However the screen is smaller, therefore the PPI is 326. The retina iPad Mini's screen happens to be 326 PPI also, which means that both are theoretically as sharp to look at. The iPad Air, since having the same resolution, but a larger screen has a PPI of 264, but since the resolution is quite high, I find it to be quite sharp. Not glorious 4k resolution, but it's sharp. I also find the iPad Air's display to be more enjoyable in general - because they gimped the retina iPad Mini's display by giving it a smaller color gamut. Therefore the colors on the iPad Air pop more, and when compared to the mini, the mini starts to look dull and faded.

I know I covered a lot of topics, but I hope that helps anyone passing by.

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
Don't expect it. And I wouldn't want it. Raising it more will just tax the GPU and battery...

2048x1536 is more than enough for the next several years.

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
I think Apple has stricken a good balance in product update cycles this time around. I bet we'll see minor updates to the iPad this year alternating with a redesign of iPhone. while next year, the iPad will boast new features but the iPhones will get the S update.

Think of it, the A9 processor might trump the current gen A8 and MIGHT support retina HD on iPad Air 3 and Mini 4.

A8 just boasts 25% improved performance over A7 and 50% improved GPU performance over A7. vis-a-vis the jump from A6 to A7.

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
I would say it's time. Current resolution is the same as early 2012 and it's going to be 2015 soon. They would keep the resolution the same all the way to late 2015?

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I would say it's time. Current resolution is the same as early 2012 and it's going to be 2015 soon. They would keep the resolution the same all the way to late 2015?

Why not? Change for sake of change is dumb, and there is nothing wrong with the current resolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.