Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
Right now I'm using an asus x202e laptop and am planning to buy a 2013 macbook air customized with 8 gb of ram, 256 gb ssd storage and a 1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7. The asus x202e I use right now can handle what I do quite well for a laptop it's size however the power clearly isn't enough. I design tarpaulines that are normally aroun 10 meters by 15 meters or more, working at resolutions of at least 300 ppi. I was wondering if the macbook air would be able to handle that? I want a macbook air mainly because of it's portability and was wondering if it would be wiser to get a mac mini that's fully tricked out. keep in mind that as a student I'm always on the go which is why I tend to go for the more portable options.

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
Right now I'm using an asus x202e laptop and am planning to buy a 2013 macbook air customized with 8 gb of ram, 256 gb ssd storage and a 1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7. The asus x202e I use right now can handle what I do quite well for a laptop it's size however the power clearly isn't enough. I design tarpaulines that are normally aroun 10 meters by 15 meters or more, working at resolutions of at least 300 ppi. I was wondering if the macbook air would be able to handle that? I want a macbook air mainly because of it's portability and was wondering if it would be wiser to get a mac mini that's fully tricked out. keep in mind that as a student I'm always on the go which is why I tend to go for the more portable options.

With those specs, you may want to look into a 256GB/8GB/i5 13" rMBP. It has a much nicer 2560x1600 IPS display, and will be a little more powerful than a MBA. It weighs about half a can of coke more than the MBA, and will most likely fit your needs better.

The only downside is the lower battery life. It actually has a smaller footprint than the MBA, and for the configuration you are looking at, it is a much better deal to get the rMBP. Just my opinion. Your current computer looks like it is not great for professional work. Any of Apple's computers will work better, but the rMBP's display would most likely benefit you most. If you are doing most of your work on an external display, the decision is a little more tough.

Matt

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia

I believe the MBA is perfect for your needs.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
The Air would be good for you but so would the 13 inch retina pro. When you compare the i7/8/256 Air with the i5/8/256 retina 13 pro, the price difference is only 50 dollars (Air is cheaper). If you are going to be working primarily without an external monitor, I just can't in good conscience recommend spending 1500 bucks on an Air with a TN display in 2014. The Air's display is okay, but it really cannot compare to retina or other high end display's.

The best thing to do is go to a store and compare the display's. The Air will give you 3 more hours of battery life. If that would matter to you.

Brun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
decided

Thanks guys, I've decided to hold off for now considering that the mid 2015 version is coming out and I'm not really in a very immediate need for a replacement however if I do think that I will get a 13 inch macbook pro if I can't hold out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.