Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xpac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
1) I have the serial number which is great as it gives me the year it was built and hardware specs, but how do I know which version of OS X it should run?

2) New laptops ship with a recovery partition, I'm willing to bet this didn't (based on the serial its an older MacBook circa 2008), is there an easy way to find out or obtain a copy of whichever version of the OS it should be running?

As I said I was asked to rebuild this laptop for a new employee, there is no software and since I'm new here I have no idea who originally built it, etc.

xpac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
what do you mean by rebuild the laptop? software wise?
well, if its a 2008 Macbook, i'm going to suggest Snow Leopard as the maximum OS, since its an old machine.
Good luck

Yep I meant software wise, and thanks that's what I was looking for!

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
1) I have the serial number which is great as it gives me the year it was built and hardware specs, but how do I know which version of OS X it should run?

2) New laptops ship with a recovery partition, I'm willing to bet this didn't (based on the serial its an older MacBook circa 2008), is there an easy way to find out or obtain a copy of whichever version of the OS it should be running?

As I said I was asked to rebuild this laptop for a new employee, there is no software and since I'm new here I have no idea who originally built it, etc.
The early 2008 models came with either Tiger or Leopard installed, the very first ones had Tiger. Mine came with Leopard.

My GF is running Mavericks on my old 2008 MBP with no problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.