Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dagdagdag234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
I've never bought an Apple case before but these seem pretty nice visually -- thin, well fit, nice colors. Contours the phone well...

However, I've seen a bunch of Apple leather cases from the 5S that seem very weathered, "distressed" -- basically collecting dirt and/or looking worn and losing color -- especially the red one, which would have been my color of preference.

Do you think the Apple silicone case would hold up better, not wear out or attract dirt? Or would they have the same problem?

Are the darker colors less prone to this visible wear and tear?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

JawneeWin

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
I've never bought an Apple case before but these seem pretty nice visually -- thin, well fit, nice colors. Contours the phone well...

However, I've seen a bunch of Apple leather cases from the 5S that seem very weathered, "distressed" -- basically collecting dirt and/or looking worn and losing color -- especially the red one, which would have been my color of preference.

Do you think the Apple silicone case would hold up better, not wear out or attract dirt? Or would they have the same problem?

Price-wise, the silicon case will be your best bet.
I think both cases are durable, it's just a matter of preference of material (In my opinion lol)
The darker colors on the leather case will definitely help with getting dirty and stuff. It will still get that "worn" look overtime though.

Btw, I got the Midnight Blue one. :D Was torn between brown or blue. I chose the blue to see how I'd look like with that "worn in" look over time. I had the brown one when I had my 5s.

Sugadaddy

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010
I bought the black apple silicone case for my 6. Almost got the leather one, but I'm the type that buys one case and keeps it until I change phones. The leather cases wear down, and lighter colors are worse.

AWDV8TT

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
People need to keep in mind that the leather wearing and changing colors is by design. It's one of the things that is best about it.

dagdagdag234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Apple iPhone 6 leather case vs Apple silicone case?

I get that the leather is leather and acts like leather. I guess I just wondered which colors age best. The red I saw looked dirty and gross, whereas I'm hoping maybe the brown just ages like a wallet or something and gains "character" without looking too skeevy. I wonder how the blue would do

bulldoze

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
I am undecided between the leather and the silicone, the most important thing for me would be which has the grippier feel.

Anybody know?

Sugadaddy

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010
Yeah, leather wears, but these cases wear fast. My leather wallet is 10 years old and still looks fine. Apple leather cases look bad after 2 weeks.

The silicone is grippy, I think more than the leather one.

zea mays

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
I am undecided between the leather and the silicone, the most important thing for me would be which has the grippier feel.

Anybody know?

The silicone is a sueded silicone. It's very smooth and not slippery, it's definitely is not a tacky silicone. It feels very similar to my iPhone 5 leather case, but not as premium feel. If you've felt a non-leather Apple iPad SmartCover, it feels identical.

fobioid

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2015

I got the dark blue silicon case when the 6S released. The corners are starting to loose the first layer of silicone, which is barely noticeable to anyone besides me. It does tend to pick up a lot of dust from my pocket and oil from my hand.

Cowmonk

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2014
Edinburgh
I have a 6+ with the Apple leather case. I'm very careful with my stuff to the point that I was starting to think about not using the case any more. On Friday I dropped my phone on the kerb on my walk to work. Yes I screamed like a schoolgirl (I'm definitely not one).

Anyway, the phone is still pristine (phew), but the leather case is pretty wrecked. The corner that must've taken the brunt has a huge chip out of it. And there's a load of scratches (almost fraying chunks of leather) elsewhere on the case.

Yes, the case saved the phone, but now I'm thinking I'll have to buy a new case and probably will go silicone in the hopes that it'll last a bit better (till next October :p)

Joeyy

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2015
Personally, I prefer the silicone, feels better in hand and do not get any scratches (although the case attract lint and fibers).

I got the leather case for a present, I used it only for a month and half-
Leather probably wears and get patina but i did not like the case.
it gets dark, from navy blue to black. As well the lower edges start to crumble

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.