Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thecore762

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
I am debating if I should purchase the AppleCare+ for my iPhone 6 128GB...
I have the Zagg Glass screen protector and case for my phone but of course I am a bit concerned if I drop and my iPhone breaks in pieces...

Will Applecare cover if:
My phone bends (I am usually careful but I want to be sure this is covered)
Water damage

Should I buy it?

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
I have the Zagg Glass screen protector and case for my phone but of course I am a bit concerned if I drop and my iPhone breaks in pieces...

Will Applecare cover if:
Water damage

Should I buy it?

Yes. You have two incidents of accidental damage covered for 79 dollars to get a replacement phone.

I always recommend AppleCare because as an insurance it's as easy as just giving them the product and walking out with a new one. However, if you really do take excellent care of your phones it's certainly not needed, but if you're in question, an extra hundred is nothing compared to the original phone purchase. If you upgrade every 2 years then it's definitely good, but if you buy one every year it might not be worth it.

thecore762

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
Yes. You have two incidents of accidental damage covered for 79 dollars to get a replacement phone.

I always recommend AppleCare because as an insurance it's as easy as just giving them the product and walking out with a new one. However, if you really do take excellent care of your phones it's certainly not needed, but if you're in question, an extra hundred is nothing compared to the original phone purchase. If you upgrade every 2 years then it's definitely good, but if you buy one every year it might not be worth it.

Yep, I upgrade my phone every two years.

I am pretty good at taking care of my phones...but it seems like I'd have to be extra careful with my iPhone 6...
I've dropped my iPhone 5 few times on the carpet/road/floor but it always withstood, but I can't say the same with the iPhone 6...bigger screen means the glass will probably break a lot easier.

My iPhone 6 actually dropped last week from my desk onto the carpet...I was like wtf, noticed the alarm went off while I was in the bathroom, came back and saw my phone laying on the ground....scary sight...but no dmg.

Anyways, I will buy it tonight so i can sleep easy.

Also is it a guaranteed replacement if my phone bends? I don't wear skinny jeans and I always carry my phone on the front pockets of my pants...and I take care of my phone very well.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
Yep, I upgrade my phone every two years.

I am pretty good at taking care of my phones...but it seems like I'd have to be extra careful with my iPhone 6...
I've dropped my iPhone 5 few times on the carpet/road/floor but it always withstood, but I can't say the same with the iPhone 6...bigger screen means the glass will probably break a lot easier.

My iPhone 6 actually dropped last week from my desk onto the carpet...I was like wtf, noticed the alarm went off while I was in the bathroom, came back and saw my phone laying on the ground....scary sight...but no dmg.

Anyways, I will buy it tonight so i can sleep easy.

Also is it a guaranteed replacement if my phone bends? I don't wear skinny jeans and I always carry my phone on the front pockets of my pants...and I take care of my phone very well.

Based on what has been going around, Apple won't replace a bent phone for free, but they have offered to have a replacement for the 79 dollar price. So yeah you can get a replacement under the AppleCare for sure.

SundayDuffer

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2011
Just bought mine yesterday.

Im not sure about the guaranteed bend replacement... If my phone is bent, i'd just shatter my screen and use that as a claim.

thecore762

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
Based on what has been going around, Apple won't replace a bent phone for free, but they have offered to have a replacement for the 79 dollar price. So yeah you can get a replacement under the AppleCare for sure.

Yep, I don't mind paying for the $79, I just want to make sure it will get replaced.

Thanks for answering!

Benny-

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2009
Berlin
I picked up Apple care plus with my iPhone plus. I bought the normal Apple care with my five as Apple care plus wasn't available here at the time.
Spending seventy pounds to cover a seven hundred pounds device didn't sound too bad too bad to me.
On a side note does anyone know if Apple care plus in international.
I'm hoping that my cover bought I England will be valid in Germany.

gaz2000

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2014
I have AppleCare+ on two iPhones, my MacBook Pro Retina, Macbook Air, and Thunderbolt display.

Out of the blue yesterday my mrs' iPhone 5c developed a strange screen abnormality not due to water or drop damage as we treat our devices with the care and admiration you might a historic relic.

Went to Apple Store in Cambridge UK today and was told in no uncertain terms that I must FIRST see a Genius before any replacement or fix can be given, even though the phone is covered in 13 months of an AppleCare+ contract. No happy I called AppleCare telephone support and they confirmed they couldn't help either.
I live miles from the nearest Apple Store and work Mon-Fri like most people. Getting a Genius appointment on a weekend is basically impossible for the next 2 weeks minimum as they're simply booked up.

In short, despite speeding out hundreds of ££ on extra insurance/warranty for my item, on my very first claim I've been left out in the cold having to instead send the phone away and be without the phone for at least 5 working days.

Honestly, my bank account phone insurance is just as good as AppleCare and I'll definitely think twice before ever buying it again.

Be warned.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx

Will Applecare cover if:
Water damage

Should I buy it?

Yes buy it! I have had it for all of my previous iphone models. When I dropped my iphone, and the screen broke, I took it to the apple store and swapped it out for $50! However it's $75 now I think. But it's better than spending $200 or more on a replacement

BigHonkingDeal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2009
Fort Pierce

I always recommend AppleCare because as an insurance it's as easy as just giving them the product and walking out with a new one.

Well, I would say it's on case by case basis..... For instance, my upcoming iPhone 6+ will be iPhone number 8 for me. With no Apple Care+ I am $700.- ahead.

If you only break one screen during the time you own it it will cost you $178 (79 + 99) with Apple Care+ and $ 130 as a regular repair.

My wife on the other hand.....

So it depends on how clumsy one is :)

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
USA
if you had the plus I would say get applecare, but since you have the regular iphone 6. I wouldn't worry about it since its not as valuable as the plus.. Trade that thing in before the 14 day exchange window and get a better phone.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Always good to have. Some people will argue that the cost outweighs the benefit especially since it went up

Rogo117

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Is the only way to purchase it through the Apple store after you've received the phone?

rritterson

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
DC USA
Check with your credit card before purchasing AppleCare+

One of my cards doubles the manufacturer warranty on all items purchased with the card. I bought my phone with it.

Another offers free insurance on damaged or stolen phones ($25 deductible, max 2 claims a year) if you pay your bill with it, so I pay my phone bill with that one.

Between the two, I have better coverage than AppleCare (I pay only $25, and can have up to 4 incidents in 2 years) for free.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Check with your credit card before purchasing AppleCare+

One of my cards doubles the manufacturer warranty on all items purchased with the card. I bought my phone with it.

Another offers free insurance on damaged or stolen phones ($25 deductible, max 2 claims a year) if you pay your bill with it, so I pay my phone bill with that one.

Between the two, I have better coverage than AppleCare (I pay only $25, and can have up to 4 incidents in 2 years) for free.

Nice care to share with us what company that's with???

pdbennett

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2010

Wow, interesting. What credit card offers this?

I know my discover and amex cover lost/stolen items for the first 90 days or so but I've never heard of what you described.

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Anyone know what the accidental damage coverage is when bought with an Amex card?

Thanks!

dkh587

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2009
It's worth it for me because I do 2 year agreements and I plan to have my 6+ for at least 2 years. No telling what could happen within that time span. More than dropping it and breaking it can happen.. Plus your lightning cable & headphones are covered for 2 years as well :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.