Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NoShiny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
I put ios 8 on my iPhone 5

I downloaded the Yosemite Beta 3 and installed on my mac mini

Both devices function fine, but.....

I wanted to be able to answer phone on mini (using headset that functions fine with skype)

AND I really want to send sms text messages from the Mac Messages app (my wife has an android)

if I start typing a text on my phone, a symbol pops up on computer like they are connected. When I click on that symbol in the dock Messages opens and my wife's cell number is there, but if I type something in Messages and try to send I get an error message that this number, (my wife's) is not registered with iMessage.

and if my wife calls me I see the notification on the mac mini, but if I accept I cannot hear her and she does not here me

have these features been crippled with the Beta 3

Please help

ryguy92000

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City, UT
Betas can be tricky!

As far as using the continuity feature on yosemite it will be very tough to confirm if the beta is fully functional or not!

Also continuity requires bluetooth 4.0. A matter which will vary from mac to mac!

Good Luck! :D

theonekcrow

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Indiana
SMS Relay has been crippled by iOS 8, as they don't want to release it until the 8.1 update next month (assuming the update is labeled 8.1).

Calls should still relay just fine as long as you have set it up correctly, and you have the proper equipment to answer calls.

Newfiebill

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2011
Features are Working

Hi, I am on Public Beta 4 and Developer iOS 8.1, SMS and LTE calls are working on a 2014 13" rMBO and iPhone 6.

NoShiny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
Hi, I am on Public Beta 4 and Developer iOS 8.1, SMS and LTE calls are working on a 2014 13" rMBO and iPhone 6.

Ok. So I have to decide whether to try Beta 4 (I have Beta 3 now) I don't know whether it is the os x or the iOS that has enabled the feature of SMS but I suspect it is the IOS. which means trying Beta 4 won't really help me

I suppose I will just have to wait for the official release of both products.

Not sure how to get the developer version of the IOS. Right now I am operating with iOS 8.0.2

Thanks for the info. Got any advise?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.