Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Finox831

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
I really need help guys, I had an iSimple kit installed (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/isimple...003&skuId=9999193300050003&st=isnm7&lp=1&cp=1 ) in my Infiniti G35 so I can play music from my iPhone 5, it included a 30 pin male cable and a 3.5 RCA. The 3.5 RCA works fine, but I wanted to be able to play music while it charged my iPhone 5, that's why I bought the 30 pin to lightning adapter ( http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-l...1881&st=30 pin to lightning adapter&cp=1&lp=2 ).

All I get is a charge with this but it will actually not play any music and on my iphone screen it says "this device is not compatible with the accessory" or something around those lines.

Help anyone?

Last edited:

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Are you sure you have an official Apple adapter? I know some of the cheap ones don't support all features.

Also, the 30-pin connector doesn't support iPod Out or Video Out. I don't know exactly what iPod Out is, but it could be the way your car is designed to send audio, which is why it's not working.

OrderFromChaos

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
I think only the apple 30-pin to lightning adapter has the digital-to-analog convertor built-in, which is necessary since the lightning port only outputs a digital signal.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007

OrderFromChaos

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
I would think they'd be pretty identical, but when you look at the descriptions, yours says "iPod Out Not Supported" but the other one doesn't actually say that. I think that might be your answer.

This seems to be the case. I didn't know there was a difference between the two Apple adapters. Looks like only the small 30-pin to lightning adapter works for audio.

The one link in the OP states the following:
Video and iPod® out not supported.

No comment on Apple website about audio.

The small adapter that Apple makes states:
Video output not supported.

Directly from Apple website: Supports analog audio output, USB audio, as well as syncing and charging.

Shame, I was going to buy the one the OP has since it works for what I was planning on doing, but it looks like you're forced to use the small block adapter.

Last edited:

Finox831

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
Op.

I may have a solution as I have a similar setup.
Try this adapter from isimple then go to lighting cable/adapter.

Mine has worked like this. Not pretty, but effective.

scosche iPad adapter

I bought mine years ago from apple still works.

So with this I would have to connect that adapter to the iSimple 30-pin cable then connect it all to the adapter I first posted? Will all this mess with the quality of the audio?

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
So with this I would have to connect that adapter to the iSimple 30-pin cable then connect it all to the adapter I first posted? Will all this mess with the quality of the audio?

Yep. Plug isimple into that adapter. Then your apple adapter into that.
I have zero loss in any quality.

Please don't shoot me if yours does not work as mine, but I have it this way on my BMW hard wired from the trunk (cd changer/radio) to the front armrest area.

Had this setup for about 6 years. Just had to add the lighting adapter when the 5 came out.

Good luck. You can probably grab that cheap on amazon. Hope it works!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.