Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
I have a gs5 running 4.4.4 and 2 co workers got the new iPhones.

First thing we did was load up this HD picture of a tiger on all 3 phones and everyone at work all agreed the gs5 blew them away including the people with the iPhone.one kid said I wish the iPhone had an amoled screen.

We then used the phones just doing reg things and both Iphones were lagging big time.The home screen swiping back and forth was not even close to as fluid as my gs5 was and I was even surprised because all I ever read about is how smooth iOS is vs android and I'm sorry the new iphones were not smooth at all.Both co workers agreed and one said it will get fixed with an update.

We then compared the camera and the gs5 simply took a better picture and was a lot more clearer in detail then both iphones.

Take it for what its worth but this was our real world test and everyone agreed the gs5 was better then both iphones.

PS I'm not a paid troll and I wish we got the testing on video to post.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
The home screen swiping back and forth was not even close to as fluid as my gs5 was and I was even surprised because all I ever read about is how smooth iOS is vs android and I'm sorry the new iphones were not smooth at all.

You mean the iPhones were actually stuttering when you swiped just the home screen back and forth?

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
You mean the iPhones were actually stuttering when you swiped just the home screen back and forth?

Yes they were not very fluid at all.The best way I can explain it is like 30fps vs 120 fps

My phone was so much snappier and fluid.the swiping felt like slow motion delay compared to the gs5

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Yes they were not very fluid at all.The best way I can explain it is like 30fps vs 120 fps

My phone was so much snappier and fluid.the swiping felt like slow motion delay compared to the gs5

That's quite astonishing. Even my old iPhone 4S is smooth as a baby's bottom when I swipe the home screen back and forth.

So the new iPhones were continually stuttering then? My Note 2 has a tiny lag when I swipe the home screen, but that's more like the screen catches up to my finger after a fraction of a second and from that point on the movement is 100% smooth.

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010

Hmm, I wonder if the new iPhones have a 30hz refresh rate compared to the Galaxy S5's 60hz. This would explain not-so-fluid transitions between home screens on the iPhone.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
The 6 plus was noticeably worse then the reg 6 and now you mention it maybe the iPhone is set for a lower refresh rate.

I think it will get patched up with an update though.its not really fair to compare out the box firmware because my gs5 ran like ass when it first came out.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Hmm, I wonder if the new iPhones have a 30hz refresh rate compared to the Galaxy S5's 60hz. This would explain not-so-fluid transitions between home screens on the iPhone.

No, the iPhone has been 60Hz for as long as I can remember. When I had my Galaxy S5 I compared it extensively to my iPhone 5S and I felt that my iPhone was smoother than my S5. So, I'm not sure what was being experienced with these phones.

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
No, the iPhone has been 60Hz for as long as I can remember. When I had my Galaxy S5 I compared it extensively to my iPhone 5S and I felt that my iPhone was smoother than my S5. So, I'm not sure what was being experienced with these phones.

Oh, quick google agrees with you. My mistake :)

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
Might be just the response time of the amoled screen vs the LCD but who knows.

This was taking from a review on the gs5 screen.not sure what the new iphones times are but we def noticed a difference

----------

Lastly, the Samsung Galaxy S5 screen has the fastest response time in the industry with a .01ms reading. That means the display does not lag, under all temperature conditions.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I have some difficulty believing this post. AMOLED isn't as good as IPS.

Super amoled has come a long way from the past, check out displaymate reviews of both the S5 screen and note 4. You have flawless color accuracy and the whites are almost perfect. IPS is no longer the king of screens and hasn't been since the S5.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Super amoled has come a long way from the past, check out displaymate reviews of both the S5 screen and note 4. You have flawless color accuracy and the whites are almost perfect. IPS is no longer the king of screens and hasn't been since the S5.

I can believe the Note 4 display to be perfect but not the S5 display.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Stuttering when scrolling home page? I find it hard to believe. How much is Samsung paying you for disinformation? I guess Apple will sell 1 millions phone less this weekend. NOT!!!!!

Actually iphone 6 and plus lags, just check the main iphone forum on here...the stuttering is true

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Actually iphone 6 and plus lags, just check the main iphone forum on here...the stuttering is true

I see no threads about stuttering issue at least not on first page. Nvm another Samsung fanboy passing disinformation.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I see no threads about stuttering issue at least not on first page. Nvm another Samsung fanboy passing disinformation.

Actually check first several pages, you Apple fans delete those threads pretty quickly to hide the failures of your devices.....

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Actually check first several pages, you Apple fans delete those threads pretty quickly to hide the failures of your devices.....

Another insecure Samsung marketing at work. I guess you just signed up with MR just to brainwash people.

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

Apple fans don't delete threads. Mods do and the ones here are top notch. Thank you for not contributing to the forums, though.

----------

Another insecure Samsung marketing at work. I guess you just signed up with MR just to brainwash people.

You don't have to say "insecure". It's implied with "Samsung Marketing".

The new ads scream desperation.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Apple fans don't delete threads. Mods do and the ones here are top notch. Thank you for not contributing to the forums, though.

----------

You don't have to say "insecure". It's implied with "Samsung Marketing".

The new ads scream desperation.

Links to lag posts....for your information :rolleyes:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1785430/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1785455/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1784739/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1785418/

Last edited by a moderator:

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
It proves nothing. Reading at the replies implies nothing about ip6 lags in general. Probably just another Samsung spy doing their "job" to brainwash people.

It lags and it will continue to show overtime especially with 1 gb of ram, the device is practically a lemon with nice looks....I even call my iPad air a lemon since safari sucks so much....

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
I'm surprised this thread has gone on for 17 replies and it's still remarkably civil.

Both S5 and the new iPhones are great devices in their own right.

Of all things the OP decided to pick at, it's the homescreen. No recent device lags on their home screen. Can we just call this thread finished, and stop giving attention where it doesn't benefit anyone?

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
It lags and it will continue to show overtime especially with 1 gb of ram, the device is practically a lemon with nice looks....I even call my iPad air a lemon since safari sucks so much....

My 5S is lag free with 1gb RAM and what does it have to do with Safari? Now you know why your Samsing phone needs 2gb just to keep up with iOS. Touchwiz is bloated piece of junk. I hope one day when you work at pharmacy, seeing people pay with Apple Pay just don't freak out since you couldn't do that with Samsung.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
My 5S is lag free with 1gb RAM and what does it have to do with Safari? Now you know why your Samsing phone needs 2gb just to keep up with iOS. Touchwiz is bloated piece of junk. I hope one day when you work at pharmacy, seeing people pay with Apple Pay just don't freak out since you couldn't do that with Samsung.

Actually I wouldn't, nfc has been a standard on android phones...I'm sure by then Samsung would have even better nfc support options...Apple pay seemed like the only decent feature you guys got lol....:D and I have an excellent browsing experience on touchwiz with no lag or application crashes unlike you guys with new iPhones. My next phone will be the note 4, a device that makes the iPhone 6 plus look two years old.....this forum is for alternative device users and you are still defending ios, there is a forum for that....

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Actually I wouldn't, nfc has been a standard on android phones...I'm sure by then Samsung would have even better nfc support options...Apple pay seemed like the only decent feature you guys got lol....:D

No it won't. Nfc has been on Andorid for years but you can't do much besides change settings with NFC tags, file sharing and not much else. Good luck using that 10 year old finger print reader on Samsung phones to pay with nfc.
Weird I've seen more crashes on Touchwiz than another other skin Android OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.