Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a new version of Mail for OS X Yosemite, fixing an issue that could prevent users from composing a message. The update is available to all developers with the Yosemite Developer Preview installed, as well as public beta testers.

The software can be downloaded through the software update function of the Mac App Store.

mailupdate.png
A new public beta version of Yosemite and Yosemite Developer Preview 8 were released last week, on Monday. The software is expected to continue on in its beta testing phase until late October, when it will be released to the public.

OS X Yosemite brings several new features to the operating system, including Continuity, which offers unprecedented integration between iOS and OS X. The operating system also includes a complete visual overhaul with a flatter iOS 7-style look.

Article Link: Apple Releases OS X Yosemite Mail Update for Developers and Public Beta Testers

GatorGhost

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2014
Fixed my send mail issues!

It fixed my inability to send or forward mail from my AOL account, however I was using AIRMAIL as a backup and now it has send mail issues from my AOL account. Gotta love computers don't we?

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Great to see this updated so quickly - Mail has been driving me insane since the last release.

Looks like it's all back on.

5735guy

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
London, United Kingdom
OS X Yosemite is a Monumental Release so the boxes need to be ticked 100%

Wow, this is the first time I've ever seen a core app (minus iTunes and Safari) being updated separately in Software Update.

Just one more indication OS X Yosemite will have less bugs compared to other releases when it is set free to the public.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Not sure if the last DP fixed it, but I'm now able to use Time Machine for Mail, whereas previously it crashed almost immediately.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I was unable to archive or delete messages from my gmail account, Whenever I did they would just re-appear in my inbox. hopefully this fixes that.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
I pray it is not because they think Yosemite is "done", cause there it is still somewhat buggy. Epecially Safari is still a mess, needs to be restarted once in a while to render correctly again.

RobFog

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2012
I pray it is not because they think Yosemite is "done", cause there it is still somewhat buggy. Epecially Safari is still a mess, needs to be restarted once in a while to render correctly again.
I’m very confident it’s about fixing a major issue which might keep people from testing Yosemite.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Glad to see this. Mail has been hit-or-miss for me, often hanging for several minutes upon quitting. If I deleted a message, the opened mail window would stay there even though the message was removed. The more fixes Apple can apply to Mail, the better.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Hope if fixes the memory runaway problem. Several times it has eaten up all of my memory. Activity Monitor was showing 64GB in use for Mail. It has happen more since DP8. Fingers crossed.

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
Good to see. I had all sorts of issues thru June and July with use of an Exchange account with Mail, causing the app to crash.

When the dust settles, this OS may just force a hardware upgrade for me. My 2009 machine isn't doing that much better on the latest version... LOTS of fan noise, slowness, and I think it either comes down to use of a Core2Duo processor, and/or slower 7200 RPM drive.

I only just installed the latest update yesterday, and in the process of just watching H264/Flash videos, I've had three kernel panics. Never experienced them on any other Mac OS before.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2013
Wow, this is the first time I've ever seen a core app (minus iTunes and Safari) being updated separately in Software Update.

Then you must have missed the multiple times that Apple was forced to update mail under OS X Mavericks when it debut last year.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
I was foolish enough to think this was going to solve my Mail memory issues that forced me to revert to DP7. Unfortunately, I'm back to having the same memory leak in Mail, pegging ram usage at 10+ gb's just writing simple emails. Bug report sent - let's see if I'm the only one out there having issues like this. I'm guessing no and hopefully Apple will get back to me with some suggestions or a new release. Otherwise I'm going back to DP7 again as that was perfectly stable for me. If I didn't have a full time job, I would dive into the code to see what's gotten borked between the two DP's, but I have better things to do with my life.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
Interesting. I have just one bug with Mail that I noticed yesterday. I've been running Yosemite almost exclusively since the first public beta.

When composing a new message and adding an attachment after an address is entered, the app freezes and needs to a force quit. This bug doesn't happen if the attachment is added first and then address entered second.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.