Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
with these new thinner phones especially the iphone 6+ with a 5.5 inch screen, I wonder how many customers or iPhone owners are going to try and get their phone replaced because it's bent.? I can just see it now, I bent my iPhone! this is definitely an exciting launch for sure, and I think I might do something that I've never done before, which is go sit in line at an AT&T store overnight to try and get me a 6 plus. the only reason that I'm considering this is because I'll be on vacation.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Have my phone in my (front) pocket everyday and have NEVER bent it. If you sit on your phone while it's in your back pocket and bends, well I call you an idiot.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Prepare for the threads. Mark my words now.

"Bend gate"

Bent iPhone. It bent itself. It was sitting on the table, counter, in my car, pocket and it bent!! How, why??? Damn you Apple! My phone is defective!!!! Apple needs to be sued for my stupidity and fat butt!!

Yeah, here it comes. :rolleyes:

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
It's somewhat true. I have bent a 5S before and I never sit on it or keep it in my back pocket. The 6+ in particular might suffer from some bending due to its length but I think both versions will be vunerable.

Jmacman78

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2007
Northwest, CT

"Bend gate"

Bent iPhone. It bent itself. It was sitting on the table, counter, in my car, pocket and it bent!! How, why??? Damn you Apple! My phone is defective!!!! Apple needs to be sued for my stupidity and fat butt!!

Haha, true. It's always something. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
It's somewhat true. I have bent a 5S before and I never sit on it or keep it in my back pocket. The 6+ in particular might suffer from some bending due to its length but I think both versions will be vunerable.

Explain to us how you managed to bend it?

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Flex it a little bit each day and in a month you'll have an :apple:WATCH months ahead of anyone else!

Apple-iWatch-vs-iPhone-6-for-curved-display.jpg

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
The rounded shape of the iPhone 6 sides will make it much harder to bend than the 5/5S. A round pipe is much harder to bend than a square pipe.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

"Bend gate"

It bent itself? Sure, if your're Uri Geller. :D

Djentleman

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
UK
How do you bend a phone? It either snaps or it doesn't. Don't get me wrong, but isn't aluminium a solid material?

I had a Motorola Razr when they first came out and I never suffered bends. Of course, when my dad grabbed it with two hands and pushed the opposite ends together, it snapped instantly. I would have preferred if it had bent, but ya know, **** happens.

But no, I don't think it will. But take precautions. Just in case.

maybeiloveyou

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2006
california
What are you doing that your phone will bend??? I've sat on my 5 (in the back pocket) multiple times and nothing has happened. I'm not tiny, but I'm also not overweight or obese, if that makes a difference. I feel like you would have to put a LOT of pressure for it to bend, and then wouldn't the glass snap as well?

Djentleman

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
UK
What are you doing that your phone will bend??? I've sat on my 5 (in the back pocket) multiple times and nothing has happened. I'm not tiny, but I'm also not overweight or obese, if that makes a difference. I feel like you would have to put a LOT of pressure for it to bend, and then wouldn't the glass snap as well?

This. I've sat on my previous phones many times, and so have family members, and not one bent out of shape. I remember there being a few threads of bent devices flooding, especially iPads, but those were manufacturing issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.