Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
I've set up a little company aimed at giving young filmmakers the chance to make some more constructive content aimed at helping them understand briefs, client communication and feedback whilst also giving them the opportunity to make some money at the same time!

I'm not here to 'sell' that now but I am interested in knowing what some members of this community might find useful from a social media point of view.
What sort of content excites you and keeps you engaged? We aim to run pages through various social media platforms but I want to make sure I have a clear strategy for content before starting.

I realise that it can be really tricky to get the balance right between showcasing content and also ending up bombarding the users with things.

Any suggestions on what you would be appreciated!

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
aimed at giving young filmmakers the chance to make some more constructive content aimed at helping them understand briefs, client communication and feedback

Can you explain this a little more?

As far as what content excites me, I like engaging clips of performances, also epic action sports like the the Art of Flight trailer. As far as content delivery I try to stick with my niche which is high quality (mostly) music performances, sequence shots and edited content. Commercial content as well... I think the key for many filmmakers and content producers is to develop a niche so that your returning users or customers know what to expect, sort of like tuning in to MacRumors, we come here because we know to expect Apple/Mac Rumors... end users and clients like that too, that's why some more famous filmmakers like Michael Bay and Quentin Tarantino are known for their style, because they stuck with it and developed it.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Can you explain this a little more?

As far as what content excites me, I like engaging clips of performances, also epic action sports like the the Art of Flight trailer. As far as content delivery I try to stick with my niche which is high quality (mostly) music performances, sequence shots and edited content. Commercial content as well... I think the key for many filmmakers and content producers is to develop a niche so that your returning users or customers know what to expect, sort of like tuning in to MacRumors, we come here because we know to expect Apple/Mac Rumors... end users and clients like that too, that's why some more famous filmmakers like Michael Bay and Quentin Tarantino are known for their style, because they stuck with it and developed it.

Thanks for the feedback. I've been tasked with essentially building a community and keeping them engaged. So it's a mixture of posting the right content whilst also trying to find things that they will react to.

At the moment I feel like I should possibly post once a day with each day having the same theme each week. So maybe it's the best trailer of the week on Friday or talk about gear on a Monday. That way I have structure and it enables me to plan content for the future quite easily.

The difficulty I find is that a lot of people get obsessed with gear. All you have to do is look at the forums here to see most of the questions are about cameras and editing software rather than the craft of filmmaking!

Thanks again for your thoughts.

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Why not start and find out how many people are interested in your idea?. Secondly most people would love to make video's from music to stories.
Once you get a feedback from members on this forum you should roughly know what direction to go.
Yes I agree the magic topic is all the different camcorders and what they can do.Like you I'm a story video film maker.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Why not start and find out how many people are interested in your idea?. Secondly most people would love to make video's from music to stories.
Once you get a feedback from members on this forum you should roughly know what direction to go.
Yes I agree the magic topic is all the different camcorders and what they can do.Like you I'm a story video film maker.

The idea has interest. We've been running various test case studies and have had promising results.

I think a mixture of technology posts and actual filmmaking theories and practice posts will be a nice mix.

The difficulty is coming up with content as I don't want to be just another site that reblogs everyone else.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I find the creative process (no matter what the field) endlessly fascinating.

So I'd be likely to click on through to the filmmaker's narrative of getting the idea, seeing that it might work, modifying it, discovering what had to be changed once shooting began, and the same for editing.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
I find the creative process (no matter what the field) endlessly fascinating.

So I'd be likely to click on through to the filmmaker's narrative of getting the idea, seeing that it might work, modifying it, discovering what had to be changed once shooting began, and the same for editing.

I think seeing the full story (i.e. pre-prod, production and editing) makes a big difference as too often I see an article just on the editing process or the pro-prod and it doesn't allow me to see the full picture!

Thanks for sharing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.