Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMuffStuff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
Hey guys, first post here! Heres my short buying dilemma.

Ive always loved OSX and always loved apple, and always wanted a mac mini. Well now I have some money and i'm willing to buy one. I want a mac mini because of how small, portable, and hassle free they are. I have a fully built 8 core windows PC desktop that I use for gaming and just general web browsing and so on, kind of an overkill but I love it. I want a mac mini just so I can browse, iMessage, enjoy OSX, and just do fun basic computer stuff that I usually do on my overkill PC. I would love and wait for a new mac mini but im very impatient and apparently no one knows if one is really getting a refresh this year. Im willing to buy used and found some mid 2011+ for under 500 or around 500. Do you think it would be worth it to buy used or refurbished 2011, 2012 for just basic web browsing and sorts, or should I just wait for the new one to come out and spend 600+. Im not going to do anything intensive on it, just because I have my PC for that. Thanks guys!

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
If all you are doing is browsing and iMessaging, then you might as well go ahead and get one from the Apple refurb store and be done with it. If new ones come out, most people predict a stronger integrated graphics and possibly PCIe storage, neither of which is necessary for basic computer use.

yukyuklee

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
Boston, MA
You can always try Craigslist I found one and got a great deal on a mid 2011 2.5ghz i5 for $360
Also I purchased the data doubler from OWC with a Crucial 256gb ssd sata3 on sale for under $100 But as rumors are coming out I would wait for the refresh from Apple

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.