Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7th Lion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
I'm looking to to purchase a 16gb iPad 2 for parents

All they would use this for would be:
- Facebook
- Facetime
- Streaming on Hulu & Netflix
- Reading ebooks

Would this device still be efficient for suggested use in 2014? Is it also something they could use for the next 2 years maybe?

MFL2012

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012

- Facebook
- Facetime
- Reading ebooks

Would this device still be efficient for suggested use in 2014? Is it also something they could use for the next 2 years maybe?

Take a look at the 4th gen on the refurb store. At $299, it's only $50 more than the 2 and has the retina screen.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

- Facebook
- Facetime
- Reading ebooks

MFL2012 is right, the 4th generation is a much better deal. The A6x processor will likely get iOS 9 and is about double the speed of the A5x (on the 3rd generation) to put it in perspective. I have the iPad Mini which is an A5 and you can tell that it isn't nearly as fast as the 4th generation iPad with Retina Display, but it still handles alright with 7.1.2.

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
Probably better off getting the ipad 3 or 4. The ipad 2 is used in education fairly extensively. If you do get one, make sure it is not running ios 8. Do not update it to ios 8 since it really is too underpowered for that. If you're buying used then there will be very little price difference between the 2, 3 and 4, if any. Personally I wouldn't buy the 2. It's pretty inferior. It has a terrible camera for doing FaceTime. And the big thing is it does not have retina display. So, for older eyes that's a bit of a problem. I would go for a 3 or 4. Yeah for streaming netflix totally forget the 2. It's just not powerful enough. Get the 4.

Sparkeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Indiana

- Facebook
- Facetime
- Reading ebooks

My kids each have an iPad 2 and one has iOS 8 on it. They both stream Netflix perfectly fine and they play games and do FaceTime on them. I have a rMini and compared to mine, they're slow, but since thats all they know it's fine. In my opinion the iPad 2 would work, depending on your budget it's always better to get a more recent device though.

yukyuklee

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
Boston, MA
I wish I told you Bestbuy was having a sale on the iPad Mini Retina's for $324.99. It went back up to $399.99... I think the form factor is perfect for your parents.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
I would not get iPad 2nd generation.

I would splurge and get the iPad Air. It is much lighter and thinner than any of the older iPad models. iPad Air is the iPad Apple should have released when it was first launched.

For a few hundred bucks more, you will be delivering a great device that they can use for many years, easy to hold, easy to carry, easy to transport, great screen. My gf isn't a computer person, but she uses the iPad Air every. Single. Day. And I think it being light, thin, and easily transportable has everything to do with it.

Especially ebooks. iPad Air is a great ebook reader, and the light weight really helps. It's worth it, trust me on this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.