Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnyboy360

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2010
Something is certainly not right. The phone is 5 days old and running iOS 8.0.2. These are some of the logs I am worried about and would like some sort of explanation and what I can do about them. Here is the list;

1 accountsd crash
2 bird crashes (No idea what they are, but its not Angry Birds, the log says it identitfied as com.apple.clouddocsdaemon. I think I fixed this by logging in and out of iCloud.)
9 ExcResources for 2 apps. How the hell can an app be using too many resources on a fast system...
2 gamed reports. Path says /usr/libexec/gamed, again, no idea.
25+ Jetsam Events
When I was hard resetting my phone, I had logs that said:
(Boot count: 0
Boot failure count: 1
Boot faults: btn_rst
Boot stage: 80
Boot app: 2681261667 (Again, nothing))
Constantly now getting seld reports. Path is /usr/libexec/seld.

I used to get tonnes of stacks+backboardd reports. Now I've sacrificed them for a load of others...

Any help, and I mean, ANYTHING, is helpful. I don't mind restoring the phone, but setting up as new is silly. The phone is 5 days old. I should not have any problem.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Brand new iPhone is also running brand new iOS version. Crash logs are very normal. It would be abnormal to not have any crash logs. Also normal are low memory logs as there is a finite amount of memory that has to be shared amongst all processes on the device.

macmacguy

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2014
Brand new iPhone is also running brand new iOS version. Crash logs are very normal. It would be abnormal to not have any crash logs. Also normal are low memory logs as there is a finite amount of memory that has to be shared amongst all processes on the device.

Good point.

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009
As the previous posters have said: crash logs are normal. What would not be normal is if you were experiencing unhanded crashes or apps. If you're not noticing any crashes back to home screen or frozen apps, etc., then the phone is behaving as intended.

Personally, I think they really should've buried the crash logs even further in the menus so that most users wouldn't ever bother finding/reading them unless instructed to do so by Apple support or an app developer troubleshooting a misbehaving app.

johnnyboy360

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2010
Very true guys thanks. But could some of these lead to why I'm not having good battery life? I mean its pretty good, was at ~20% last night with 6 hours 40 minute usage and 16 hours 41 minutes standby. But surely it should be better than that? My 5c could have done that easily.

johnnyboy360

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2010
I found something with the "seld" log. It seems that every time I switch between wifi and cellular, I get a log. And it says something crashes giving exception type "EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)" which which a quick bit of research says its terminating abnormally. But its a system process, how can that be doing something wrong? Then again, I'm not surprised considering how buggy iOS 8 has been.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I found something with the "seld" log. It seems that every time I switch between wifi and cellular, I get a log. And it says something crashes giving exception type "EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)" which which a quick bit of research says its terminating abnormally. But its a system process, how can that be doing something wrong? Then again, I'm not surprised considering how buggy iOS 8 has been.

Stop reading logs and just use your phone.

shady25

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
The only app I had crash on me was the tapatalk app. Roughly several or so times. It did this prior to iOS 8. Usually when I swipe from the lock screen to check a notification.

sscaltri

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014

I'm getting the same logs and it seems to coincide with when my wifi unexpectedly drops. There needs to be a fix. PRONTO

johnnyboy360

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2010
I'm getting the same logs and it seems to coincide with when my wifi unexpectedly drops. There needs to be a fix. PRONTO

I'm starting to get really annoyed with iOS 8 and seriously considering running 8.1 beta. Now I've started getting a problem where my wi-fi will drop and I can't scan for any wi-fi until I restart the phone. Its only just started doing it out the blue. Have not changed anything. I cannot see it being a hardware fault as its about a week old. And the battery life is getting worse, and I'm getting JetsamEvents (Low Memory logs) and mediaserverd is always the biggest process along with other Apple services that are killing my memory, so when I load an app, it seems to create a log as if to say its running out of memory...

sscaltri

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014
Patience

I'm starting to get really annoyed with iOS 8 and seriously considering running 8.1 beta. Now I've started getting a problem where my wi-fi will drop and I can't scan for any wi-fi until I restart the phone. Its only just started doing it out the blue. Have not changed anything. I cannot see it being a hardware fault as its about a week old. And the battery life is getting worse, and I'm getting JetsamEvents (Low Memory logs) and mediaserverd is always the biggest process along with other Apple services that are killing my memory, so when I load an app, it seems to create a log as if to say its running out of memory...

Same thing happens here. Running 8.0.2. Have restored the phone 3 times with one of those done as new phone set up. When it happens, I put the phone to sleep. Wait about 5 minutes. It will eventually reconnect on its own without reboot. However, while it is disconnected, I can search forever and not find one network.

johnnyboy360

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2010
Same thing happens here. Running 8.0.2. Have restored the phone 3 times with one of those done as new phone set up. When it happens, I put the phone to sleep. Wait about 5 minutes. It will eventually reconnect on its own without reboot. However, while it is disconnected, I can search forever and not find one network.

Mine is similar to it, I've not restored it as I strongly disagree with restoring it for something that shouldn't happen. I know you or someone may call me an idiot or ignorant or whatever, but when you restore it, you have to re set everything up and re download apps, etc, and you go through all that and the problem still exists. Anyways, mine will just randomly go off, I've noticed it more at night though. No specific interval of when it goes off, just whenever it decides to mess around. But yeah when its gone, I can't see any wi-fi, even when I turn wi-fi off and back on or airplane mode on and off. Shouldn't be happening.

Last edited:

sscaltri

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014
Mine is similar to it, I've not restored it as I strongly disagree with restoring it for something that shouldn't happen. I know you or someone may call me an idiot or ignorant or whatever, but when you restore it, you have to re set everything up and re download apps, etc, and you go through all that and the problem still exists. Anyways, mine will just randomly go off, I've noticed it more at night though. No specific interval of when it goes off, just whenever it decides to ****** around. But yeah when its gone, I can't see any wi-fi, even when I turn wi-fi off and back on or airplane mode on and off. Shouldn't be happening.

I wouldn't call you an idiot and I feel exactly the same way. However, I was obsessed with making this stop. I did the following yesterday. Deleted all of my icloud backups for all of my devices (ipad and iphone). Before I restored the devices, I turned off iCloud drive. Then, I went into iTunes and sync'd the devices. I also created a full backup copy of both devices on my laptop (yes, running Windows 7). When I restored the device, I turned off find my iphone. Then I went and chose Restore my device from the top section of iTunes. After the iOS is reloaded, I kept the device plugged into iTunes and you will be prompted if you want to set up the phone as new or use a backup. I chose use a backup. This will copy over all your old settings, your apps, music, etc. When that was finished, I took the device and reset the network settings (which caused a reboot). When the device rebooted, I reconnected to my home wifi. After all of this, I went in and created a brand new back up on iCloud.

Also, for both of my devices, before I established the network connection, I turned off wifi on both and reset my router. Then I turned wifi on one at a time and connected.

At this point, I considered it a 'fresh' install. Now that hasn't stopped me from disconnecting, but I didn't want some idiot at the Genius bar to treat me like the idiot. I've done my homework. I've exhausted every option. This shouldn't be happening. It could be hardware, it could be software, or it could be a combination.

I do have friends with iPhone 6 who are not dropping wifi. So I can't explain it. I just wish Apple would.

Sorry for the long rant.

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009
I do have friends with iPhone 6 who are not dropping wifi. So I can't explain it. I just wish Apple would.

There are a lot of different wi-fi routers out there with different wireless chipsets running different chipset firmwares and running different router OSes. And wi-fi is a tricky thing to get right on top of it all. It's a wonder there aren't way more problems with wi-fi connected devices.

sscaltri

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014
There are a lot of different wi-fi routers out there with different wireless chipsets running different chipset firmwares and running different router OSes. And wi-fi is a tricky thing to get right on top of it all. It's a wonder there aren't way more problems with wi-fi connected devices.

Yes, but it doesn't explain why two iphone 6's running the same iOS connected to the same network behave differently.

My friend who also has iPhone 6 can connect to the wifi at work without dropping. I drop. Go figure.

johnnyboy360

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2010
I wouldn't call you an idiot and I feel exactly the same way. However, I was obsessed with making this stop. I did the following yesterday. Deleted all of my icloud backups for all of my devices (ipad and iphone). Before I restored the devices, I turned off iCloud drive. Then, I went into iTunes and sync'd the devices. I also created a full backup copy of both devices on my laptop (yes, running Windows 7). When I restored the device, I turned off find my iphone. Then I went and chose Restore my device from the top section of iTunes. After the iOS is reloaded, I kept the device plugged into iTunes and you will be prompted if you want to set up the phone as new or use a backup. I chose use a backup. This will copy over all your old settings, your apps, music, etc. When that was finished, I took the device and reset the network settings (which caused a reboot). When the device rebooted, I reconnected to my home wifi. After all of this, I went in and created a brand new back up on iCloud.

Also, for both of my devices, before I established the network connection, I turned off wifi on both and reset my router. Then I turned wifi on one at a time and connected.

At this point, I considered it a 'fresh' install. Now that hasn't stopped me from disconnecting, but I didn't want some idiot at the Genius bar to treat me like the idiot. I've done my homework. I've exhausted every option. This shouldn't be happening. It could be hardware, it could be software, or it could be a combination.

Sorry for the long rant.

Its so strange. Its the same with the bluetooth bug in the car. My car refuses to allow a phonecall with iOS 8, a lot are having similar problems, while others are working fine. Its so annoying. I don't know of anyone else with an iPhone 6 who has this problem. At this precise moment, its working fine. We will see later.

But surely all routers have the same standard that Apple need to adhere to? And so that standard should mean it should "just work"?

If I'm honest, I can see the problems arising from the handoff stuff. The Bluetooth problem is the same thing. Apple has told some people that and told them a "workaround" which doesn't work for me. I can see Wi-Fi having the same problem as Bluetooth.

iOS 8 is like an ugly person wearing makeup. The makeup makes them look great and something you want, but wipe that away and you see the bad stuff.

sscaltri

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014
Let me start this reply stating that all of my observations are speculation based on the behavior I've observed on my phone.

Initially, I set up my iPhone 6 by using the iTunes backup I had made from my old iPhone 4. This turned out to be a big mistake. I had major wifi connectivity issues. I contacted Apple Support. They told me to restore the phone and then set it up as a new phone.

I did this. And still had problems.

I made an appt to go to the Genius Bar because I was experiencing wifi connectivity issues, but when looking at my log I had tons of seld_yyyy-mm-dd-hhmmss.iphone6.ips crashes. They gave me a new phone. Since I was determined to 'get it right', I stayed there with my laptop and took the new phone, updated the os to 8.0.2, and restored from my current iTunes backup. While in the store, I lost wifi connectivity and the "seld" crashes started.

At this point, I wiped the phone and set it up as a brand new phone (still at the Genius Bar). At first I didn't load any apps. I didn't get an seld errors and managed to stay connected to wifi. I then loaded about 6 apps on the phone, opened them up, played around some more, moved some music from iTunes to the phone. I remained connected to wifi and no "seld" crashes in my log. I do get my share of stacks+backboardd crashes.

Arrived home, connected to my wifi. Here's my observation, while I'm using the phone I remain connected to wifi. Once the phone goes to sleep for an extended period of time, and when I wake it up, it may or may not be connected to wifi. Most of the time, it will immediately connect to my wifi. Every once in a while, it'll try to connect to wifi, then immediately switch to 4g/LTE. If I go into Settings/Wifi, I cannot find my home network or guest network. If I put the phone to sleep (i.e., lock it), even for 30 seconds, then wake it back up, it'll reconnect to wifi.

I went into my router's settings and looked at the list of attached devices. I have a NETGEAR WNR2000v2. What I observed is that my iphone will drop in and out of the network while it is locked/sleep. The odd thing is that sometimes it doesn't completely drop. What I see is the MAC address listed without the device name or ip address (shows all ---- in these columns). It looks like it's in somewhat of a semi connected state (not sure what this means). Anyhow, while in this state, I decided to connect my laptop to my network to see what ip address would get assigned. My router did assign it to an unused address. I then tried to wake up the phone. Blammo. Couldn't connect to my wifi. I even started noticing degraded speeds in my network. I also want to add that I already have WMM enabled and am using WPA2.

So here's what I did. I went into my router and assigned my phone to a static ip address that would probably never be used (192.168.1.100). I then reset the network settings on my phone. When I connected to my home network on my phone, I then went into the settings for that connection, and updated the Static tab with the all of the same settings.

After all of this, here is what I've noticed. I seem to connect to my home wifi almost 100% of the time after waking up the phone. I did lose it one time after waking up the phone, but it reconnected.

To me, it appears to be an issue between my router and my phone.

My sister came over today. She has iphone 4s that is updated to ios 8.0.2 When she connected to my network, and put her phone to sleep, her phone totally disappeared from the list of attached devices. Hers didn't show up as a phantom device like the iphone 6 does when iit is asleep. My husband has an Android. His phone never drops from the network (even when it is asleep).

What all of this leads me to believe is that the new phone is not totally removing itself when it goes to sleep and when you wake it back up, it may or may not reconnect because of some glitch between the phone and the router. As other devices try to attach to the network, I'm not sure what my router wants to do with the ip address assigned to the phone (is it available or not?) For me, setting a static ip on my home network to an address that would never get used has re-mediated the problem somewhat.

I still would like to understand what the nature of the conflict is and Apple should have built this to work cleanly with all types of routers. Clearly, not everyone has an Apple Air Port Extreme!

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
Let me start this reply stating that all of my observations are speculation based on the behavior I've observed on my phone.

Initially, I set up my iPhone 6 by using the iTunes backup I had made from my old iPhone 4. This turned out to be a big mistake. I had major wifi connectivity issues. I contacted Apple Support. They told me to restore the phone and then set it up as a new phone.

I did this. And still had problems.

I made an appt to go to the Genius Bar because I was experiencing wifi connectivity issues, but when looking at my log I had tons of seld_yyyy-mm-dd-hhmmss.iphone6.ips crashes. They gave me a new phone. Since I was determined to 'get it right', I stayed there with my laptop and took the new phone, updated the os to 8.0.2, and restored from my current iTunes backup. While in the store, I lost wifi connectivity and the "seld" crashes started.

At this point, I wiped the phone and set it up as a brand new phone (still at the Genius Bar). At first I didn't load any apps. I didn't get an seld errors and managed to stay connected to wifi. I then loaded about 6 apps on the phone, opened them up, played around some more, moved some music from iTunes to the phone. I remained connected to wifi and no "seld" crashes in my log. I do get my share of stacks+backboardd crashes.

Arrived home, connected to my wifi. Here's my observation, while I'm using the phone I remain connected to wifi. Once the phone goes to sleep for an extended period of time, and when I wake it up, it may or may not be connected to wifi. Most of the time, it will immediately connect to my wifi. Every once in a while, it'll try to connect to wifi, then immediately switch to 4g/LTE. If I go into Settings/Wifi, I cannot find my home network or guest network. If I put the phone to sleep (i.e., lock it), even for 30 seconds, then wake it back up, it'll reconnect to wifi.

I went into my router's settings and looked at the list of attached devices. I have a NETGEAR WNR2000v2. What I observed is that my iphone will drop in and out of the network while it is locked/sleep. The odd thing is that sometimes it doesn't completely drop. What I see is the MAC address listed without the device name or ip address (shows all ---- in these columns). It looks like it's in somewhat of a semi connected state (not sure what this means). Anyhow, while in this state, I decided to connect my laptop to my network to see what ip address would get assigned. My router did assign it to an unused address. I then tried to wake up the phone. Blammo. Couldn't connect to my wifi. I even started noticing degraded speeds in my network. I also want to add that I already have WMM enabled and am using WPA2.

So here's what I did. I went into my router and assigned my phone to a static ip address that would probably never be used (192.168.1.100). I then reset the network settings on my phone. When I connected to my home network on my phone, I then went into the settings for that connection, and updated the Static tab with the all of the same settings.

After all of this, here is what I've noticed. I seem to connect to my home wifi almost 100% of the time after waking up the phone. I did lose it one time after waking up the phone, but it reconnected.

To me, it appears to be an issue between my router and my phone.

My sister came over today. She has iphone 4s that is updated to ios 8.0.2 When she connected to my network, and put her phone to sleep, her phone totally disappeared from the list of attached devices. Hers didn't show up as a phantom device like the iphone 6 does when iit is asleep. My husband has an Android. His phone never drops from the network (even when it is asleep).

What all of this leads me to believe is that the new phone is not totally removing itself when it goes to sleep and when you wake it back up, it may or may not reconnect because of some glitch between the phone and the router. As other devices try to attach to the network, I'm not sure what my router wants to do with the ip address assigned to the phone (is it available or not?) For me, setting a static ip on my home network to an address that would never get used has re-mediated the problem somewhat.

I still would like to understand what the nature of the conflict is and Apple should have built this to work cleanly with all types of routers. Clearly, not everyone has an Apple Air Port Extreme!

stop copy & pasting that same reply for multiple threads even when it has nothing to do with the thread..

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
The number of crash logs alone don't say much. Most of my crash logs come from one misbehaving app, and it was doing the exact same thing under iOS 7.1.2. I would actually expect a greater frequency of crashing with a new OS or with a new device. In your case, with the iPhone 6, it's all of the above.

No different than last year when the iPhone 5s came out. When iOS 7 was new and the 5s was new, the phone and apps crashed more often. No just the number of crash reports, but actual random resets and app crashes. By the time iOS 7.1.2 came out, the random resets were gone, and only a handful of apps were crashing. With iOS 8, I still don't have random resets, and only the same handful of apps crash frequently.

But surely all routers have the same standard that Apple need to adhere to? And so that standard should mean it should "just work"?

If I'm honest, I can see the problems arising from the handoff stuff. The Bluetooth problem is the same thing. Apple has told some people that and told them a "workaround" which doesn't work for me. I can see Wi-Fi having the same problem as Bluetooth.

iOS 8 is like an ugly person wearing makeup. The makeup makes them look great and something you want, but wipe that away and you see the bad stuff.

Chipset compatibility can be tricky. It's not as simple as something working just because there are established standards. They follow the same standard, but the individual implementations can be very different. It's no different than how Apple's CPUs comply with the official ARM standards, but Apple's chip designs radically depart from the ARM reference designs. Go to the support sites for router vendors like Netgear or Linksys. You'll find hundreds of threads talking about dropped connections or disappearing devices or slow wi-fi.

I would also venture to guess that most people have never updated the firmware on their router. Yet, a router model will often already have multiple updates available before the actual unit even reaches retail stores. The router that I currently use arrived at my house with firmware that was three versions behind the latest.

And very often, these updates are provided by the actual chip manufacturer and then bundled into a firmware update from the router manufacturer. Netgear and Linksys, for example, don't make the actual wi-fi chipsets. Companies like Broadcom or Atheros do. And the wi-fi chipsets in the iPhone 6/6 Plus use a new chip based on a Broadcom design. The fix very well might need to come from them.

Whenever I've switched routers, I've run into issues with individual devices. Generally, I've had the biggest issues when trying to mix devices running different protocols through the same router. I resolved these issues by updating the firmware, standardizing everything onto one protocol (i.e., 802.11n or 802.11g), and switching off backwards support for other protocols (i.e., using the "Wireless N Only" or "Wireless G Only" settings) on the router itself.

Last edited:

sscaltri

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014
stop copy & pasting that same reply for multiple threads even when it has nothing to do with the thread..
Are you the moderator? I think people should try to educate each other as informatively as possible. If my replies irritate you, just ignore them.

When you can write a grammatically correct sentence in English, I may pay attention to what you have to say.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
Are you the moderator? I think people should try to educate each other as informatively as possible. If my replies irritate you, just ignore them.

When you can write a grammatically correct sentence in English, I may pay attention to what you have to say.

clearly u didnt read but as u said u somewhat already identified that which further nullifies why u bothered to try? say something in return i guess?

copy & pasting a long reply to multiple threads out of no where when it doesnt even have anything to do with the thread, isnt "educating each other", so save it, along with that grammer police stuff

fuoco

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
What I can't remember is having them accumulate for so long. I have it set to send to Apple, but they seem to stay on the device forever. Anyone else remembers how often they would get sent and removed from the device?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.