Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Saw this movie on Blue Ray a while back, and it was on HBO last night.
Really enjoyed it, so others here what do you think?
Yes - it's related to photography ...

Walter Mitty: When are you going to take it?

Sean O'Connell: Sometimes I don't. If I like a moment, for me, personally, I don't like to have the distraction of the camera. I just want to stay in it.

Walter Mitty: Stay in it?

Sean O'Connell: Yeah. Right there. Right here.

[reciting Life Magazine's Motto]

Walter Mitty: To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life.

Sean O'Connell: Number 25 is my best ever, the quintessence of life, I think. I trust you'll get it where it needs to go, you always do.

Besides liking the movie, I liked the end credits ....

When taking photos, how often do you stop and just be "in the moment", to realize that what you are capturing will never present itself to humanity just that way it is in the here and now, that is a humbling feeling.

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
I really enjoyed the movie as well. Especially visually! Honestly though, if I want to be "in the moment" I dont bring my camera at all.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Sean Penn is using a extremely rare Nikon F3/T champagne finish in the scene with the snow leopard.
Awesome movie! And yes it absolutely is about photography.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
I went with my GF and whilst she liked it I REALLY liked it.

I will have to make sure I grab a copy and watch it again.

Some of the comments about being in the moment are so true. I essentially started photography because I was the nervous/anxious one at social gatherings and was able to use the camera to be behind the lens instead of in front of it!

Sadly missed a few things doing it that way but I am making up for it now!

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Quote from Ben Stiller on making the movie...

"Everything that everyone does now with digital cinematography is about trying to replicate the look of film," he said. "Why do we need to replicate it when we can just still shoot on film?…I'll always be a film guy."

I enjoyed the movie and the imagery. I'm not a huge Stiller fan, except for There's Something About Mary but I thought he did great in this one. The drunk helicopter pilot was great.

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
It made me want to got to Iceland. I loved the scene when he was on the skate board.

themumu

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Sunnyvale
It was one of the most beautifully shot films I've seen in a while, though the storyline for some reason did not seem as flawlessly executed as the visuals. I got a distinct feeling that everything would make more sense had I been watching it while slightly high. ;)

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
I really enjoyed that movie, and I totally remember that line.

I can absolutely say that when I used to do nature photography, I was able to be in the moment most of the time, except when birding where it was all about the execution and capture.

Back in my scuba diving days, concurrent to my nature photography, I set a goal for myself not to miss the experience by doing underwater photography until I hit 100 dives. After 100 dives, I decided I simply had no need to do anything but be in the dive.

Nowadays, with the family, I have to bounce in and out of it if I have my gear with me.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
I just saw that movie last night and really enjoyed it. I was impressed by the “in the moment" scene. On a recent trip to see national parks and monuments I made a conscious effort to do just that. :D

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
.... was on flight to Japan a few weeks back and saw this again ... definitely repeat viewing value ....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.