Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Denver
This has been a problem for me for about a year, and started when I had to reinstall Mac OS X from a time machine backup.

I am trying to use iCloud and iMessage, and each time I sign in, my keychain has amnesia and continually asks me for the password. I checked keychain access and it shows a bunch of entries for:

<key>
iMessage Encryption Key
iMessage Signing Key

I get the pop up every time someone sends me an iMessage to my phone. iMessage sync DOES work on my iPad mini, but it is failing to send or receive from my Mac.

Thanks,

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Have you run Keychain First Aid?

First, open up Keychain Access (I use Spotlight to find it), open the app's Preferences, then select the "First Aid" tab. If the box marked Keep login keychain unlocked is not checked, check it. Close the Preferences dialog box.

From the Keychain Access Menu, run Keychain First Aid and you'll need your user name and password - run the Verify command, and if there are issues, run the Repair command.

That's a start, and fixes a multitude of ills. I'd also use Disk Utility to Repair Permissions while you're at it...

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Denver
Have you run Keychain First Aid?

First, open up Keychain Access (I use Spotlight to find it), open the app's Preferences, then select the "First Aid" tab. If the box marked Keep login keychain unlocked is not checked, check it. Close the Preferences dialog box.

From the Keychain Access Menu, run Keychain First Aid and you'll need your user name and password - run the Verify command, and if there are issues, run the Repair command.

That's a start, and fixes a multitude of ills. I'd also use Disk Utility to Repair Permissions while you're at it...

Thanks for the reply. Yes I've run both multiple times.

Code:
Verification started
Checking keychain configuration for ####### (user ID=502)
Home directory is /Users/#######
Checked login keychain
Checked default keychain
Checked contents of ~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain
No problems found
Verification completed

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
So the next step would be to first delete the two iMessage entries from Keychain Access, then restart your Mac, log in and try Messages again (you didn't offer which version of OS X you're using, but that's largely irrelevant for this). You'll be prompted for a password again, and hopefully you'll be good to go. This fix has addressed a multitude of hiccups for me...

Next up would be deleting from and adding your account information to Messages again, and now you're down to your last option.

Delete your old and add a new user account with your relevant account info again - the final option I can think of.

That's all I've got, good luck!

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Denver
So the next step would be to first delete the two iMessage entries from Keychain Access, then restart your Mac, log in and try Messages again (you didn't offer which version of OS X you're using, but that's largely irrelevant for this). You'll be prompted for a password again, and hopefully you'll be good to go. This fix has addressed a multitude of hiccups for me...!

This exactly worked! I deleted all of my keys related to iMessage and <key>, restarted, and then bam! Wow. Thanks.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
This exactly worked! I deleted all of my keys related to iMessage and <key>, restarted, and then bam! Wow. Thanks.
You're welcome. I saw you are in Austin, I had to help. I was there a few "lifetimes" ago, miss the food and music - have some brisket at Frankin on me, if that's your thing. Miss that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.