Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mcfire12

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
Trying to get my iTunes up and running on the new to me iMac, I cleaned up, and added all songs to my iTunes, but then when I go to add a new album to the external that I downloaded on my iMac, It won't let me add any files. I pulled the hard drive from my old junk desktop and made it an external, been fine for 2 years. When I looked at the info for the external I found that it's NTFS formatted and sharing and permissions - you can only read

How do I go about using this with my iMac without loosing 7000 songs?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Turn the hard drive to a NAS so read the blog post
The Best USB NAS Adapters
or put shareware on your Mac that you have to paid update at every Mac upgrade like Tuxera or NTFS.

You best bet would be get another larger external, formatted for OS X. The trough your Boot Camp and get the Windows shareware Mac Drive and put both drives on the Boot Camp partition and copy the music files to the Mac formatted disk. When that is finished boot back into OS X and the launch iTunes while holding down the 'option' key and choose the new iTunes Library location.

The third way is get a new router that you can plug and share a hard drive on it. This way it will be shared a accross your network.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Trying to get my iTunes up and running on the new to me iMac, I cleaned up, and added all songs to my iTunes, but then when I go to add a new album to the external that I downloaded on my iMac, It won't let me add any files. I pulled the hard drive from my old junk desktop and made it an external, been fine for 2 years. When I looked at the info for the external I found that it's NTFS formatted and sharing and permissions - you can only read

How do I go about using this with my iMac without loosing 7000 songs?

OS X can by default read but not write to NTFS. To write to an NTFS drive you will need to add something like Paragon NTFS for $19.95.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.