Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

electrodyne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
My iMac got the MacKeeper malware virus a few months ago. Here's some of the symptoms this:

- Safari and Google Chrome do not work at all. They open but are useless.

- Unable to install any Apple Software updates.

- Preview crashes immediately after opening it.

- Firefox operates but it always crashes.

- Unable to open Adobe Creative Cloud after paying or it.

- iTunes DOES worked but no longer does (more on that in a bit)

Over the last 10 weeks, my computer has gone from slightly wonky to worse.

Thinking this was something I might be able to find, delete and fix on my own, I searched the official Apple forums and found a thread that suggested using the EasyFind App to find any files and delete them.

It was recommended I search for "zeobit", "mackeeper" and "jvsearch" for any hidden files that are affecting my iMAc. Searches for zeobit and "mackeeper" came up empty. Jvsearch, however,, had hundreds of files and they did not all seem like they were viruses.

As a related side note, one thing I noticed was that, when starting up my computer, the iCal date on the dock would always say July 17, until programs in the computer kicked in. This was the same date the MacKeeper pop-ups started happening, and I was unable to use Safari.

I noticed a bunch of the jvsearch files that turned up in the EasyFind search had the date July 17, 2014. Thinking I was "onto to something brilliant", I deleted only the jvsearch files with the July 17, 2014 date. Trash was secured & emptied, then I rebooted the computer.

Not only does the computer run much worse than before, I can no longer open iTunes or Pages!!! I tried downloading iTunes again and got an error.

Any suggestions on what, if anything, I can do to fix this?

The iMac is a 2008-2009 model that was bought used. I don't have the start up disks. Running OS 10.7.5 on it.

My apologies for the long explanation, but it's a crazy, compounded problem. Any suggestions or help is most appreciated! Thanks in advance.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
Nuke and pave.

It's the only way to be sure.

Make sure you destroy the partition also, and recreate it.

Use internet recovery as your OS source.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Any suggestions on what, if anything, I can do to fix this?

I think the best thing at this point is to copy an personal data like documents etc to an external drive or USB key, then start over with a full disk erase and reinstall of the OS. This will wipe your iLife apps and any other apps on there, so if you don't already own them in the App Store you will need to purchase them or reinstall them.

Hold command-optionr (all three keys at once) when booting. Enter your wifi into then you will see a spinning globe while the recovery system downloads from Apple's servers. Once that is done you will see this screen.

Xm7rMyl.png

Now open Disk Utility and select the drive brand name at the top of the left column above Macintosh HD. Go to the erase tab and select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in the topdown then apply that format.

Now quit Disk Utility and click reinstall OS X. Now wait while the 4.7GB OS downloads and installs. When it reboots after the install you will be prompted to setup a new account.

electrodyne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Nuke and pave.

It's the only way to be sure.

Make sure you destroy the partition also, and recreate it.

Use internet recovery as your OS source.

Pardon my ignorance here, but what is the partition I need to destroy & recreate? This is all new to me.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
You do not have to wipe your hard drive and start over. Download a program called AdwareMedic. It completely removes all traces of the malware.

I thought my only recourse was to wipe and start over. After running the program, all traces of the malware are gone. No more popups, no more having to reset my homepage.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
You do not have to wipe your hard drive and start over. Download a program called AdwareMedic. It completely removes all traces of the malware.

I thought my only recourse was to wipe and start over. After running the program, all traces of the malware are gone. No more popups, no more having to reset my homepage.

I second this. AdwareMedic does wonders!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.