Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of the launch of the large-screened iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, Apple has released a detailed support document that walks Android users through moving data from their Android devices to the iPhone.

The document includes information on moving email accounts to the iPhone, giving Android users instructions on how to add email accounts to the Mail app. It suggests using a third-party app (Copy My Data [Direct Link]) to transfer data like contacts, calendars, and photos.

androidswitch.jpg
Apple suggests Android users can transfer photos, videos, books, and music from Android devices to iPhones using iTunes on a Mac or PC, giving step-by-step instructions. The document also walks users through transferring various documents to iCloud, which can then be opened in Pages, Keynote, and Numbers via iCloud and on iOS devices using the three apps.

Ahead of the launch of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, analysts suggested that the introduction of a larger-screened device could trigger a massive spike in upgrades and lure Android users who were using the Android platform due to the availability of devices with big screens.

Last week, Apple CEO Tim Cook made similar statements, suggesting the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus would trigger "the mother of all upgrades" with Android users also looking to switch to the iPhone due to the fact that the phones are "appreciably better in every single way."

On Monday, Apple announced that it had processed more than four million iPhone 6 and 6 Plus pre-orders on the first day of pre-launch dales, doubling the previous iPhone 5 pre-order record set in 2012. Pre-order supplies of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus dwindled quickly, with iPhone 6 Plus shipping estimates slipping to 3 to 4 weeks early Friday morning and iPhone 6 shipping estimates slipping to 7 to 10 days on Friday evening.

Apple's iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus will be available in stores beginning on Friday, September 19. Early pre-orders will also begin arriving to customers on that date.

Article Link: Apple Launches Guide for Android Users Switching to iPhone

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Is it really hard enough to need a support document for it? I mean, it was pretty simple when I made the switch a few years back... But I'm probably not representative of Android users, I guess.

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
Awesome idea. There will be a lot of switchers that just wanted a bigger phone.

arian19

macrumors demi-god
Jul 9, 2008
I for one welcome all android defectors back! We forgive you for leaving...

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
Apple should have a 800 number for Android users to confess their sins before allowing them in to the garden.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
you should not need a guide when you plug in an android device to your PC or Mac it becomes an external drive allowing you to look in all the folders to transfer things from the phone to the computer unlike iPhone

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
you should not need a guide when you plug in an android device to your PC or Mac it becomes an external drive allowing you to look in all the folders to transfer things from the phone to the computer unlike iPhone

So, I take it you aren't switching to Apple, but still feel the need to comment?

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
And you think that the average person would know what to do with that information?

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
It's obvious Cook is going full steam ahead trying to win iOS market share back. iOS 8 is much more open and the phone itself now finally comes in multiple sizes.

I just hope this change of heart at Apple didn't come too late...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.