Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I found this nifty app that shows you where would take MasterCard PayPass, well you know what that means, these places will also take :apple:Pay!

Strange how the app doesn't have a single rating or review :confused:

You would think since it's been on the App Store since Jan 13th of this year that someone might have left one.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-13 at 2.05.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-13 at 2.05.06 PM.png
    315 KB · Views: 138

CoyoteRidge

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014

JoeTomasone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mastercard-nearby/id778074772?mt=8

I found this nifty app that shows you where would take MasterCard PayPass, well you know what that means, these places will also take :apple:Pay!

I am going to use this app to find where I can pay with my phone, and frequent these merchants more.

It's not always accurate. I am at a Subway that is listed in the app, but they don't have a terminal for customers to use at all, let alone a contactless one.

Fortunately, you can submit that fact (contactless not accepted), so hopefully the database will improve as people use it.

JWorld127

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
I got all excited to go download this app...then I saw it optimized for iphone 5 then i realized how lame i would be just to look for places in an app to pay with my cell phone...i mean cmon if im somewhere and they accept it cool, but im not revolving my life around places that use NFC.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I got all excited to go download this app...then I saw it optimized for iphone 5 then i realized how lame i would be just to look for places in an app to pay with my cell phone...i mean cmon if im somewhere and they accept it cool, but I'm not revolving my life around places that use NFC.

There's a middle ground that others have discovered.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Find places that accept Apple Pay? Why ? The folks at Apple will love you and other customers who reason as you do.

Folks like you must not care about technology.

----------

I got all excited to go download this app...then I saw it optimized for iphone 5 then i realized how lame i would be just to look for places in an app to pay with my cell phone...i mean cmon if im somewhere and they accept it cool, but im not revolving my life around places that use NFC.

Remember when credit cards first came out? Not everywhere took it either. But instead of an app you got a large book like a phone book of who took the card.

----------

It's not always accurate. I am at a Subway that is listed in the app, but they don't have a terminal for customers to use at all, let alone a contactless one.

Fortunately, you can submit that fact (contactless not accepted), so hopefully the database will improve as people use it.

They probably do but they were dumb and didn't turn the terminal to face the customer.

In this case I refuse to hand my card over to cashiers,when they have a customer facing terminal, either let me slide my own card or let me tap my phone.

cjake

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Thanks for this. Had no idea there were so many retailers supporting contactless payments nearby.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for this. Had no idea there were so many retailers supporting contactless payments nearby.

I've noticed it doesn't list all retailers that take it but it does most. It also helps you discover mom and pop places that you never knew took it.

cjake

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
I've noticed it doesn't list all retailers that take it but it does most. It also helps you discover mom and pop places that you never knew took it.
And discover places near me that I never would have noticed otherwise. Like a great burger and beer place; Burger Jones.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
One of the places shown on the map near me, a grocery store, had no NFC readers.

Are you sure? They aren't immediately noticeable. At my local grocery store Basha's you tap the phone to the screen of the terminal anyway and it works. The screen just says please slide card. I tap the phone and the terminal processes the payment and off I go.

No contactless symbol or anything.

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
Thanks for this! Will check it out. And didn't know about terminals that don't always display NFC or have that symbol -- will go ahead and try them now as well.

Thanks for the heads-up!

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I have this app installed as well and find it extremely useful. However, keep in mind it won't show all the locations that take NFC/Apple Pay. My local Home Depot isn't listed in the app but I did use Apple Pay with an Amex card there. Coincidentally, many are reporting that MasterCard doesn't work with Apple Pay at Home Depot so it's not surprising it's not listed.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
I've used the App over the last week and it is useful. Note that there are more places that take NFC than this lists... so far I haven't had any of the reverse though.

Has anyone noticed sometimes you zoom in on the map and then it will "snap" back and zoom out? So annoying!

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I've used the App over the last week and it is useful. Note that there are more places that take NFC than this lists... so far I haven't had any of the reverse though.

Has anyone noticed sometimes you zoom in on the map and then it will "snap" back and zoom out? So annoying!

Must be an iOS 8 bug. Also remember the place has to take MasterCard to show in the app. My local AM/PM just got brand new NFC readers, but they only take debit cards, I can tap my WF debit on Apple Pay fine, but if I choose a credit card, it declines.- therefore not listed in this app.

jimmirehman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2012

I don't see why you wouldn't. If retailers who refuse to adopt new technology don't see a decline in business because of it, the new tech will never be fully adopted. Its not that hard to shop at NFC only places... make some efforts and contribute to forward migration for christ's sake.

garya73

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2013
Delaware, USA
Another option is gosoftcard.com, they show a list of places that accept Softcard, but I am fairly certain that Softcard is not exclusive anywhere, and is simply showing places that accept NFC payments.

Though I have only used it at Walgreens and McDonald's so far. But local Subway locations are showing up as options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.